Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time At Clays

ErikW

I took my brothers to a sporting clays event at Lemon Grove Gun Club (near San Diego) the weekend after Xmas. They had never shot any machine-thrown targets before, only some hand-thrown clays once years ago.

I thought maybe we could just throw the birds one at a time for them so they wouldn't be intimidated by report pairs and true pairs. No such luck; the club provided a trapper at each station. Worse still, there was a huge crowd under time pressure, so there was no patience for instruction or help.

They shot 9 and 13 out of 50 in the morning. My youngest brother, who years ago shot the hand-thrown clays like a natural, got the 13. He had to go to work so he didn't get to shoot the second 50 in the afternoon.

My other brother (a crack rifle shot but not too good with the scattergun) who shot only 9 in the morning, shot 28 in the afternoon! I only shot 27! He used my Remington 1100 and I used my Marocchi O/U. The guys in the squad couldn't believe his improvement from the morning 50 to afternoon 50.

I'm happy to say that my third week shooting trap, I was up to hitting 16 out of 25. I'd only shot s shotgun a couple of times before three weeks ago when I started trap. Sure is addictive! I really like my new (to me) Winchester Super X1 and appreciate the comments I got here on this gun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Absolutely TL! You have to know where that thing is throwing the shot in relation to your line of sight. Merlin, get a big piece of cardboard and pattern that puppy.

Sporting clays is WAY COOL. I've been shooting it for about ten years now. I use an OLD 26" barrel Lefever SXS choked Skeet - Skeet and it works quite well. This gun just naturtally fits me. I throw it up to my shoulder and just concentrate on the bird. My finger knows went to yank the triggers (yep, two) and the birds break. You could knock the gold bead off the front of that gun and I wouldn't even notice it was missing. This is the ideal setup for clays and skeet. B)

• 1 year later...

I encourage people to shoot a few rounds of skeet before they start with sporties. Skeet targets go to the same spot EVERY TIME. When you shoot sporting clays you really only see the target presentation once or twice and then you move on to a different target all together.

Rick

• 2 months later...

It's funny, I've shot various clay games and actually hunt feathered critters and now I'm curious to see how bad I might be with some kind of red dot sight. Since I point a shotgun, it might give me a point of reference, but more than likely it will degrade my performance. Damn, now I have to try it :D

Vince