Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Explosion!!!!

Leroy

FWIW, the quote from the back of the Winnie box is:

..."Handle one at a time. NOT in bulk or primer feed devices."... (AND "Use eye protection.")

Hmmm... They sell 'em in bulk but tell us not to use them. Hmmmm... the logic is flawed. <_<

Reloading (and even shooting) is an "at your own risk" endeavor, I suppose... :huh:

Hey, hey, hey! Let's not confuse the detonation of the primer on the punch at station #2 with the detonation of a primer in or near the feeding tube. The former is just a single isolated primer that will not detonate other primers in the disc or in the tube, right? The latter is more likely to cause a chain reaction, detonating all the primers in the tube, right?

Obviously, ham-fisted user error is causing the station #2 detonation. I haven't seen a cause given for the tube detonation.

All detonations mentioned have been Federals. I think those shooters with ultra-light revolver and Glock springs should decide between the light springs and the XL650.

I always wear safety glasses but I don't wear ear protection. Has anybody suffered hearing damage from a primer detonation?

Leroy I am glad that you are OK. I have always gone slow and easy when I reload. I relax and take each pull easy. I am in no hurry. This may or may not have caused your problem and you did not tell us if you were trying to set a new record. My friend tends to go fast and has problems from time to time using the exact same equipment. One question that I have is do you have your reloader mounted on a sturdy bench? I hope you resolve your problem with the 650. I use a 1050 and a 550 both of which have proven to be excellent reloading press's.

Jim

But, both situations can/should be avoided when the person running the press pays attention.

Agreed......But in MY particular situation, I was just putting along, being careful and all of a sudden it went BANG!!!!

The one thing I really love about my 550 is the simplicity of the priming system. It just seems like it's much more safe than the 650. I had a primer go off in my 650 and it set off every primer in the "rotary" indexer and the entire tube. Man I had parts fused together, it sprayed parts all over my shop and I couldn't hear for about 2 minutes, so I sent off the entire system to Dillon, which they replaced only to be fused together again. :lol:

The 550 can easily be double-charged if your not paying attention, especially loading .45 or .40, so yes, you must pay attention to what you are doing. I wouldn't give up my 550 for anything, not even for a date with Anna Nicole Smith :wub:

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I was using Federal primers.. I have loaded around 15 k on this machine with no problems like this.. I dont really care for the way the 650 is set up in the primer system. I usually remove it and clean it every 500 rounds it is a pain .Sometime i wish I had just gotten a 550b instead. the case feeder is nice but it jams up a lot too so with all the jams, a 550b is probably just as fast. Dillion was very nice and has my replacement parts on the way I hope i dont run out of ammo befroe it gets here.

Thanks again for all the replies and have a Happy New Year and shoot and load safe and keep those saftey glassed on ..

PS> i am considering wearing ear plugs while loading too.

Boom!!! man it was loud!!!!!

Leroy