Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Target Gun (Beretta 87 Target vs Hammerli 280)

mrwhite1

The Hammerli is a serious bullseye gun (note the factory supplied test target). I don't know what model that is but some you can replace the top-end with a .32 caliber top-end to shoot centerfire bullseye as well. I wouldn't use the Hammerli as a plinker or steel challenge gun because of the precious trigger. YMMV

I suppose the two guns are in slightly different categories. I've just always wanted one of those Hammerli 280s since I watched Point of No Return.

When in doubt buy them both, that's my philosophy!

I was just curious if anyone owned either and could tell me how they shot.

There are two local shooters that used to be regulars at the Circleville club that shoot the Beretta 87. It is a great little gun. I had another buddy that moved out of state that had a safe queen 89. The 89 is probably more "target" related.

That Hammerli is going to be more of a specialty gun.

I shoot an old Colt Match Target every so often...both for Steel Challenge and the occasional Bullseye match. Though...it's really not setup for either.

A good all around gun (if you plan to shoot Bullseye) is the S&W 41. Well regarded.

If you want to have some fun with a great Steel Challenge gun and not break the bank, the Browning Buckmark is a strong choice.

What are you looking to shoot ?

I got to shoot a Beretta Model 89 Target a few years back and it was impressive although still not on the Hammerli level. Since then Beretta discontinued it and brought out the 87 which I thought would be comparable. I finally got to put my hands on one last weekend and I was severely let down from my expectations. The Hammerli would be VERY cool but remember that any pistol of that style is going to require more maintenance and be very picky on ammunition compared to a Ruger, Buckmark, etc...

Edited by JoshF

I have both the Hammerli 280 and a Pardini standard, both do not lend themselves very well to any type of two handed action shooting, because ofthe grip that you literally have to 'climb into' and roll your wrist downward to line up the sights, strictly for higher level bullseye type shooting, and PLEASE limit the shooting to STANDARD velocity ammunition, dont know how many ofthese guns outthere are bing subjected to high velocity ammo slamming parts toghether needlessly...

The Hammerli is a serious bullseye gun (note the factory supplied test target). I don't know what model that is but some you can replace the top-end with a .32 caliber top-end to shoot centerfire bullseye as well. I wouldn't use the Hammerli as a plinker or steel challenge gun because of the precious trigger. YMMV

The 280 was a very nice gun that could take a 32 top end. They are still fairly expensive and are really only suited for bullseye or international target shooting. It is also long out of production and the parts are disappearing pretty fast. Unless you're looking to get really specialized a Marvel conversion on a 1911 base is a very good target pistol and is widely used for bullseye

I was looking in the gallery and a guy has a custom Limcat 22 open gun he had built. Definitely awesome looking gun!

I wouldn't be opposed to making a custom sti w/ 22 slide. How accurate are these conversions?

Edited by mrwhite1

I was looking in the gallery and a guy has a custom Limcat 22 open gun he had built. Definitely awesome looking gun!

I wouldn't be opposed to making a custom sti w/ marvel slide. How accurate are these conversions?

I've seen the same pistol. Why don't you send him a PM? I'm sure that person would give you all the input you needed.

Preston

This is the Benelli target pistol I just sold. They are cool to shoot, but really built for bulleye or rapid fire olympic matches. Had a fully adjustable 2 stage trigger.

DSC02890.jpg

The best target .22 in my cabinet is the Model 41 S&W. I have owned 3 of them...this is the newest addtion...a 5.5" new model. It shoots better than I can hold it!

DSC02910.jpg

I wouldn't be opposed to making a custom sti w 22 slide. How accurate are these conversions?

I've seen the same pistol. Why don't you send him a PM? I'm sure that person would give you all the input you needed.

Preston

I already PMed him, waiting on response

That Benelli and S&W are nice!

Edited by mrwhite1