Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 Model 34 Due Out When

ctkenc

Any news about when there will be a new Model G34?

When will it get to Dealers.

Will it be Gen 4, or, will it be Gen 5?

I have a current model G34 and am considering buying a 2nd one and have one set up with Sights for Outdoor IDPA Matches (Fiber Optic)

and a 2nd one for Indoor IDPA Matches, including Flashlight Shoots.

Here in New England we are Indoors nearly half the year and shoot Flashlight Matches half of that time (3 mos.)

I find the Fiber Optic Sights are great in the outdoors in full daylight but are between "No Help" and "useless" in the Low Light or Mixed Light of our Indoor Range.

Thanks,

Ken

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A little bit early to tell when you might see a G34 Gen 4 and a lot longer for a Gen 5. A FO front is a plain blade with a hole in it so spray it with lamp black for indoors and clean it for outdoors. Try it and send me the extra money so I can buy another Glock.

I was told by several at Glock that the 34/35 was at the bottom of the priority list in Gen 4 configuration for production. If we are lucky we might see them near the end of the year. 17/22 and 19/23 were their concern for now.

It would be more interesting if they told you why they carried the change over to the 17/19 because the stated reason for the dual recoil spring was to reduce the snap with the 40 S&W. The recoil assy is also different than the current subcompact 30 because there is also a steel cage over the outer spring.

I would be curious to see how they engineer the guide rod assembly for the 34/35. The new double spring will require some changes I would think.

Why? The 34/35 have always used the exact same recoil spring system as the 17/22.

Duane,

I think he might be referring to the guide rod tunnel and the change needed there. It came as a big surprise to me that the 24 I bought used the size and spring weight as my G17. The dual recoil system is a bear to rack the slide compared to a standard 17# spring but we were told it is the same spring weight.

I am still waiting for your report or Chuck's.

I would be curious to see how they engineer the guide rod assembly for the 34/35. The new double spring will require some changes I would think.

Why? The 34/35 have always used the exact same recoil spring system as the 17/22.

Duane,

I think he might be referring to the guide rod tunnel and the change needed there. It came as a big surprise to me that the 24 I bought used the size and spring weight as my G17. The dual recoil system is a bear to rack the slide compared to a standard 17# spring but we were told it is the same spring weight.

I am still waiting for your report or Chuck's.

I was referring to the tunnel. I was also thinking out loud a little, because I don't understand the double spring as well. With no guiderod extending beyond the front of the slide in recoil it might take less change than I was thinking.

So I had a chance to shoot both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks side by side last week. The biggest improvement by far was with the .40's. When shooting for accuracy the biggest thing we see with our officers is they readjust their grip after each shot because the gun torques so much they can't hold it. That was not there with the Gen 4 .40. There was a substantial difference between the two models. We had a couple firearms instructors out there as well as the Sgt. of the training unit (who is NOT a shooter). Everyone was very pleased with the .40 Gen 4. The changes between the Generations have been pretty well covered so I won't repeat them for the 15th time.

When it came to the 9mm the differnce was pretty minor. Yes it felt a bit better, but nowhere near the change exhibited in the .40. Doubles were very fast and a bit tighter with the Gen 4 9mm. Would I run right out and swap all my Gen 3 guns for Gen 4? Nope. Will the new Glocks I purchase be Gen 4? Yep. We decided that the new guns for the office will be the Gen 4 17 and we'll slowly be phasing out our .40 caliber 22's. We're keeping the .45's though, at least until a Gen 4 21 comes out.

As far as release dates, I wouldn't count on anything you hear coming out of Glock. I don't think most of them know. I spoke to several different folks at SHOT and got a different, positive answer each time. The 34/35 series or the 19/23 will be out next. The guy who sounded like he knew what he was talking about the most said the 34/35's were already in country. This actually makes more sense to me. The frame is already the same, the recoil assembly will be the same. The only modification they will need to make will be to open up the slide on the end of the gun. This would be the easiest "new" model to bring to market. Much easier than creating a new mold and recoil spring for the 19/23 series. If I was Glock I'd also want a little more street time with the existing frame design before committing to the changes by bringing out a size.

Oh, BTW, you can put a Gen 3 slide on a Gen 4 frame, but not vice versa. The front end of the Dust cover is opened up quite a bit for the Gen 4 slide to fit. When you put a Gen 3 slide on, it runs, but there's a big opening between the slide and the frame.

I've heard the same thing that Chuck reports from a reliable source in Glock-that the G34/G35 are rumored to be the next models subject to the Gen4 treatment.

I agree with everything that Chuck says-additionally, since the G19/G23 frame butts are already somewhat minimized compared to the Gen 3 standard frames, and Glock has relatively recently released the RTF2 G19/G23, it makes an intuitive amount of sense to me also that the G19/G23 Gen4s would be placed further down on the list for introduction.

Given the popularity of the G34/G35 models, and the relative simplicity of introducing them in conjunction with/shortly after the G22/G17 strikes me as a smart and fiduciarily wise thing for Glock to do-and that Gen4 versions of these Glocks would likely sell quite well within the competition (and tactical) communities.

Best, Jon

I've heard the same thing that Chuck reports from a reliable source in Glock-that the G34/G35 are rumored to be the next models subject to the Gen4 treatment.

I agree with everything that Chuck says-additionally, since the G19/G23 frame butts are already somewhat minimized compared to the Gen 3 standard frames, and Glock has relatively recently released the RTF2 G19/G23, it makes an intuitive amount of sense to me also that the G19/G23 Gen4s would be placed further down on the list for introduction.

Given the popularity of the G34/G35 models, and the relative simplicity of introducing them in conjunction with/shortly after the G22/G17 strikes me as a smart and fiduciarily wise thing for Glock to do-and that Gen4 versions of these Glocks would likely sell quite well within the competition (and tactical) communities.

Best, Jon

The G19/G23 models sell at least 6 to 1 over the G34/G35 models and it is all about money so i would think the compacts would be released first.

since the G19/G23 frame butts are already somewhat minimized compared to the Gen 3 standard frames

Are you referring to length or trigger reach? I ask because I've heard the statement numerous times in the past that the compact frames (19/23/31) have a shorter trigger reach than the service sized frames (G17/17L/22/34/35/37) but to my eyes the compact frame looks like the service frame simply cut short, and with a tiny bit of reshaping at the bottom of the backstrap. In my hands, whether I'm running a service or compact frame, my finger hits the trigger at the exact same place. Apparent trigger reach is the same.

I was talking about the bottom of the backstrap on the butt, with the standard frame Gen 3s having a more pronounced "hump" at the bottom rear (compared to the compact frame backstrap/butt area). I agree with you regarding trigger reach being the same.

Best, Jon

Best, Jon

The G19/G23 models sell at least 6 to 1 over the G34/G35 models and it is all about money so i would think the compacts would be released first.

They may sell 6 to 1 over the 34/35 series but that will primarily be due to LE and Gov't contracts. Most of those won't specify Gen 4 or 3 for some period of time. Also LE users aren't generally the ones looking to buy new guns and toss their current ones like competition/tactical shooters are. The folks the 34/35 are geared to. I'm not sure which will surface first, and Glock in their usual Sphinx like fashion either hasn't told the US folks (very likely) or they really don't know. If it was me, I'd get the bugs sorted out of the frame I have the existing mold for before making new ones. They didn't do that with the RTF and that's why the Gen 4 has a different texture.

• 6 months later...

I have a reliable source that claims the Gen4 G34 and G35 will be released next week. I won't give up my source so this info will prob fall on deaf ears. That is understandable. I assure you this isn't GlockTalk hearsay.

I actually believe this info since I just picked up my first G34 this past weekend. At least I got one in OD (and it was acquired using a certificate I won recently) so I don't have to feel too bad about it.

I might have to get another G34 if this info proves to be true.

The model G19 accounts for the most sales by model that Glock sells. That came straight from Chris Edwards mouth to my ears just a few weeks ago. The G22 is second.

I can attest to that. Everywhere I look I see G19's. Check my location and you will prob understand why. Glock probably can't make enough of them, just about everyone gets one, whether they know how to shoot it or not is another story.

I have a reliable source that claims the Gen4 G34 and G35 will be released next week. I won't give up my source so this info will prob fall on deaf ears. That is understandable. I assure you this isn't GlockTalk hearsay.

I actually believe this info since I just picked up my first G34 this past weekend. At least I got one in OD (and it was acquired using a certificate I won recently) so I don't have to feel too bad about it.

I might have to get another G34 if this info proves to be true.

don't know if it's that soon but I think your source is pretty solid that it won't be too long for the G35 anyway.

ATF gives GLOCK $40M contract.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) awarded GLOCK Inc. a 10-year contract worth up to $40 million.

The deal makes available for the first time the GLOCK 22 Gen4 and GLOCK 27 .40 caliber pistols to all ATF agents, Smyrna, Ga.-based GLOCK said.

GLOCK was chosen over others due to the new design features of the Gen4 pistol and GLOCKs Safe Action System, as well as reliability and durability that have made GLOCK pistols famous, said GLOCK Vice President Josh Dorsey, in a news release.

GLOCK said 65 percent of law enforcement agencies nationwide use the companys

Read more: ATF gives GLOCK $40M contract - Atlanta Business Chronicle

is the 27 Gen 4 too? eitherway, $40M is a lot of gun, parts whatever... good for Glock though...

Edited by Sandro