Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPod shuffle

BritinUSA

As the washing machine is whirling around I could hear an odd clunking sound. I watched it for a few moments until I saw my Orange iPod shuffle going round and round and round. It came out sparkly clean, the ear-buds are now pure white, the music however, is not good. The little green light is not working, there is no sound. I thought about putting it through the dryer but I suspect that something would catch fire.

I am deeply saddened.sad.gif I was very attached to that little iPod, actually to be perfectly honest it was more attached to me, usually during my workouts. Now I have to listen to the music at the gym. They should make these washing-machine proof, I'm sure I'm not the first idiot to do this.

my buddy put his old ipod thru the wash....about a week later he threw something down on the desk and the damn thing worked!! We arent terribly sure how but it did. I got a cheap zune out of the deal (it was his replacement for when he thought it was dead). Throw it in a bag of rice for a few days and see if itll suck out the moisture. never hurts to try, worst case, you still wont have an ipod :(

Try packing it in a ziplock with some dessicant packs. Like the ones that come in shoe boxes and about everything else we buy. Had a friend put a cell phone in with some and it worked after several days.

Trey

If it's dead, you can probably find another one reasonably cheap via fleaBay or something - heck, maybe even here :)

I don't like the newer shuffle as much, as the controls are much more limited and you can only use device specific headphones on them (cause that's where the controls are...), but they're not bad for working out. Actually, Belkin makes an adapter that gives you the controls with 3rd party headphones, so you can use other headphones, but it'll cost you an extra $20 and the adapter is cable based, so it can break down over time...

I don't like the newer shuffle as much, as the controls are much more limited and you can only use device specific headphones on them (cause that's where the controls are

+1

I prefer the Skullcandy earphones and also often use headphones...I hope my old shuffle lasts awhile longer.

Paul,

since you have nothing to lose --- prewarm your oven to ~ 200, or a little less. Then shut the oven off, insert iPod, and let it sit, ideally until the oven is cool.....

That (camera repair) trick saved a wet EOS-1D shortly after I bought it. (A $5,000 camera body at the time....) Needed the camera for another job later that day, so drying it out was really the only option. Since yours was immersed, it might take two or three cycles....