Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ameriglo Pro Glo Sights = Killer Glock Sight

ck1

Just posted this in a thread over at Glocktalk, but I'm so impressed with these things and the service that I received from Rick and Ameriglo, I thought I'd repost it over here since these things look like they're going to positively rock for competition shooting.

These are at the Glock stock factory height of .165" as opposed to the common in the competition scene taller .256" height, and I'm sure some may feel that a .140 wide front is not going to suit them... that said, by doing the math, these come out to about the same ratios found on the popular set-up of a longer sight radius G34 equipped with the fine Warren/Sevigny comp sights, except these are on a shorter sight radius G17 giving a slightly wider and lower format which I feel works a bit better as a do-it-all carry/comp sight package (JMHO).

Anyways, they're different and unique in the marketplace, might be something some guys over here may be looking for... Ameriglo makes sights for lots of different guns, but for Glocks, no one is currently producing nearly as many options as they are.

Here's what one looks like up close, it's a tritium dot (trijicon vial) surrounded by a bold day-glo red-ish/orange circle, .165"x.140".

AmerigloFS.jpg

Here's the post:

So I installed my Ameriglo Pro Glo front sight... It's awesome. Sucks that removing the Meprolight front was a PIA and the tritium vial and white surround melted once I got it hot enough to loosen the red loctite that was applied at the factory, but oh well, I won't be needing it anymore anyway.

These pics are lousy since they're taken with my iPhone in less than optimum lighting/focus conditions but here they are just so someone can kind of see... I have an Ameriglo pro series plain black serrated rear sight with a .180 wide notch (I don't like tritium rears, but that's just me, the Operators are the tritium version of the same sight in case you're wondering) - comes out to just about a perfect 40% light bar-to-front-sight-width ratio. (I know an extra-wide .180 wide notch may seem crazy to some, but it's all in the math and what your eyes perceive, matching the .180 notch to the .140 front looks like what you see when you're looking through a common .150 wide rear notch at a .115 wide front blade... you're eyes center it perfectly, the front doesn't "swim", don't knock it 'till you tried it.)

(Achtung!- these pics don't show proper focus, makes the front look too small, way smaller than it looks in person. - and these are shown on a G17 in case you're wondering.)

9b194877.jpg

51a781a5.jpg

a4635a38.jpg

Add a little sunlight, and holy cow that front jumps out.

4d937063.jpg

I can already tell they're super fast to pick up and the added light bars/space around the front blade should lead to more precision out around 15-25 yards, not to mention that orang-ish red is not really a color found in nature/out-in-the-world so your eyes go right to it (I think of it kind of like a fiber sight you won't break with tritium in the middle for using at night).

Just want to say that Rick and Ameriglo rule, they're making sights with options for guys who are thinking above the fray of the stupid "who's sights are brightest?" arguments and looking for something more, and they're always a better deal money-wise too, I thank them for that.

I'll put some rounds downrange and post my impressions soon... For now though, my impression is "Get a set of these."

Edited by ck1

Ok, so thanks to having a range 5 minutes from my house, first range report didn't take long...

All shots/targets are off-hand shooting good ol' WWB 115gr FMJ from the local Wallymart. Got some errands and stuff to take care of today so I shot only 100rds and was at the range for maybe 30 minutes total.

First 10 rounds cold at 10 yards, shot bang, bang, bang, etc, 1 shot per second...

dc0e1095.jpg

A little left, but it was probably just me, I was feeling pretty good about the first 10 so I pushed the target out a little further...

Here's the rest of the box (40rds) at 15 yards shooting the same way (again about 1 round per second or so), I was trying on purpose to NOT take my time... I shoot IDPA mostly so I was looking to get an idea on what these sights might do for me, this is NOT slow-fire by any means...).

c853bd14.jpg

Again, a little to the left, but my fault as usual... 1 flyer, otherwise just one big hole (but not too big... all zero's/A's).

I shot another box doing various rapid-fire from the draw drills... the front-sight-tracking was better than I've ever experienced before.

Here's a pic of approximately 30 rounds to the head back at 10 yards drawing from concealment. I did a mix of draw-to-1 shot, draw-to-double-tap, and some failure-to-stop drills (2 to the body COM, 1 to the head... that's where the other 20 rounds went, they all went through the hole I made previously, thus no pic needed!)...

I used my iPhone Surefire Shot Timer App and averaged a 1.8s first shot with a .30 split time for subsequent shots which is already better than average for me, especially from concealment using my new favorite $12 Glock Sport/Combat holster.

03afaa28.jpg

Again, still left... but I'll take it, as normally for me at 10 yards, drills to the head like this aren't nearly as pretty...

Once I got back to the house I noticed that I had installed the front sight a hair crooked to the right, so that's good news as I fixed it and that should help some in moving my shots over to the right slightly.

My first impression after shooting these new sights exactly once and not taking a whole lot of time to do it is: far and away the best sights I've ever used, period.

I'm psyched and can't wait for some more practice and my first match using these (which won't be until at least 3/13 due to my work/travel schedule which is lame).

I can already tell, these are good, and worth a try... I feel like I improved after just shooting these once, and the groupings make it painfully obvious that I've got some grip/trigger/stance work to do to stop pulling to the left... it's NOT the sights that's for sure, they rock, in the hands of someone who can really shoot, like a GM these should be SUPER FAST, I'm still new to IDPA and as of yet am an unclassified shooter... these sights will help, not hurt, my progress I'm sure.

My match gun IS my carry gun, it's a 3rd gen G17 that has a Lone Wolf 3.5 connector in it and I've done the ubiquitous $.25 trigger job to it, otherwise it's stock (stock/factory 17lb recoil spring assembly), so after loading up +P Gold Dots, it's on my hip and I'm off to knock out my errands...

Edited by ck1

Cool - thanks for posting.

Where did you buy the set up?

Thanks. I normally don't document/post that sort of thing but I'm really stoked to find this set-up... it wasn't until later in the day that I realized I hadn't been telling myself to pull the trigger straight back (the self reminder is a must for me sometimes), so that, plus my excitement to shoot the new sights (not to mention putting it on crooked like a dope) was most likely why I was pulling the shots left I think...

Bought the sights straight off Ameriglo's site (ameriglo.net), the prices are really good but use "gssf" at checkout and it's less 20%. The serrated rear I've got is in the closeout bin at $23 (GL-405L, it only lists GL-406L which is at the height for .45/10mm but just put 405L for a 9/40/357 in the comments if that's what you need), they've got other plain rears that'll work too, the front was $49... so it's a pretty economical set-up.

If you have any questions just drop 'em a call or an email, they're very helpful nice people to deal with.

Edited by ck1

Cool - thanks for posting.

Where did you buy the set up?

Thanks. I normally don't document/post that sort of thing but I'm really stoked to find this set-up... it wasn't until later in the day that I realized I hadn't been telling myself to pull the trigger straight back (the self reminder is a must for me sometimes), so that, plus my excitement to shoot the new sights (not to mention putting it on crooked like a dope) was most likely why I was pulling the shots left I think...

Bought the sights straight off Ameriglo's site (ameriglo.net), the prices are really good but use "gssf" at checkout and it's less 20%. The serrated rear I've got is in the closeout bin at $23 (GL-405L, it only lists GL-406L which is at the height for .45/10mm but just put 405L for a 9/40/357 in the comments if that's what you need), they've got other plain rears that'll work too, the front was $49... so it's a pretty economical set-up.

If you have any questions just drop 'em a call or an email, they're very helpful nice people to deal with.

I all see on the site are the green/green and green/yellow front sights. I am looking at this wrong? I did not see any with red circle.

I all see on the site are the green/green and green/yellow front sights. I am looking at this wrong? I did not see any with red circle.

The Pro Glo is listed under "Glock Front Sights" all the way at the bottom (shows NO photo). There used to be 2 types of them: square or dot around the tritium, in green around the tritium or orange around the tritium...

The one I'm showing here in this thread are the just released newest design which I believe only comes as a circle/dot around the tritium now, and the orange color has now become more of a red-ish/orange more than just a plain orange.

Wish I had a better camera on hand but here's probably the best photo I managed of showing how they look (still doesn't show clear front sight focus and really let you see the outline of the blade though):

24b338ed-1.jpg

Edited by ck1

• 11 months later...

Did you like these more than the Trijicon versions?

I am glad someone came out with something like this. The Trilux was the bomb, but went they went way, there was a gap in the market, now filled again.

I used to paint my Glock front sights with the contents of a bottle of Halloween orange nail polish. I quit because I found that, while orange is a great color for a lot of things, firing on buff colored USPSA and IDPA targets is not one of them. The color of the light brown target is too close to the color of the orange front sight, I tend to lose the front sight against the background. Though maybe having the orange insert surrounded by a black blade would cure that problem.

FWIW, these sights are now called the "Hack" sights, as it seems time has shown that both Ken Hackathorn and I must have the similar taste in fast acquisition combat sights...

It's funny though, I posted this a long time ago and my impressions/views on sights have taken kind of a 180 since, and as my skill as a shooter has improved. I still like these sights as an SD/HD set-up, and still recommend them to newer, novice shooters still developing the muscle-memory of picking up the front sight, or maybe shooters with less than perfect eyesight, but for more seasoned shooters, competition/target work, or anything requiring good accuracy beyond 7-10 yards I've become a total convert to running straight up all-black irons... JMHO here, but over time I've come to abhor all/any of the sight options out there that are at all "gimmicky", and think gaining commend of the basic fundamentals is really the best way and where it's best to put in the work, proper alignment works with ANY sights and I find the less information my brain/eyes has to decipher while acquiring a good sight picture, the more accurately I shoot, only practice truly increases speed, not crazy sights. YMMV.

Edited by ck1

sight picture seems a bit sloppy..since the bright neon washes out the black outline of the front sight..

I guess I am saying I prefer a more subtle sight picture. to me that one screams MISS NOW, MISS NOW! and later Alpha Mike NoShoot..

I used to think that people claiming they found anything other than plain black sights "distracting" were just being pretentious. As time has gone by though, and my skill level has improved, I've come to appreciate all-black sights, how they provide all the feedback you need but nothing "extra" - and now I've joined the "Anything else is distracting" club. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like an interesting option for someone who users their Glock for both carry and games.

Kinda late on this post, but ameriglo offers a rear "i-dot" configuration which is plain as you can get for the rears, but retains a rear tritium.

I am putting this on my m&p for this purpose.

I have a set of Ameriglo night sights on my carry Glock 23. They are well over 10 years old - still bright. They offer a nice thin FO front sight also. I was talking with Rick a couple of days ago. He told me I was his first dealer.