Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Boots (merged thread)

Philip Dedmon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try asking Phil Strader. He posted something way back about getting them for his store.. of course he also mentioned that the Sportsmans Guide price was under his cost, but he's a great supporter of USPSA and has a new Colt to feed :D

Got my two pairs of Scouts and one pair of Falcons... fit good. Gotta throw some different insoles in 'em and I should be happy. 11.5EE is what I ordered. I wear size 13 in

Vans and Nikes.

If anyone plans on ordering something any time soon, shoot me a PM. I've got two $5 off coupons for the Sportsman's Guide... one to each of the first two people that reply.

1 down, 1 to go. Forgot to mention, coupons good on orders of $50+. Also, there's no catch here... I believe a company of this size should have to honor ALL coupons it sends out (my way of being anti-establishment or something). ;)

Edited by 300lbGorilla

Fireant,

PM'd you the code. All gone, folks.

As far as sizing, I'd recommend finding a Bates retailer and trying a couple pairs of boots before buying. The sizing runs about the same between different styles (actually, the 11.5EE's in these boots seem ever so slightly bigger than the ones I tried at a local Bates retailer). www.batesfootwear.com

The Falcons should be good boots. I'm gonna wear them around today (about 10 hours) and break them in. Normally I don't like high boots as they slip off my heel and don't seem as stable as lower boots (like the Scouts). After trying on the Falcons and finding how supple the leather was (allowing for flexion), but also finding that they didn't allow for too much pronation or supination (the damaging side-to-side stuff that can happen).

The only bad thing about the Falcons that Sportsman's Guide sells is that they're the plain toe version... this, of course, is COMPLETELY subjective—I prefer the look of the toe of the Scouts. Next match I shoot will be in the Scouts and I'll see if I'll have less gearing-up to do once I get to the range (normally wear blue suede slip-on Oakleys and switch to Nike cleats as part of the routine).

Oh, another thing to note about these, they don't have soles that are gonna compress a bunch under the weight of us big guys (primary reason I buy Vans is that they aren't the crappy foam that most manufacturers tend to use as a sole and then glue an outsole to).

Here's my special shout-out to the Phils: THANKS!!! :D

Tried Bates SpecOps 8" I wear from and 11-1/2 to a 13 depending upon the cut. !2 seems the right length, but both the regular and wide just don't cut it for me. I am going back to Original Swat sidezips and maybe a pair of sneakers. Jody Taylor is a dealer for SWAT boots, IPSC Shooter in NC.

One thing for sure, Adidas is out. The GSG9 is light, looks cool and just does not wear. They are also a bit less than comfortable. Any boot built to the standards that they are supposed to build to should wear through the sole before it falls apart. If that is the way they want to treat a customer, then they can treat someone else.

Jim NOrman

Got my replacement boots today. They are perfect. I love the way they feel. I will be ordering a backup pair tomorrow.

I wish I would have had them for the South Carolina Sectional. Yeah, thats it. Thats why I did shoot well. I didn't have the right boots......Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

The Falcons are going back. I guess I'm not built to wear high-ankled boots. The Scouts OTOH... :D . Sof Sole inserts and they're damn near perfect for me. Hell, I paid more for my Vans from the outlet mall than I paid for these things WITH new insoles.

My recommendation: order 'em ASAP. Even I managed to swallow my pride and order from the Sportsman's Guide (long story... suffice it to say I think that they're the Microsoft of ammunition sales).

• 2 months later...

Online, the best place to buy any type of footware, including the GSG9 boots, is from Zappos They will 110% match the price of any competitor, and usually offer free shipping. So, if you want the GSG9 boots, wait until they go on sale at Botach, then order them from Zappos at the Botach price!

Whatever you do, stay far, far away from Botach. They have horrendous customer service and unethical (borderline illegal) business practices. About a year ago, I ordered a pair of Royal Robbins 5.11 pants from Botach. According to Botach's online store (run through Yahoo), the pants were in stock and would be shipped out the next day. I emailed their customer service dept to get a UPS tracking number.

After emailing them 3 different times for a week and a half, I finally get a response that, "Sorry, the pants are out of stock, we don't know when we'll get more in." Meanwhile, Botach took the liberty of charging my credit card in full, knowing full well that the item was not in stock. I was not a happy camper. :angry: Luckily, I was able to cancel the order and get Botach to reverse the charges. I have personally talked/emailed with several other people who have had the same thing happen with Botach (items not in stock when they were told otherwise, credit cards charged for items not in stock, no response from customer service for weeks, etc.)

-David

Another good thing is that Zappos.com will pay for return shipping if you don't like the shoes for any reason, and will take returns (as long as they are not used) for 365 days after the time you receive them.

You really can't beat that, and when you add the excellent prices, their price guarantee, and their enormous selection, you have a winner.

Will I have been at it again. Bought another pair of boots. My wife says I have a boot & shoe fetish.

They are the Converse Foot Force Mid 6" and they are working out to be my faverite pair. They look a little more bulky than the Bates and the others but their not once you get them on. They have a round thing in the heel that is really nice.

Here is a link to them at Brigade Quartermasters.Converse

• 4 months later...

bad flex!

i have been wearing the gsg9's for about a year now. i like the shoes, however, they do have their draw backs.

1. the price

2. hard to get on and off (for me at least) i even had zippers put in.

i just bought the bates enforcers. these boot are half the price of the gsg9's and come with zippers. now these boots need breaking in, where as the gsg9's didn't.

i had to order a half size smaller with the bates to get a proper fit. (see the above posts)

that's about where i'm at right now. i just got the bates tuesday. i wore them that day and haven't fiinished breaking them in yet. i'll keep you up dated.

lynn

I have the Converse 6" boot and they are really comfortable and half the price of Oakleys. They also come in a low cut shoe and an 8" boot and a zipper model and in black or tan. Feels just as good as the Oakleys and they don't squeak when wet.

The oakley's squeaks on wet surfaces? no more special operations....eh? the question is, do the Converse Tactical boots/shoes lasts like the Oakley's?

Where do you get the Converse from? Centurion?

*BTW, I'm looking for a shoe...not a boot! I hate boots, couldn't stand them in the military...

Got them (Converse) from Brigade Quartermasters go to: www.actiongear.com (sorry, don't know how to do the link thing yet) and they do come in a "shoe" version too (something like 14 different combinations in style and color and zipper). Only had them for a month and looks like they will last for awhile. I like the rounded heel on them too.

I got the bates scout and have been using it for months! It rocks! Grip is excellent durability excellent! Price excellent! I only use it for shooting both practice and competitions.

I love it and will recommend it to everybody here.

bates scout!

I got the bates scout and have been using it for months! It rocks! Grip is excellent durability excellent! Price excellent! I only use it for shooting both practice and competitions.

bates scout!

Ditto... only problem is they're discontinued.

Good thing I bought two pairs. :D

I'm on my second of two pairs of discontinued Dunham boots I bought on clearance at Camp-Mor. They're the best shoes I've ever owned, so now I wish I had bought several more pairs while there were still available.

I strongly urge anyone who finds shoes or boots that they love to get a few extra pairs unless you are absolutely 100% sure they will either remain in production or you will find something better in the future.

bates scout!

Ditto... only problem is they're discontinued.

Good thing I bought two pairs. :D

discontinued! damn!!!! so did they bring in a new better model? :(

• 3 months later...