Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Detroit Bullet Trap ?

I have the opportunity to buy a "Detroit Bullet Trap" from a local shooter.

He told me that he regularly used this bullet trap for 357 mag and now no longer has a need for it.

I don't have an immediate need for this trap right now - but at the price he's selling I thought it might be nice to have just in case I get a place that I could use legally it.

Kinda overkill for airsoft :)

Has any one used these traps before?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Paul

Here's a picture.

post-3045-126624020706_thumb.jpg

I have seen them but not shot them. If you are shooting straight on, slow fire, they may be good. But I would not use one for anything else due to their limited size. Then there is the matter of ventilation, not to mention local codes.

How heavy is it and is your garage long enough to chrono? What are the neighbors going to say about the noise?

As noted in my first post "I don't have an immediate need for this trap right now - but at the price he's selling I thought it might be nice to have just in case I get a place that I could use legally it."

As an FYI - I live in a large congested city and would not use this at home (but that's not what this post is/was about).

This unit would be for use in the future on private land or in a location that I could "legally" use it.

I like the idea of the trap containing lead and I was asking about the Detroit Bullet trap unit and to see if anyone has used one of these or is familiar with this unit prior to buying.

Edited by pmd

I have owned and used 3 different Detroit 'portable' Bullet Traps in my time as a Firearms Examiner for a local Crime Lab, all of which were used indoors with plenty of ventilation. The picture supplied makes it difficult to determine the length of the trap and whether it has a pull-out tray that catches the lead and jackets. If it has this tray then it was advertised as being able to take 'any' handgun ammunition. Of course, bear in mind, this was before anything larger than .44 mag was on the market. Complete measurements of the face and the length & depth of the entire unit as well as a side picture would make it easier to tell which one you have. Mine was used daily for many years and the only maintenance required was an occasional cleaning and tray emptying. Granted My work only required firing of 8-10 rds. daily (I managed to up that number significantly to keep my eye sharp and for anger management). I also had one at home set up for .22 cal sporter rifle practice at 50 ft. A side benefit to reloaders is that copper jackets tend to separate completely making the mining of lead much easier. Hope this helps.

had never heard the term before. first thought when I saw a thread called "detroit bullet trap?" was that it was a question of some sort - my guesses for an answer were:

1) bank

2) liquor store

3) quickie mart?

-jaredr

We had a .22 rated one in the basement when I was a kid. We'd shoot 38 special PPC loads into it too. Great to have IMO if you want to function fire without driving to the range. As an FYI, a large hunk of a log works well for this as well, something in the 2' diameter range.

Uncle Tonoose Thanks for the post!

I'm going to send you an e-mail w/questions.

Thanks again.

Paul

Paul, please share that dialog here...on the forum...where we can all benefit.

I know you got some static that didn't directly address your question, but please continue the contribution to the knowledge base.

We had a .22 rated one in the basement when I was a kid. We'd shoot 38 special PPC loads into it too. Great to have IMO if you want to function fire without driving to the range. As an FYI, a large hunk of a log works well for this as well, something in the 2' diameter range.

I understand that JD Jones had/has a giant hunk of log in his basement that he used for testing the hand cannons that he makes. http://www.sskindustries.com/ssk.htm

The guy that got me into all of this built a trap that was 3 or 4 feet square. He built a wall along the long end of his basement. It made a "hallway" down one side of the basement and formed a nice shooting lane. Added extra insulation for sound dampening, and a strong vent fan at one end.

It was just a few steps from his Dillon to his testing range. Pretty neat.

I think it would be great for accuracy work, load development and .22 plinking. (ventilation being key)

Uncle Tonoose Thanks for the post!

I'm going to send you an e-mail w/questions.

Thanks again.

Paul

Paul, please share that dialog here...on the forum...where we can all benefit.

I know you got some static that didn't directly address your question, but please continue the contribution to the knowledge base.

Will do - I sent a larger picture and asked about value.

I'm suppose to pick trap up on Thursday.