Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leighton Dilard

Bwana Six-Gun

Just found out today, Leighton Dilard, long time shoooter at Magnolia Rifle & Pistol IPSC matches passed away from a heart attack Friday night. Leighton was a great shooter and a friend to everyone. Always willing to help a newbie and quick to dis a an oldie :roflol:

Not only that, when my daughter had a fender bender, he fixed the car and repainted it like new for half what the body shops wanted. He was a GOOD GUY!!

We will miss him.

RIP Leighton.

Pat DeBerry

Leighton was definitely one of those individuals that was hard to miss....whether it was the shock to see that a big man could move so fast or just simply because he was a good friend to so many. In recent years, Leighton had shifted his hobby efforts to racing radio controlled cars. So in doing a search for his name in that arena, I found a post that described Leighton very well: the poster said that if Leighton had a part (spare or in a car) that somebody really needed, Leighton would not race as he would give up that part.

To some, posts like that tend to be slight exaggerations or simply glorifying one event. However, for those that really knew Leighton, stories like that were not uncommon.....and as Pat indicated, there were similar stories in all aspects of his life. Fortunately for me, I know too many of them first hand as well as Leighton was very good friend.

I was in Leigton's sqaud when he shot his first match back in 93. He was a good, big hearted fellow. Fun to shoot with...even more fun to have a beer with. As Moverfive said, he was quick on his feet shooting field courses...something you really had to see to believe.

I'm glad he was doing what he loved in the Remote control race car world. I read a post that said it happened while he was racing. They stopped the race that night out of respect. The next morning before racing began, the preacher said Leighton "Blew out instead of rusting out..."

RIP, big guy. We'll miss you.