Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is more powerful

Sean Gaines

That depends upon what your maximum ability is... and who else showed up for the match. I've shot what I thought were flawless matches and lost. Other times I've been sluggish and off tempo and won. It just depends who else is shooting and what kind of a day they're having.

Chris Christian

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me right now as a C shooter just starting this sport, I'd say winning has more of an impact than losing. I havent won anything yet (havent even shot a match with a classification-shot everything as a U, haha). I think seeing my name at the top of the list whether its by class or by division will be more powerful, showing me my hard work is takingme in the right direction. Of course after the first time, i think losing may take over. Ill be pissed when i DONT see my name and will harder to get it back there!

OK, joking aside now...

For me, letting myself down seems more emotional for me, but I don't think it drives me to improve my actual shooting techniques, it drives me to improve my attitude and reactions to the let-down. I don't like the way I react when I let myself down and it is that reaction that I want to improve upon when I fail, not necessarily the performance.

From the performance aspect, it is the success that drive me to improve my shooting and be more mindful (or mindless) of the details. The success is so rewarding that I want to experience it again.

It seems to be a form of Yin & Yang for me. Both the successes and failures drive me to improve, but in very different areas. They balance each other out.

Also, I've tried to focus on the little break-throughs and personal battles won and make them out to be as big a success as I can, while simultaneously making the failures seem as small as possible. It's a constant work in progress, but attitude really is so important.

• 2 months later...

I think I try to be realistic in my match win/loose situations. I love to win and I am certainly not defeated (mentally) when I loose, but I really love beating certain shooters. I'll generally pick them out before the match or it may be a long term feud between us. Loosing always drives me harder and so before each match I'll review the things that I have been working on to make me a better shooter. If I'm too relaxed I know I won't shoot well. There has to be that edge for me. Much obliged.

Which of the two is more powerful and stays with you longer a win or a loss? which one of the two stays in your memory and is more vivid than the other.

I could still tell you about stages in the first sanctioned match I won. I couldn't tell you the date of the last one I lost.

My own thoughts on this matter have changed since this thread first started. These days I don't really care where I place in the match, I'm just focused on letting the shooting happen, seeing the sights, neither over- nor under-aiming. Truly, these days I don't even look at the score sheet.

Losing is much more powerful. I can't stand to think right now someone is shooting and dryfiring and I'm not. If I do 100 situps I do 102 because someone might have stopped at 100.

well but then you need to think to yourself how there is a point of diminishing returns from training and that is different with everyone.

. These days I don't really care where I place in the match, I'm just focused on letting the shooting happen, seeing the sights, neither over- nor under-aiming.

the actual doing of the activity is what brings the real joy

I really love beating certain shooters. I'll generally pick them out before the match or it may be a long term feud between us.

my brain doesnt have enough room to both fixate on beating people AND shooting good stages at the same time.

Edited by Field

It is ok to borrow some thoughts from great winners. I spent most of my childhood watching the best guy racing, AKA Airton Senna, to this day I still read some of his “quotes”. Here is one I remember the most;

Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that.

Ayrton Senna

I would have to say losing stays me with longest. Only because I try to learn from the things that I did wrong, and improve on those points. If you dwell only on the winning aspect, then I believe that you become arrogant and obnoxious, which no one likes around the range.

What a great topic - thank you for posting! Very interesting points on both sides.

For me I'm very competitive and I love to win. But I think what drives me more and keeps me coming back is seeing progress. I've worked really hard for each small victory along the way and I have a lot more to go. For me this is what makes it fun. I know that if I work on a skill or a mental technique or whatever it will pay off and I'll see progress.

I like to win, but I learn more from a loss. I think if I won every match I shot I would quit competing. When I lose, I want to know why, and when I discover a weak spot in my skill set I have a new thing to practice. I am fortunate that in the area I shoot that there are several very skilled shooters, and if you think you're going to beat all those guys every time you will likely be in for some disappointment, AH, but when you have that day when you get them all, well it does feel good!

• 1 month later...

Alot of information and thought so far, but I will put my two cents in. I am at the age I don't expect to win shooting against the young guys. I am 68 and only been competiting couple years. I mainly shoot against myself (unless there is someone my age or 10 years younger shooting at the time). I am class © shooter and I am trying to become an (A) shooter. What feels good to me is seeing all the other Seniors and Super Seniors lower than I am in the overall standings.

It is great feeling the recoil, smelling the powder, seeing the front sight when the gun goes off knowing you hit the target. After the stage is over you feel good about yourself about how well you shot it.

Life is great

Just curious as to what you competitive shooters think.

Which of the two is more powerful and stays with you longer a win or a loss? which one of the two stays in your memory and is more vivid than the other.

Do you love winning more, or do you just hate to lose more. I guess what I am trying to say is which of the two drives you. The thrill of the win or that you would rather die than to lose. be honest :P

I wouldnt know.

I win everytime I shoot, every match I attend.

Ill do something that makes me a winner.

When I used to run, I ran a lot of trail/road races. ON the days when I just wasn't motivated to go out and put in the miles, or make the miles I ran quality miles I always said this to myself:

"I bet he is running today."

He being the "other" guy. It worked then.

Now things have changed. I have my own reasons for competing. I love to win. I hate to lose. But I learn from both. The wins are all fair breezes and golden sunlight, at leas that is how I remember them. The losses use to be agonizing.

Now it is different in regard to losing. I never lose anymore. Sure I fail sometimes, but I always take something good away from loss, just as every victory has room for honest improvement.

Winning is worthless without losing. Attitude goes a long way in regard to coping with both.

Do you love winning more, or do you just hate to lose more. I guess what I am trying to say is which of the two drives you. The thrill of the win or that you would rather die than to lose. be honest :P

I wouldnt know.

I win everytime I shoot, every match I attend.

Ill do something that makes me a winner.

yeah rub it in, f*(ker. I still want that re-match, are you going to gator? Also love the signature... :P , this is a perfect example that the loss stays longer with me than the win. lol

I once asked Eric Graufel this same question 4 years ago. Like Brian Emos said, winning gives you the confidence to win more. He told me that after the first year where he won ever competition he competed in, he had a strong higher feeling. He said he had made a mental break through and he could no longer lose at IPSC. Everything in his head slowed while he was shooting and it was almost as if shooting A's had become boring. He also mentioned that winning so much would break the confidence of his American challengers and they would beat themselves by shooting penalty targets. What I took from that conversation was that winning is very important.

I won a practice competition in Venezula 6 years ago. I know what Eric was talking about because the next week of training was fueled with the confidence to win.