Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine cant

Loves2Shoot

Rule: F. Hold the magazine within 10 degrees of vertical (80-100° to the ground) position on the belt, no substantial forward or rear cant.

Robert Ray's clarification I got to mag pouch angle was rules says straight up no significant cant, BUT they added the max angle to be 10 degrees because of the XD/XDm mag holsters, so those that use adjustable mag pouches and cant them up to 10 degrees also.

They could have left off the "no substantial forward or rear cant" as they intend the rule to read, "Hold the magazine within 10 degrees of vertical on the belt." OR (more clearly I think) "Hold the magazine canted no more than 10 degrees to the front or rear from vertical."

Edited by Loves2Shoot

• 2 weeks later...

Scott, do you have a question in there, or are you just bit**ing? :D

I agree. Just say "don't angle them any more than XD did, and we'll all get along" or something.

There are two angles involved in how a magazine sets on the belt, forward and rear and inward and outward from the body. I was "informed" by a new SO at a match once that the magazines must be (per the rule book) straight up, and they could not cant away from your body more than 10 degrees. Reading the rule book, it made sense in reading the rule how it could be interpreted that way, so no big deal, straighten my mags up and I'm good to go.

On another forum the question comes up and I was calling Robert the next day on another clarification so I asked and he answered. Since we get a lot of rules questions asked at the shop, I try to stay up on them all and help get good info out there, I don't have time to b_tch for b_tching sake :sight:

Something I've noticed: There is no rule about how close to your body the mags must be, nor how low they can ride on your belt. I've thought about making 2 mag carriers that stick out an extra 1/2" and are still dead vertical... but I'm so damn skinny my standard ones are already an inch from my torso.

OK just because I must not be as bright as the rest, you are saying Robert Ray said it is OK to have them canted 10deg forwards, backwards, inwards or outwards.

That's the way I am reading this. I run a G-Code double mag pouch for IDPA and the first mag is canted forward and the second is straight up. I have never been dinged for it, and a lot of other guys are using it now. I don't think my G-Code is as canted as the XD mag pouch though, but I could be wrong.

OK just because I must not be as bright as the rest, you are saying Robert Ray said it is OK to have them canted 10deg forwards, backwards, inwards or outwards.

Forward and rearwards you can cant it up to 10 degrees.

There NO restriction inwards or outwards, it just needs to be "suitable" for carry.

Edited by Loves2Shoot