Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Sticky Targets?

blind bat

Does anyone know where I can get a roll of the gel material used Crosman Gel (aka "sticky") targets? I'd like to glue/staple/mind meld some of that stuff to scaled cardboard IDPA targets.

If you haven't tried the Gel targets, they rock. At least for indoor use. Just be warned they won't hold up lots of double taps and bill drills. The plastic on the back is kind of weak. I'd suggest reinforcing the back with duct/gaff tape because the plastic behind the bullseye will give out after some hosing.

Edited by blind bat

If you don't find the gel material you might want to check out www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com The target systems will accommodate full size IDPA targets or scaled down versions as well while capturing your bb's. The CED 7000 shot timer set to the highest sensitivity level will pick up shots from 25' away.

My target / bb trap consists of a copier paper box with a USPSA/IDPA target taped to the open top, then tipped up on it's side to stand the target vertical. Tape a towel in the bottom of the box (which is the back once it's stood up) to keep BBs from penetrating.

BBs punch through the IPDA target, get trapped by the towel, and pool in the bottom for collection. I have never had problems re-using those BBs several times, either. No deformation.

I was simply hoping to keep mess of stray BBs to a minimum. I just picked up some of BAMs steel targets and now I have plastic BB shrapnel all over my laundry room. I'm thinking about taping some contact paper to the steel to catch some of the BB splatter.

I'm half-seriously thinking about building a target stand to mount to my Roomba. That way I could shoot at a moving target while it vacuums up my airsoft BBs. ;)

P.S. Freedom Trainer - Welcome to the board. Your target stands look pretty cool. I may pick one up once the weather warms up and I can shoot outdoors. I'm currently using a CED 7000 with a rigged up velcro wrist band. It picks up my shots about 75% of the time...