Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upside Down Primers

gunner40sw

I have a 650 and last week I loaded up 1000 rounds of 40. Yesterday when I case checked them I found 3 with the primer inserted upside down. I have never had this happen and I am positive that when I picked the primers up they were all loaded properly. Any ideas?

Thanks Tom

I have occasion to see those... usually occurring when the primer feeding tube is nearing empty. This used to happen more often than it does NOW because I do two things to try and avoid it: 1.) tap the primer tube when it's running low to make sure no primers and hung up in the tube, and 2.) reload the primer feeding tube BEFORE it runs out of primers. The weight of the primers stacked inside tends to keep them in line and not flopping about or getting stuck in the tube cockeyed. Now, this is on a Square Deal press not a 650... but if it helps...

This may sound stupid but honestly I saw it happen so I will ask it. You do have the small primer feed tube in right? You can imagine small pimers tumbling down a large primer feed tube. Friend forgot to change it when he went from loading .45 back to loading 40. <_< TXAG

This may sound stupid but honestly I saw it happen so I will ask it. You do have the small primer feed tube in right? You can imagine small pimers tumbling down a large primer feed tube. Friend forgot to change it when he went from loading .45 back to loading 40. <_< TXAG

A good point...found that one of my six small primer tubes was actually a large primer tube with the smaller tips. Couldn't understand why I was getting those upside down primers! The tube in the machine was the small pistol, just the hand held primer tube was not.

Dillon made it right...sent me a new one no questions asked.

I have fallen victum to this exact thing aswell. It really irked me that i was having primer problems until i realized that i had made this mistake!