Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Signature Grip

RangerTrace

I had the opportunity to hold, fondle, shoot, etc. an SV Infinity with a Stainless Signature grip this week. IMHO, it felt MUCH better than a polymer S_I, grip that has been stippled contured and reduced. I was extremely impressed and will gladly spend my money on one of them.

FWIW, the grip had 120 grip tape on it. It just felt like I was able to get a really solid, "high" grip on the gun. I loved it.

Thanks SV for making such a quality improvement to the 2011/widebody design :cheers:

Grip issues

Before you start praising too much, check out post #49

You'll have to be more specific. I looked at the post and couldn't see what you're talking about. The pistol I'm talking about was a brand new SV and it was perfectly fitted with the stainless signature grip. It was not a 2011 or an older wide body with a metal SV grip fitted to it.

If you don't mind, please explain in words (not photos) what you are trying to point out.

Grandbagger,

What I meant, was that is wasn't an older pistol that had been fitted with a new grip. It was a 100%, brand new pistol. Please forgive me if my choice of words was not specific enough.

I'll give you another synopsis:

I REALLY like the new Signature grip and IMHO it is a huge improvment over the five (5) other STI pistols with polymer grips that I've owned. Also, it feels better (to me) than my single stack 1911s.

That is all I'm trying to relate. :sight:

So was post #49 in the link I posted.

Sorry Chris, but I've read that thread from top to bottom and all I've seen are refs. to the aluminum grips. I'm not arguing with you, I just didn't see anything in post 49 that talks about a Stainless steel signature grip. However, my computer could be in error. And if so, I apologize.

The pics in post #49 is a SV grip.

I'm not sure if they're the aluminum or stainless grip.

Regardless of the material or the frame its fitted to, there seems to be some issue with the metal grip.

I applaud both SVI and STI for coming out with unique products but unless they're durable and last just as long as the plastic counterparts, I can't justify spending $350+ on something that I would have to replace once a year.

May as well send a caspian to Limcat and have them do the STI magazine conversion.

Though scirroco38s (post #37) seems to have more than a few rounds down the pipe with no issues but thats a small pool to extract useful data from.

Edited by yoshidaex

To be clear, SV only makes stainless steel grips while STI makes aluminum versions and both appear to crack for some shooters as mentioned in post #49. I currently own the STI version and so far no cracks... yet.

Sv has an option for Aluminum, Stainless 416 or Steel 4140 for their grips according to their website.

To be clear, SV only makes stainless steel grips while STI makes aluminum versions and both appear to crack for some shooters as mentioned in post #49. I currently own the STI version and so far no cracks... yet.

Sv has an option for Aluminum, Stainless 416 or Steel 4140 for their grips according to their website.

Right you are... now an aluminum available from SV...

You're right, I dont see a specific reference to steel. And it's very possible this problem only exists with the Aluminum grips (both SV & STI). Dont know. But until it's proven otherwise I'm gonna stick with my plastic grips.

I agree. I'm interested in a metal (SS or aluminum) grip but not until I see the long term durability issues worked out.

I have an SV all SS gun at this time.

Six months old and no problems with the

grip at this time. Round count ?? We shall

have to see over the long haul. :sight:

PS: when I ordered the gun from Brandon,

Dec. 09 I requested an AL. grip-he told

me at that time I could NOT get the grip

in AL. and had to take the SS one. <_<

Now I wonder why!

Edited by Rolex

I have experienced both the SVI and STI metal gripe. At this time I have no metal grips on my Open guns. With all the information on metal grips I would prefer the Stainless grip from SVI. IT is considerably more expensive than the STI but of better quality. I am sure down the road the gremlins will disappear with the STI frame. But until then there will be a few problems.

You're right, I dont see a specific reference to steel. And it's very possible this problem only exists with the Aluminum grips (both SV & STI). Dont know. But until it's proven otherwise I'm gonna stick with my plastic grips.

I agree. I'm interested in a metal (SS or aluminum) grip but not until I see the long term durability issues worked out.

For all of you pistol only guys this reminds me on the JP lightened AR "aluminum" bolt carriers. They work like nothing else but dont last very long at all. So JP decided to just stop selling them in aluminum out right(only lightened steel now). Working the issues out may just mean that certain materials just cannot be used for a certain purposes ..

I have an S_V with the aluminum grip delivered in December 2008. Currently it has over 8700 rounds and no signs of issues with the grip. I actually really like the light weight and size of the grip, and have been very pleased with it.