Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Falling Through a Ceiling

atlscrog

Been there, done that; twice. The first time the plaster lath kept me from going through. Would have landed on top of wooden bar top so only about 5 feet below. I ended up straddling a rafter the second time...thankfully although the pain was severe and I walked kinda funny for a few days. The floor was about 40 feet below and I doubt that the thin pile carpet glued to the concrete would have done much more than just absorb blood and goo.

Both times were due to walkways that were supposed to be in good shape but obviously were not. :blink::(

After the second one I made it my policy to not do any work in areas where falling through the ceiling is even a remote possibility.

I saw this done at a "roof-raising" party in Redlands CA once. Get together, beer and barbecue, girls in the yard making things good to eat, getting sun. Guys, stripping, resheeting and tiling a roof in one day. (Also replacing rafters or parts therof when needed.)

A guy named Carey is talking to me. We're walking the trusses up, getting ready to peel off the old lath type roofing to sheet, and I turn and he's gone! Right into the bathroom below. He sprained his ankle, but thanks to JackD. he was back on the roof in about 30 minutes.

Boy we were stupid. :rolleyes:

Right after high school I was working for an electrical contractor and had a call back on the door bell not working.

Was in the attic and found where it had been cut.

Some how found myself hanging by my armpits right above where the dining room table would sit.

Nothing hurt but my pride.

Well the home owner wasn't too happy come to think about it.

Shit happens!!

Fell through the kitchen ceiling a few years ago. Hanging from one rafter by my left armpit and a second rafter by right knee kept me from a nasty fall. No broken bones but lots of bruises. Not the highlight of my handyman skills.

Ended up repairing the drywall myself. Most can't tell the ceiling was damaged, but I see it every time I walk by the kitchen.

Bill

At a DJ gig in 2009, the DJ stage was about six feet above the orchestra at a small theatre. There was an angled backdrop behind me made of acoustic tile. I thought to myself, "I'd better not step behind me onto that."

Sure enough, the lights go down, the band starts playing and I take a step back, crashing though the backdrop and landing on top of the drummer. My head was in his lap, my ass on his snare and the tall sword/spike of his high hat just outside of my skin on my left side. Three inches over and it would have impaled me. I was seriously fortunate. Lots of brusing but no major puncture wounds.

Photos:

DJ Stage above the Orchestra

Another View

The hole I made, looking down on the drum kit

-Chet

When I was younger and stupider I worked on commercial fire sprinklers. I used to inspect the pipes 25' above the store sales floors like Sears by walking on the drop ceilings at the intersections of the grids where the wires are attached to the roof. Never fell but it wasn't due to being smart.

Jeff

When I was 10 or 11 I climbed onto the roof of a garage to retreive a ball. In the process of throwing the ball back down I managed to fall off the roof. I landed on my head on a piece of a hedge that had been cut back. Big three cornered punture wound all the way to the skull. It took the Dr. awhile to clean out all the small wood pieces and lots of stitches to close.