Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Boots (merged thread)

Philip Dedmon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philip,

Take this for what it's worth, but I wouldn't spend the money, even on a used pair. I've owned two pair (1st were free) and I've had to put more shoe-goo on those shoes than I can remember.

I've been trying a new shoe that I think everyone will be wearing soon. The Bates Spyder Scout is the 6 inch "shoe" version of their Tactical Side Zip Boot. They have a very similar sole to the GSG-9, but they last about three times longer. They pick up pieces of brass every now and then, but not as bad when outdoors. They aren't tall or bulky like most 8" boots, and they don't look retarded when you wear them with shorts.

Most importantly is the price. Here's the best offer I've found. Hell this is just over what I pay for them in my store!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97278

Give them a try. Even you if you hate them, you're only out $40!

Hope this helps,

Phil Strader

about the only place you'll find the gsg9 boots are from botach tactical:

http://store.yahoo.com/botach/adgstacboot.html

they seem to have an USA exclusive.

lynn

p. s. phil has a good point about bates boots similar tread and a lot cheaper.

i had a cobbler put zippers in my gsg9's because they are tedious to put on and take off.

Every place seems to sell the GSG-9s at full list ($252) I got mine from New York Shoes (in Texas I think - about a year ago) Zappos.com has them in stock.

Phil, could you direct me to where I might see these Bates boots you wrote about? My GSG9s have been great thus far, but given that you are far more fit than I, that may be why mine have held up so well. Of course I'm putting a lot more weight in each step so it probably helps the glue stay stuck :D

Cheers,

Ross

Let me throw in my $.02 for Bates Durashocks Model 129s.

Essentially, these are the Bates SEAL Durashocks redesigned by Denny Chalker for the desert.

Hell of a boot, especially for less than $100! Available only from Diamondback Tactical (800-735-7030); www.diamondbacktactical.com).

Michael B

I have a pair of 10 1/2 I have wore twice and stuck em in my closet. They are like brand new.. If you want em, let me know, I`ll give ya a deal on em..

I got a pair of Oakleys and will never wear the GSG9s again. The Oakleys blow them away hands down. There is so much more support for your foot in the Oakleys, especially in the ankles, it`s not even worth comparing them.

CS#158

Thanks for the link 300lb.

I`m in the process of setting up a dealer account with Oakley thru my shop right now. Shoot me an email and I`ll give you my contact info if your interested in them. They will be significantly cheaper thru me than the suggested retail on the website.

There is also a bunch on ebay.. heres the link to them..

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?c...ry=oakley+boots

Thanks,

CS#158

My division just bought the new Oakley boots for the instructors, and they're very comfortable. Then again, so is a running shoe or cross trainer. The Oakley soles don't offer nearly the same traction on dirt or grass as my Bates. They're basically just a (REALLY) big and bulky black sneaker.

Actually (on a side note) Oakley actually made a few pair of the boots with the GSG/9 type soles with the "cleats" even wrapping around the front, rear, and sides. But, they were for T&E, and never made it to production.....pity.

BTW Ross, I provided a link in my first post.

Phil

• 3 months later...

Last I grilled him about footwear, TJ wore the Adidas GSG-9 boot. Not a totally-flat sole (there are a whole lot of 1/4" bumps on the bottom), but grippy and not very cleat-like. I've not heard good things about their durability or price, and my Nike Trigo II's are super comfy so I've stuck with them.

36762-d.jpg

Full Link to Zappos (merely the first place Google found 'em)

SWEET!!! They finally have the snow camo in stock. :D

TGO and Jojo Vidanes both wear the Oakley boots. TJ's got the Adidas (as mentioned). Taran's wearing cleats (IIRC from Saturday) and I think Mike Voigt was wearing Merrell's of one sort or another... I'm pretty sure they were beige. I didn't notice what John Flentz or Glenn Higdon were wearing, unfortunately.

Methinks the saying goes something like this: "diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks." :)

I can buy the Oakleys with LE discount and they're still too high dollar for me. I've also heard that the soles aren't the best when it comes to wet conditions. Take a look at the Ridge Air Tac boot, almost all police supplys carry them and the guys I know that wear them won't have anything else. The sole is farly aggressive and the price is more to my liking too, somewhere in the $75.00 range. As soon as I wear out my current pair of Rockys I'm going to try them.

Another vote here for the Oakley Assault Boots. I wear them every day as a LE officer, and they are as comfortable as any cross-training shoe I have ever worn. They have excellent padding in the collar, great traction without "gumming up" with mud, and are super light weight. I've had mine for close to a year and they still look great.

A couple things. If you want Oakley boots go to Ebay. They are about $100 less.

If you want Adidas go to Botach.com They have them on sale pretty regular.

The Oakleys are very comfortable. They also squeak like hell when wet and sometimes after drying. They are slipperier than Adidas on wet ground. I have never slipped using Adidas but have with Oakleys The wear factor for Adidas isn't really a big deal if only using for matches. The Adidas soles self clean themselves better because of the bumps on the bottom instaed of treads. If I shot in sandy places I think the Oakleys might be better.

Bill

The real important question that nobody has asked is, What type of terrain do you plan to shoot on? While most people just look for one shoe/boot to do everything, you should have at least two pairs and probably three pairs of shoes/boots depending on what you will encounter. Boots are good for gravel (large&small), Football cleats (not soccer) are good for grass, clay, & hard mud. The are many other considerations like weight, ankle support, the actual design of the tread, and many others. If I had to choose one style, it would be based on which type of range I'll be shooting on the most.

Erik

I wear turf cleats (they're football, but soccer and baseball designs both seem to be viable alternatives). The cleats are small enough so that on gravel you still have good purchase, but big enough that once you get into harder earth, they stick like stink to poo. Sand is fine, too, as are wood or paved surfaces. Also, pretty much every other pair of turf cleats (with aggressive enough cleats) is flat-bottomed.

03813011_z.jpg

These don't have the flat bottom, but it's the kind of cleat I'm talking about. Nike Air Pro Turf Destroyer Low from Eastbay.com

My boots (that I wear every day) are giving up the farm soon ... so I ordered a size 11 4E pair of these bad boys (made by Dunham/New Balance) this morning:

53579-d.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1197501/c/72.html

They will be my all-terrain traversing foot gear. If something needs stomping, I'll stomp with reckless abandon. If something needs kicking, I'll have steel toes to kick the crap out of it. Good ankle support and protection ... lug soles for traction ... waterproof ... and shipping was free!