Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where do you buy your brass?

Corey

Just wondering for those who buy/have bought once fired brass, where do/did you go? Good or bad experience?

Ive got a decent little supply but in taking a better look, I could use a good brass purchase to hold me over for awhile.

Thanks!

Check your local range as already mentioned. But I found brass for sale at the local indoor range/gun store. While everything else is usually way more expensive than you can find it for online, the brass however, was much cheaper.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering for those who buy/have bought once fired brass, where do/did you go? Good or bad experience?

Ive got a decent little supply but in taking a better look, I could use a good brass purchase to hold me over for awhile.

Thanks!

Well, for practice use...go to the local metal recyclers. I got a FULL 5 gallon bucket for $60. Probably 75% was .40 and a nice mix of .45, 9mm, .357 sig, .38 Special..etc. The trick is to find who cleans the local police range. I did..and talked nice to the guy. He made me a deal. $60 for the bucket AND he would take back for credit anything I couldn't use (such as the .22, .25, and odd rifle calibers). I think, after the first $60, each bucket after that has only run me about $40. The reason I say 'find who cleans the police range' is MOST of it is brand name once fired brass.

Gunbroker is 'ok'...but shipping can eat up the price difference. I have been looking for .45 LC brass...they typicall list (not many sell) at $20 for 50 rounds. Add in shipping and I can buy a box of ammo for about the price (magtech is $32/box). So watch your costs...

Local craigslists can be a good resource...just be careful...there's some REALLY STRANGE people who sell on CL.

Good Luck

Undrpsi

Thanks!

Well, for practice use...go to the local metal recyclers. I got a FULL 5 gallon bucket for $60. Probably 75% was .40 and a nice mix of .45, 9mm, .357 sig, .38 Special..etc. The trick is to find who cleans the local police range. I did..and talked nice to the guy. He made me a deal. $60 for the bucket AND he would take back for credit anything I couldn't use (such as the .22, .25, and odd rifle calibers). I think, after the first $60, each bucket after that has only run me about $40. The reason I say 'find who cleans the police range' is MOST of it is brand name once fired brass.

Gunbroker is 'ok'...but shipping can eat up the price difference. I have been looking for .45 LC brass...they typicall list (not many sell) at $20 for 50 rounds. Add in shipping and I can buy a box of ammo for about the price (magtech is $32/box). So watch your costs...

Local craigslists can be a good resource...just be careful...there's some REALLY STRANGE people who sell on CL.

Good Luck

Undrpsi

THANK YOU SIR!!!! never thought about getting it from a police range. Just called my buddies at the police dept and he is on his way to my house to get two empty 55 gallon drums to replace the two full 55 gallon drums of mixed brass at their police range. Best day ever and its only 10am :cheers:

I buy on gun forums. I've never paid more than $55 shipped.

Range brass: if one has a job, one will never beat the retired guys to the brass at the range, at least not the 3-4 ranges I go to.

Corey, make sure up front that it's all LP or SP, whichever you prefer.

Def a thread revived from the past, haha. i think ive got a pretty healthy selection stocked up by now. B)

lol i never noticed the date. must have saw it on my search or something and didnt look at the date.

Thanks!

Good Luck

Undrpsi

THANK YOU SIR!!!! never thought about getting it from a police range. Just called my buddies at the police dept and he is on his way to my house to get two empty 55 gallon drums to replace the two full 55 gallon drums of mixed brass at their police range. Best day ever and its only 10am :cheers:

55 GALLON...DRUMS !!!!!!! :surprise:

Wow...now THATS being a 'range pirate'

55 Gallons?? Wow...

Undrpsi

i want to know why noone else has taken it and hope its not that freaking NT brass. Im sure they are not full drums be hell there is probably plenty in it. havent heard back from him yet, hope he was able to get them.

i want to know why noone else has taken it and hope its not that freaking NT brass. Im sure they are not full drums be hell there is probably plenty in it. havent heard back from him yet, hope he was able to get them.

If I got a 55 gal drum full of NT or any small primer brass, I'd sell what I have now and change over my Dillon to SP. :cheers:

If I got a 55 gal drum full of NT or any small primer brass, I'd sell what I have now and change over my Dillon to SP. :cheers:

I would do that in a heart beat!

I would do that in a heart beat!

Local PD range is about a freaking 50/50 mix (small vs. large primer .45) lately. I don't know if Winchester is offering free rounds or what...Luckily locals mostly carry .40 S$W or 9mm. Friends on the force say they only have 1 choice (Sig) in .45 on the approved list and like 4 in .40 and 5 in 9mm. They can pay for their own and carry whatever...which is why I still get some .357 Sig and .44 Mag in the mix. I guess there's a couple of Dirty Harry's out there.

I am still amazed by the 'two 55 gallon drums' comment....and I thought I had come up with a good solution.

Undrpsi

The problem with LEO ranges is frequently they sell the brass as scrap themselves or trade it in. Several Steel Target companies offer credit to Departments that are willing to trade bulk once fired brass. Those places even frown on the officers getting any brass.

If the agency doesn't do that, you might be in luck. They probably have some reloaders themselves....... Ask around your local agency. Odds are, someone will help you out.

1) range pick-up

2) Starline for virgin brass.

I consider "once-fired" to be no more than range pick-up, and range pick-up is free. You have to inspect all cases anyway.

If I have a caliber that is rare/odd, I buy virgin from Starline.