Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marlin 1894 Questions/advice

Steveo

I'm looking to buy a Marlin 1894 for Gallery rifle shooting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallery_rifle_shooting or possibly Cowboy Action Shooting as well, I've narrowed it down to two models 1894CSS in 357/38 http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894CSS.asp OR 1894SS in 44/44sp http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894SS.asp

Any pros/cons either way?

I've realised 38sp/357mag is MUCH cheaper and more easily avalible over here (UK) but the 44 has a 20 inch barrel and is 10 shot as opposed to 18.5 barrel and 9 shot in the 38/357.Having done a little reasearch it seems you can also remove a spacer in the .44 mag tube making it a 13! could'nt see anything saying the 38/357 has a simlar spacer/limiter in the magazine tube.Any ideas if it could be adapted? possibly longer mag tube?more shots would be an advantage.

IF you can remove a magazine limiter/spacer in the 1894 CSS giving more shots this would probably make it a winner for me.

Anyone any experiance with the Skinner sight? http://skinnersights.com/3.html he does one in ss or brass which would look great with the ss rifle, the simlar XS sight only seems to be avaliable in black.

Also thinking of a Burris fast fire sight in addition for Gallery, unless there are other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

We have the competition cowboy by Marlin in 38/357. We needed no change to load 10 rounds (never tried more as that is the limit for CAS (SASS))

My girlfriend shoots one and it has been flawless since purchase. (I shoot a 1892 clone which I love) The only thing we had done to the Marlin was to have the safety spring weakened slightly - this is the one that requires the lever to be all the way up - the problem we had was when loading or with a loaded rifle - the lever would spring open part way.

I highly recommend either the Marlin or one of the 1892 clones (Rossi etc). There is a smith here in the states that smooths it out and makes it run flawlessly (stevezguns.com I think or something like that)

Good luck

Steveo,

I think I have more question for you than answers. :)

I don't shoot CAS, and all I know of Gallery shooting is what I just read in the link you provided. I am thinking though..that magazine capacity isn't really a factor in either?

The distances aren't all that far. How tight are the accuracy requirements in Gallery ?

I'd think that...other things being fairly equal...I'd want the setup that was cheaper to shoot. Competition shooters always benefit from being able to shoot more for less.

I don't know that you'd need the 20in barrel over the 18.5in. Velocity won't matter. So, you are gaining a bit of sight radius. If you go with an optic, then that is a zero sum. With irons...I might choose to have a quicker handling. (Heck, for what you are looking at, it is probably a wash either way.)

Anyone any experiance with the Skinner sight? http://skinnersights.com/3.html

I'd like to hear some feedback on those too. I've been eyeballing them for my old Model 39 (.22). These would give a real increase in sight radius. I see them recommended quite a bit. I'd wonder about a tight peep for something like CAS. I know that those would slow me down on a pistol shooting Steel Challenge. They might work out well just for the fact that the insert sizes can be changed rather readily.

Please keep us in the loop and let us know what you find.

Hello: I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45LC. I love this rifle and the look :cheers: I have only shot maybe 40 rounds threw it but it puts a smile on my face everytime. I bought it to shoot "Wild Bunch" with but moved before I got to shoot a match in Corpus. I have a Marples rear sight I installed and it works great. I want to install a fold down sight where the original rear sight was for a backup like the SASS guys do. I would get the 38 or the 38/357 model if I was to do it again. I was lucky on the 45LC purchase :devil: These are fun rifles and alot can be done to them to make them great. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Found the post 'First day at the range with tuned up 1894 ss' sorry couldn't make the direct link work http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,59213.0.html well worth searching out, which answers a few questions,thinking of using the same gunsmith Mic Mcpherson as the poster used,have a scroll down to the bottom and see what the guy can do to an 1894 CSS! 2150 FPS from a .357!

Leaning towards the 1894ss now,will deff go for the skinner sight in ss,just waiting for the £-to-$ to go back up from the slump were now in,going to cost me a bomb with customs/import duties, and tax at 17.5%,still hopefully worth it in the end.

Thanks for all the sage advice and links,I appreciate it.

Will post when I've sorted it all out.

Edited by Steveo

I have an 1894 .44 Mag that is a lot of fun. Mine is a pre-safety model. I never saw a need to cram more than 10 rounds in it, and removing the spacer can cause coil bind. Anyway, its a good rifle, I have a 2.75x scope on mine and its pretty accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

I've put in for a Marlin 1894 ss .44 on my firearms Licence (just part of the burning hoops we have to jump through in the UK)waiting to hear back from the Police if its granted.

Will keep everyone updated.

I have a tuned, tricked, and short-stroked Marlin 1894 in 45 Schofield I used when I was competing in SASS. I have owned the various 1892 clones and never found them to be able to match the Marlin in quality. I also have a big-bore Marlin 1895 take-down. I don't think you can go wrong with the Marlins, quality-wise.

The 357/38 or 44 decision is one I would make based on ammo availability and what you want to do with the rifle. For SASS all you need is the 38.

• 2 months later...

Picked up a used blue 1894C in .44 this weekend as it was at a price I couldn't refuse,shot it over the same weekend in a cowboy action competition with CAS loads and it didnt miss a beat,I'm having a gunsmith install a titanium firing pin and slick up the action as its only had less than a thousand rounds through it.

STILL want to get the ss version when possible!

• 1 month later...

Placed an order with Tim Skinner will keep you posted how it work's out when I can get over to my Range in a couple of weeks time,so far can't fault him for service,fastest replys I've ever had over the net to email questions,fairly impressive considering I'm in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 1894SS with the Skinner sight. The Skinner sight forced me to get a taller front sight, which wouldn't work with the front sight hood. I have been pretty astonished with the quality and accuracy of this set-up...I guess I expected less. Obviously this is a short range rifle, but it's very handy and doesn't kick much.