Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between XD and XDM

waktasz

I like the XD tactical and want to pick one up...they are cheap too which is nice, but the XDm is out now and is obviously an improvement. Either gun I get would be sent out for a trigger job and some other work, so does what I start with really matter that much?

I like the XD tactical and want to pick one up...they are cheap too which is nice, but the XDm is out now and is obviously an improvement. Either gun I get would be sent out for a trigger job and some other work, so does what I start with really matter that much?

My thought is that the xdm has greater capacity and better feel.

What do you want to use it for? The XDm was designed a .40, so it is a bit more versatile for USPSA's many division, L, L10, Production and Open. The XD is more a Production, L10 and Open gun because of a lack of capacity in L (.40). Ergonomics is the other factor if you are getting it worked over.

The XDm frame/grip area was redesigned, it has a more aggressive surface and was thinned at the top of the grip area, and undercut slightly more than the regular XD. The M is a better feeling gun over the XD, sight radius and capacity are two other differences. The M has a larger capacity and the XD Tactical has a 1/2" more sight radius.

Rich

All good points,

My son has smaller hands and likes the XD better for fit. I on the other hand like both:-) but I like the XDM for more ammo just in case I want to shoot Limited. All of my XD and XDms are 9mm so I am not in the know of what the guns are like in the 40 side of the house.

Scott Springer did both triggers and so the trigger feels the same on either gun.

I have to correct/differ on the sight radius, if you put the XD Tactical and the XDM together they are the same sight radius! Yes, I too thought the longer slide of the Tactical would offer some advantage...I was wrong!

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here is one to ponder with the uppers from either frames work on each other..??

I know the slides have to different angle cuts (ie: not square) but if the xd would

fit the M frame that might be an option?

J.Kee

is really thinking about getting the New 3.8xdm for carry/house duty.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this was mentioned or not, but the XD(m) is not available for sale in California because it lacks a magazine disconnect. The XD is sold here, so it must have one. I suspect nobody cares about a magazine disconnect, but it's a difference.

Yes, you're right. I made an incorrect assumption. The rules about the magazine disconnect are newer, and weapons that made the roster prior to those laws being in place can stay on the roster as long as the manufacturer keeps paying the renewal fees.

So neither have the magazine disconnect, but they say the XDM won't get on the list because it lacks one. And yes, they'd have to make 10 round mags for it.

I also have a Tactical and a XDm. Both are in .40. The tactical I use for Production with light loads and the m is for Lim10 and Limited. Canyon Creek has done all of my work and I recommend Rich to anyone!