Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Barrel Interchange

a_number_1

Hi....new guy.....

I've read as many topics on this as I can find here and still haven't found an answer I'm willing to gamble the cost of a barrel on, they ain't cheap. It would be nice if there was a plain and simple list but there doesn't seem to be.

I have an FN SLP shotgun, what other makes/models of shotgun barrels can I buy for my gun.

I know the SX2 barrels will work, but I don't know about these.

Browning Silver

Browning Gold

Browning Gold Evolve

Winchester SX3

Has anyone tried these on the SLP that can definitively tell me that the will or will not work?

I'm also curious which available barrels have the lowest rib height if anyone knows.

I ask because I found a Browning Gold rifled/cantilever barrel locally for $155....didn't really want one but that's a helluva deal.

Thanks

I bought the fn slp 23" vent rib for my winchester sx2 mkII. It dropped in with no problem, even though I only have 2 3/4 chamber and it's a three. I called FN and the hooked me up with a distributor who drop shipped the barrel. It was more than 159, but I don't remember the exact amount. I know that it fits and the gun lost a bunch of weight. I like it alot.

I've read as many topics on this as I can find here and still haven't found an answer I'm willing to gamble the cost of a barrel on, they ain't cheap. It would be nice if there was a plain and simple list but there doesn't seem to be.

I have an FN SLP shotgun, what other makes/models of shotgun barrels can I buy for my gun.

Browning Silver

Browning Gold

Browning Gold Evolve

Winchester SX3

Has anyone tried these on the SLP that can definitively tell me that the will or will not work?

I'm also curious which available barrels have the lowest rib height if anyone knows.

I ask because I found a Browning Gold rifled/cantilever barrel locally for $155....didn't really want one but that's a helluva deal.

Thanks

I bought the fn slp 23" vent rib for my winchester sx2 mkII. It dropped in with no problem, even though I only have 2 3/4 chamber and it's a three. I called FN and the hooked me up with a distributor who drop shipped the barrel. It was more than 159, but I don't remember the exact amount. I know that it fits and the gun lost a bunch of weight. I like it alot.

Browning Silver

Browning Gold

Browning Gold Evolve

Winchester SX3

Thanks

I know the Browning barrels will not interchange on an SX2. I tried it

None of the Browning barrels will work. They are specific to Browning. But the SX2 and SX3 barrels are the same. The chokes on the SX2 and SX3 are Invector Plus. The standard SLP barrels use regular Invector chokes. FN also sells a 24, 26 and 28" vent rib barrel for the SLP's that use Invector Plus chokes. I also hear they will have a 22" vent rib soon or may already have.

• 2 weeks later...

00bullitt,

I've read your posts, nice guns ya got there.

I've got a couple questions for ya.

Have you ever put your SX3 barrel on your SLP? Ever fired it? Just asking cause I like the SX3 barrel and $400 is a hell of a mistake if it don't work.

How long would your SX3 barrel be, if it was cut down to the next rib post? (18" plus?)

What's the barrel diameter around 18-22"? For choke installation.

Thanks

Edited by a_number_1

Yes....I have interchanged them and shot them. They are direct replacement barrels. Work fine

I had mine cut down to 21" which was not intentional. i wanted it cut to 22". The overbored diameter was rather large. If memory serves me correctly...it was .853

The end of the barrel has to be swelled in order to be threaded for the chokes to work with the extreme overbored barrel of the Invector Plus choke system. Only one place in the country that does this. A place in Washington called Stan Baker sports. They were a nightmare to deal with. I can explain more in a PM if you're interested.I actually thought I may never get my barrel back. when I finally did it was 21".

Now FN is making a 24" barrel. Had that been available when I bought my SX3....I would never have fooled with cutting it.

Different experiance here - my Browning Gold barrel lives on my SX2 and they work just great -both guns are 3 1/2 chamber though so that may make a difference.

Different experiance here - my Browning Gold barrel lives on my SX2 and they work just great -both guns are 3 1/2 chamber though so that may make a difference.

I tried a Browning gold 22" slug barrel and it would slide into the receiver of my Sx2 but the bolt wouldn't lock into it.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I decided on cutting down an SX3 barrel, but nobody sells them. Alot of sites list them, but all are backordered or "available soon". Has anyone seen one available anywhere? Are they even available?

I'm looking for Winchester part number: 611054371 (26") or 611054361 (28").

Looks like I want to pay around $375 plus shipping.

Thanks

Okay, so I decided on cutting down an SX3 barrel, but nobody sells them. Alot of sites list them, but all are backordered or "available soon". Has anyone seen one available anywhere? Are they even available?

I'm looking for Winchester part number: 611054371 (26") or 611054361 (28").

Looks like I want to pay around $375 plus shipping.

Thanks

Why not just shoot the 26"?

• 1 year later...

Will the SX3 3-1/2" barrel work on a Browning Gold 3-1/2"? Browning has discontinued the Gold, but I am not sure if loosing 4" will make a difference and $500 is a bit to spend on a maybe.

• 3 months later...

Thanks again. My situation is that I have a 22" SLP Mark 1 with a problem. Something has gone haywire and the bolt is jammed tight inside the receiver -- won't move no matter what, all options tried by me and a trusted gunsmith, all failed. So now I'm looking to salvage the situation by moving the barrel into a used Browning Gold Hunter ($500) rather than buying a new SLP ($1100).

Edited by Limey46