Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA 1911 converted to high cap frame

mscott

I have a Springfield 1911 in .40s&w that works perfectly fine. Could I buy an STI or Caspian high cap frame and send it to a good gunsmith to have the Springfield slide fitted? The SA has a ramped barrel if that affects anything. Any thoughts?

Any good smith should be able to do that, but I'd be less inclined to mess with a single stack .40 that's running properly. You probably wouldn't have any problem selling the Springer (seems to be a bit of a market for .40 Springers now) and it would probably pay for all the parts you'd need to complete a high cap gun save the frame. R,

I think fitting the new frame to the slide would be the easy part.

Then you'd have barrel fitting and timing to get right. And, you'd want to get that right, without messing with the slide and barrel (so you can swap them back to the single stack?).

If you go high mileage on either platform, the fit on one will wear. How will that impact the other platform?

Eventually, barrels wear out and need replaced. Guns loosen up. (so I hear! LOL :) )

Any good smith should be able to do that, but I'd be less inclined to mess with a single stack .40 that's running properly. You probably wouldn't have any problem selling the Springer (seems to be a bit of a market for .40 Springers now) and it would probably pay for all the parts you'd need to complete a high cap gun save the frame. R,

+1 man if you got one running right don't mess with it. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies. I guess that's about what I expected to hear. Maybe I'll just trade it off for a G35 and not worry about tuning mags and such :D

A good running single stack 40 is hard to come by. If your hankering to shoot limited you can probably sell your 40 on this forum and then just lurk around the classifieds here and USPSA and find a good STI Edge or Eagle for about $1500. The differnce will be less than the cost of the frame and smith work. And either way you have to buy mags. Best way is to subscribe to the classified and then every new post gets emailed to you. Good deals go fast and I'm talking less than 10 minutes.