Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa front serrations rule question

stryfox

Those cuts on the Caspian side reduce the weight a whopping .3 oz over no front serrations, 13.5 oz. The slide with no front serrations 13.8 oz, a Sig GSR 1911 slide 12.1 oz, a STI Trojan silde is also 12.1 oz.

I don't see how a rational person could say a slide that is 1.4 oz heavier than other standard slides is "lightened" and has a "competitive advantage."

I am not sure what point you are trying to make by comparing the weight of 2 Caspian slides and then saying that they weigh more than a completely different brand. That is like like saying that you are lightening your slide on a XD by shooting a M&P.

It is all about the fact that a line has to be drawn somewhere. "Oh it is only serrations" turns into "Oh it is only a couple of small holes"

My point was not "oh it's only serrations," per my previous post, there are MANY types of front cuts on 1911 slide, and the one he did (and the picture I posted) is common. Comparing common 1911 slides is not the same as trying to compare two dissimilar products. Since you could not put a XD slide on an M&P but you could take the lighter STI slide and put it one your frame and it would be legal should make the logic more clear.

The rules say cuts for "slide lightening" and "competitive advantage" are not legal, not that you can't change your cocking serrations, or remove them. I posted the weights to show CLEARLY, the amount of material is insignificant and should not constitute "lightening" a slide.

Using the reasoning you presented, custom gun makers couldn't etch or engrave their logos in the slide either, that removes metal also.

My point was not "oh it's only serrations," per my previous post, there are MANY types of front cuts on 1911 slide, and the one he did (and the picture I posted) is common. Comparing common 1911 slides is not the same as trying to compare two dissimilar products. Since you could not put a XD slide on an M&P but you could take the lighter STI slide and put it one your frame and it would be legal should make the logic more clear.

The rules say cuts for "slide lightening" and "competitive advantage" are not legal, not that you can't change your cocking serrations, or remove them. I posted the weights to show CLEARLY, the amount of material is insignificant and should not constitute "lightening" a slide.

Using the reasoning you presented, custom gun makers couldn't etch or engrave their logos in the slide either, that removes metal also.

Loves2shoot is dead right and the rule is pretty clear. Overthinking these things leads to this kinda discussion. No competitive advantage and in the end up to the MD to determine. If an MD says it is an advantage after discussion then ask IDPA national but seriously if it takes this much discussion to determine it then I think it is pretty obvious that "no advantage" is gained by removal and common sense interpretations of the rule win.

Joe,

The reason I mentioned "slide lightening" is because that is what the posters in the thread are referring to to make it "illegal" I was using the slide weight to give folks a "reality check" about weights.

from the IDPA rulebook index = "Slide, lightening: Removal of portions of the slide to gain a

competitive advantage."

Per the IDPA rule book for 1911's (ESP and CDP)

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):

SSP - 8. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.

ESP - 7. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.

That is all it is folks, just another common way to do the front serrations, just one cut.

Thank you for taking the time to put forth this valuable information.

This about sums it up for me.

I no longer feel like a cheat as this reasoning makes sense to me. I am not just trying to pacify myself.

I am still going to contact IDPA HQ and ask about the "carry cut" I would like to do this but I will need a clear concise answer before.

I enjoy Idpa it is a fun game and I want to play with honor. :cheers:

I will defintly post my findings. Good or bad

thank you to all the members here.

I'm going to take some pics of my current slide and the copy a picture of the slide I like from the Wilson site.

I have read rumors that a new rule book is comeing. Hopefully it will clear up some of the confusion.

Just got off the phone with Robert Ray, panel cuts where serrations should be are fine (ala the photo I posted.) Panel cuts in areas NOT in the vicinity of typical front cocking serrations are not ok.

Loves2shoot you rock!

Thanks for clearing that up!

• 2 weeks later...

Joe,

The reason I mentioned "slide lightening" is because that is what the posters in the thread are referring to to make it "illegal" I was using the slide weight to give folks a "reality check" about weights.

from the IDPA rulebook index = "Slide, lightening: Removal of portions of the slide to gain a

competitive advantage."

That is all it is folks, just another common way to do the front serrations, just one cut.

I agree, it is a cosmo issue.

Just got off the phone with Robert Ray, panel cuts where serrations should be are fine (ala the photo I posted.) Panel cuts in areas NOT in the vicinity of typical front cocking serrations are not ok.

So basically you can do what ever you want, with out going through the slide, in the area that is suppose to have serrations.

That "SSP" should read "CDP".

SSP does not allow extra checkering or serrating, cosmetic or not.

The exception would be on removeable grip panels.

Edited by RobMoore

So basically you can do what ever you want, with out going through the slide, in the area that is suppose to have serrations.

Yes, fish scales, coffin cut, serrations, cross hatch, whatever is common basically. No holes though.

That "SSP" should read "CDP".

SSP does not allow extra checkering or serrating, cosmetic or not.

The exception would be on removeable grip panels.

Yea, I typoed there.

• 9 months later...

So now with the rule book revisions the above pistol is legal....

3. Enhanced Service Pistol Division (ESP)

Addition to PERMITED Modifications/Features page 22

15. Extended slide release.

16. Customization of the slide by adding front cocking

serrations, engraving, tri-top, carry melts and high power

cuts.

17. Ambidextrous or right side magazine releases

Benny is building me a new ESP 2011 and it will have the Highpower cut and a tri topped slide. Ought to be a real looker... cheers.gif

Edited by Merlin Orr

Has always struck me as strange. Each division has a MAXIMUM weight limit and we are also barred from REDUCING the weight by cutting on the slide. There must be some very subtle advantage there.

You could shoot an early Gold Cup or Commander, they have light slides from the factory. If that helps you shoot better.

Per IDPA a full dust cover seems to be perceived as an advantage. With this thought pattern I would think that a lighter pistol is a disadvantage....?

In "other" shooting sports... Some people like Edge style with a tungsten guide rod...others an Eagle with a light slide. Really good shooters differ widely on what is the quickest and most "advantageous" gun to shoot.

Personally I think it is (more) the same as black grips to white grips. No advantage - just what an individual wants his gun to look like or feel like.

• 1 month later...

It's different though, take an example of 2 STI's with the same overall weight. Gun A has a long, wide dustcover (add 2 oz) but a lightened slide (lose 2 oz) which weighs the same as gun B with a short frame and regular slide. Gun A will shoot different than gun B, how much different will be up to each individual. Gun A will cycle faster than Gun B which is desirable by a lot of folks. Gun A has more slide energy but its extra frame mass would dampen the blow to your hand.