Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Data for .45 acp Speer Gold Dot HP 230gr

craigulator

I use mostly HS-6, AA #5, Win 231 and Clays. If anyone has any load data sources for this projectile it's greatly appreciated. I have the AA, Hodgdon, Sierra, Lee, Lyman and Hornady reloading manuals, but not the Speer manual. I am loading for self-defense in a 5" Kimber. Sources seem limited, I've checked the tacked data on here and many other sites. I ran into this problem with Remington Golden Sabers for .45 ACP but finally found something that works really close to factory.

My speer manual states load tested at 1.200 oal

AA#5 7.0-7.8

hs-6 7.2-8.0

231 5.0-5.6

clays is not listed

does it give an fps interpolation for HS-6 or any of the others? it's for self defense, so I'm not worried about it being too hot. The HS-6 will probably need to be a bit higher to get a thorough burn anyway. It's my first time loading the Gold Dots...the factory loaded stuff performs really well in my gun...i'm striving to mimic it.

My speer manual states load tested at 1.200 oal

AA#5 7.0-7.8

hs-6 7.2-8.0

231 5.0-5.6

clays is not listed

does it give an fps interpolation for HS-6 or any of the others? it's for self defense, so I'm not worried about it being too hot. The HS-6 will probably need to be a bit higher to get a thorough burn anyway. It's my first time loading the Gold Dots...the factory loaded stuff performs really well in my gun...i'm striving to mimic it.

HS-6 7.2gr 702 fps 8.0 799 fps

aa#5 7.0 687 fps 7.8 792 fps

231 5.0 683 fps 5.6 765 fps

Speer's online specs for the 230gr Gold Dot is 890 fps, and the challenge I see is finding a load that will push that fast without going into the 19,500-20,000 pressure areas. Not sure if you'll ever find the actual load, but you may be able to mimic the behavior. What I found for jacketed 230 gr bullets that looked promising included:

7.0gr IMR 800-X 900 fps (max Hodgdon load)

6.8gr Longshot 908 fps (I think this is a max too)

7.0gr SR4756 857 fps

5.1gr Solo 1000 898 (but this is a LRN so you'd presumably have to load a bit higher)

6.0gr Universal 853 fps (at 16,900 cup) so there's quite a bit of wiggle room there

The first two load are from Hodgdon so you could load down from there a bit to get your target. The other three are from handloads.com so I'd take them with a grain of salt. Everything else I saw, including Power Pistol and W231 loads looked like they were getting into some pressure.

Just as a side note, I was trying to mimic the feel of the 185gr Speer Gold Dots, which are 1,050 fps. So, I did some loads using Universal and lead bullets. One load was 6.7gr Universal and a 200gr RNFP bullet hollow-pointed to 185gr. That was okay but felt a bit hot. Duh. The other uses the 200gr RNFP lead bullets as is, but with 6.2gr Universal. This load felt very close to the Gold Dots in terms of overall recoil behavior and muzzle lift--close enough for sure to serve as a practice round.

Edited by Bongo Boy

Sticky extraction would not be a good thing, so there is a "Too Hot." I would also think you wouldnt want a lot of flash either. Stick with the mainstream 45 ACP powders, Any bullet of the same weight should use similar load data but you wil lneed a chronograph if you want to get up near max charge. There just isnt really any other way to know where you are with your gun and load combination.

Sticky extraction would not be a good thing, so there is a "Too Hot." I would also think you wouldnt want a lot of flash either. Stick with the mainstream 45 ACP powders, Any bullet of the same weight should use similar load data but you wil lneed a chronograph if you want to get up near max charge. There just isnt really any other way to know where you are with your gun and load combination.

Yeah I agree, my main concern is seating depth, this projectile is quite long @ .665, so pressure can be an issue quite readily with any of the powders and a poor/heavy crimp.

Edited by craigulator

I use Power Pistol in my JHP loads. HS-6 would be my choice from the ones you've listed.

I'm leaning towards the HS-6 myself, love how it meters.

I actually bought a pound of it last year but I still haven't loaded it in anything. I don't load very much high velocity ammo with slower powders.