Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 or .45 in Limited Class

digerup

The biggest thing hampering more Open Glock's is optics and/or mounting systems. Early Optima's were fragile and had plastic lenses. The early Doctor's & JP's needed to be bulletproofed. And it is not as easy as drilling some holes and adding a C-More. With improvements to the slide rides and several companies starting to produce them, I think more Glock Open shooters will apear. The limitation is also present in mag capacity but is partially offset in cost because it is slap on an extension and go without the major tuning process. Open can be as easy as buying a new slide and a kit like Jager sells and adding some Taylor Frelance extensions and a Limited gun becomes an Open gun.

Will it create a hoard of GM Open Glock shooters, NO but I believe it could create a stepping stone for older shooters to get hooked to the dark side.

• 3 weeks later...

I truly believe in the next few years we will see a huge swing in what people are shooting. There is nothing wrong with the multitude of Open 1911/2011s. I'm looking at it from my standpoint, I can build an Open M&P, Glock, XD for under $1200 and probably much less than that. Yep, I can spend a lot more than that too. Now, an open STI or SVI is $2400 new or $1800+ used. You can build one, but you really don't save much and there is little work you can do yourself. When I build it, I'm gonna shoot it and enjoy it. I may never make GM with it, but I'll be able to compete and spend more on ammo and match fees.

So a Glock 35 would be a viable option in limited?

A G35 isn't just viable in limited. It has literally won the nationals before. Dave Sevigny has proven that the G35 hs very competitive in limited. Jessie Abbate may become the first female GM in limited with that or a G24 very soon.

Edited by twodownzero

I truly believe in the next few years we will see a huge swing in what people are shooting. There is nothing wrong with the multitude of Open 1911/2011s. I'm looking at it from my standpoint, I can build an Open M&P, Glock, XD for under $1200 and probably much less than that. Yep, I can spend a lot more than that too. Now, an open STI or SVI is $2400 new or $1800+ used. You can build one, but you really don't save much and there is little work you can do yourself. When I build it, I'm gonna shoot it and enjoy it. I may never make GM with it, but I'll be able to compete and spend more on ammo and match fees.

People have been saying similar things for years....hasn't happened. The "new" S_I trend is almost 20 years old now. For most folks the gun makes very little difference in how they finish, but for the folks that it does make a difference, I'm not seeing any huge swing. A few more options might come around, but that's not going to change the direction of the masses.

After you finish building it, avoid any opportunity to shoot other people's guns because you'll realize why they spent the extra money :D

I bought an XDM for my son to shoot, and he is shooting it in production. He is going to use it in limited so he can fill his mag up. I think with a trigger job it will be a very nice gun, it is the most reliable gun I own, never have had a jam. Does anyone make magwells or extended bases for the XDM? With a couple of mods I think this would make a great Limited gun.

Bart, I have shot plenty of Open guns, and I have plenty of nice 1911s. I never said the Polymers were better, just that they are different, they are taking a serious foothold, and they are very competitive. I really hope to see them run more in the Open sector.

Bart, I have shot plenty of Open guns, and I have plenty of nice 1911s. I never said the Polymers were better, just that they are different, they are taking a serious foothold, and they are very competitive. I really hope to see them run more in the Open sector.

Define a "serious foothold" ;) People have been saying stuff like that for years and it hasn't happened. Since this thread is about Limited, I'll leave it at that, but I've started a poll in the Open section so we can get some numbers rather than feelings or opinions.

There was a 35 advertised in the classified with the 9mm conversion. That would have been a perfect gun for you.

I'm not trying to flame, but I watch a guy beat the whole field with his G-34 weekly. I think a good shooter with a good gun will beat an ok shooter with a custom gun everytime. The point of my story is, become a good shooter before you get in the custom gun race.

Edited by sbo76

• 3 weeks later...