Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Boots (merged thread)

Philip Dedmon

Check out This Thread for Phil Strader's boot recommendations and discussions of GSG-9 and Oakley pricing. I picked up a pair of the Bates when he mentioned it and like 'em (except for whoever decided tacky rubber was a good idea on the inside of the hightop-- a little silicone fixed that)

admin note: I merged the two threads.

Edited by Flexmoney

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a pair if the Bates Scouts from The Sportsmans Guide. Phil is right, they are really good boots and the price is great. :D After wearing them some I call and got two more pair. Now I have one pair just for shooting, one pair to keep nice to wear with my jeans and one pair put up.

Here is photo & link.

3374981-S.jpg

Sportsmans Guide

The GSG-9 boos look cool, cost lots, are not all that comfortable and don't last.

I wore mine for a year only at matches. I actually put them on after set-up and took them off before teardown. The soles seperated. I am not the only one that has had that experiance.

I am currently wearing a pair of side-zip "Original Swat" boots that I bought last March, they are just about wornout. I have worn them every day. (Ask people that know me, I wear black boots all the time) The uppers are starting to crack, the soles are a bit worn.

I just bought a pair of Bates Spec Ops, we'll see how they hold up.

My $0.02, Give the Adidas a wide berth, they aren't worth it unless they are sending them to you free.

Jim Norman

I bought a pair of Bates Falcons a couple of months back. They are far more comfortable than any other "duty" type boot I have ever worn. The sole provides good traction on all types of terrain, and as A K-9 officer I have tried all the different terrain! :wub: Sportsmans Guide has them cheap!!!!

As I read through this thread, I can't help but compare all of these great boot choices to my Wal-Mart hiking boots I got for $19. They are in 'tactical grey', have great soles for gripping in wet or dry elements, and they last for about 2 years of running and gunning. I have never slipped or fell down while wearing them. I don't think I give up anything to the other shooters wearing $250 boots.

Bates look good, I will give them a try.

I just bought a pair of Nike ACG shoes, for about $40.00 they are a good deal, traction is excelent, I have tried them in dry/wet conditions, dirt, grass, wood.

If someone tell me how to insert a jpg pixs ill post a picture...

I just ordered a pair of the Bates boots from Sportsmans Guide. For $34.97, I couldn't afford not to. Heck, if I don't like them for shooting, I can always wear them in the yard.

A friend told me they tend to run large. I wear a 9.5 in Nike and New Balance so I hope the 9.5 I ordered will fit. Thanks for the links and info. I'll let y'all know how I like them.

Jack,

I would have to agree, they do run larger than Nike. They run pretty true to size for American made footwear though, I think it's the Nike's that run small. ;)

I fit into an 11 1/2 most of the time (12 for Nike) and the Bates 11 1/2 fit just right. I hope that yours fit OK.

Regards,

Todd

P.S. See you in SC on Friday.

I guess if I don't see you wearing them, then they didn't fit... :P

I'm coming down with Ron and Mike. Phil will be home with Mom and new baby Colt. He should be back in the saddle again for the Area 6 at the end of the month.

See you soon,

Todd

My boots arrived today. I ordered a 9.5 (what I normally wear). Just like Turtle warned, they are a 1/2 size too big. So, it looks like I am sending them back. What a bummer - I would have liked to have used them this weekend. I like them alot and they feel good, but my foot is moving inside of them. They are nice and light and offer a LOT of support around my ankle. I Tried to find a local dealer but had no luck. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the 9's.

When the Dunhams disappointed me, I ordered a pair of these Propet Peak Walkers from Zappos.com on Monday and received them yesterday (free shipping). Size is 11-5E ... so if you have wide feet, this is a good choice.

38190-d.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/595534/c/3.html

I wore them to the range today. So far, so good, except the laces are almost impossible to pull through the eyelets and get them snug enough to keep from sliding around over time.

Anyway, I think they will be a winner as soon as I replace the laces with some 550 cord.

Zappos.com is a great place to get shoes too ... free shipping to you, then free return shipping if you don't like them! All you have to do is print the UPS return label from their web site and tape it on the package. They also have a nice selection of the brands with the wider sizes (Dunham, New Balance, Propet, etc.) for people who need something wider than EEE.

Edited by rhino

Wore my Scouts to the range today. Didn't do any shooting but we rebuilt an overhanging backstop above a berm.

The boots performed flawlessly. Walking along 70% inclines of loose scrub they dig in as well or better than any boot I've worn. I get the feeling they would do well in sand.

Tromping around in the ruts left by trucks during the rainy season they kept my ankles from folding over. The sides give very good support with out feeling stiff or heavy.

The insoles are solid but cushion well. The leather was a little stiff at first but after one day (~10 hours) of HEAVY use they are already softening up.

They also breathe very well. It was close to 90F on the range and sweating was the order of the day. My feet were hot but not wet. These boots can move a lot of water.

I am very impressed.

I discovered today that my new scout boots also do a great job of removing 22 brass from the range!

I guess it's necessary to clean your soles as well as your gun after a trip to the range :lol:

Other than this minor foible, after a day's wear, these boots appear to be the best value for money I've ever found in footwear.

Thanks for the pointer ...

Kevin

I learned Saturday why I need to have steel shanks in the soles of my boots. I wore my new Propet Peak Walkers to the IDPA match and I could really feel the bigger, pointier pieces of gravel through the soles. They're great for grass, dirt, and especially pavement, but I'm going to have to find another serious pair of hiking boots with steel shanks and more rigid soles for the gravel.