Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio open gun

zorba

Hi all, been a while since i have posted.

I was wondering if it is possible to install a recoil master into a tanfoglio open gun without a gunsmiths services ?

Also i am using V V 3n38 a load of 9.5g with 124 bullet factor is arround 172, question is am i producing too much gas for the comp ?

Last question what recoil springs are you all running i went down to a 9 and found it too snappy now running an 11 ?

I have very little experience with open and have spent the 9 years shooting standard and production, any input would help.

Cheers

Sprinco is drop in, you must specify for a v8(long slide) or v12(short slide)

stick with 11 lbs recoil spring. if you can find vectan powder sp2(only in Europe)some may still be

around in US. load to 10.2g aol 1.250 Super GM use this load.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

To know if your are making too much gas, you have to shoot the gun. Everyone is different.

There are drills you can shoot (called 'timing drills' I think) where you shoot multiple shots at a fast speed into one target. The key is to experiment with different powders, springs, comps, etc and pay close attention to how the dot moves and how fast you are able to shoot.

At times, I've thought I was over gassing my Gold Team V8. The dot was rising slightly, then dipping below where it started. For a long time, I was trying to release the 2nd shot as the dot passed down through 'zero' again. Later I found that by changing my grip tension, I changed how the dot moved, and learned to make it rise slightly then immediately return to 'zero' with no dip. My 2nd shot became much more accurate, just as fast, and it was easier to call all my shots.

You might be making too much gas, you might not. It is up to you and your shooting style...

I started shooting open with a V8. Henning gave me a load of 7.2 gr of IMR7625 174pf. I tried a number of other powders with the gun and 125gr Zero JHP's. N350 worked pretty well with the gun 7.9gr but the Henning load was best overall. Some folks go to open ok others like my self get too concious of the noise and the sharp recoil. There is a little flip in these guns but I have to say the V8 was very flat shooting and accurate beyond any expectation. Did I say reliable. The gun is heavy in the right places and this helps with recoil and control. It does not have the nice recoil pulse of a Limited gun and it never will, nor do my STI's or Infinity no matter the powder or spring.

Try shooting minor for a while I shot 115gr Zero over 5.1gr of WST, this hits 128pf and feels like an airsoft. You might have to use your 9# spring. Shoot 500/1000 rounds in matches then move back up to your major load. This will give you time to concentrate on the shooting and not the noise and recoil. When you switch back to major you will probably notice little difference as you are focused on the shooting not the recoil. It worked for me, now I don't even notice the blast or the recoil just like shooting my old limited gun.

I sold my V8 at the time I didn't know enough about open to know what a great gun it was.

Thanks for the info dudes.

I guess it still and always will come down to the individual and how the dot moves / grip / load etc

After shooting 175 factor std gun for a long time i believe i am over gripping and trying to force the gun to sit still, i will let go slightly and float the blaster.

Cheers.

Zorba,

Good call. I posted somewhere here about a similar moment of clarity. One of my buds I shoot with is a GM and he told me stop trying to manage the recoil and to just hold the gun. Well, actually he used words a

lot less subtle than that. :P He was right. By just holding the gun with a firm grip and letting it do its thing the dot would just step up a bit and sit right back down.