Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm nose diving when mag is full.

billdozer

I've got ts 9mm, the mags have tf extensions on them with czc followers. When loaded to 23 rounds of 124 gr fp bullets the rounds nosedive into the front of the mag. If I only load 20 it loads fine. Let's hear some ideas?

dozer

All I can tell you is that I've encountered the exact same problem. My best guess is that a fully compressed mag spring somehow kinks and removes the pressure. The worst offender is my 26-rd Czechmate mags. I've tried various followers and various springs...all to no effect. So, I just load to less than max and reload at a different point in the stage. Good luck...and if you find a solution, let me know.

A-G

Edited by All-Gator

This happens on several mags, or just one?

I use Grams follower and springs for my 3 gun mags with CZC basepads. I had one mag develop a nosedive issue, it turned out to be the feedlips. One side had gotten stepped on or banged up. Straightening it and polishing out a large nick took care of it.

The issue is with the shape of the mag body where it necks down. It is too wide so the second cartridge in line offers no support to the top cartridge causing to nose dive. I sent my large mags to Grams to tune and now can fit 28 with no reliability issues with the CZ Custom base pad and grams follower. I tuned my remaining short mags with CZ Custom base pads and followers and they run great with 23 max capacity.

I have the exact same issue with my IPSC Standard in .40, with eight different magazines (four IPSC and four TS), CZC and TF basepads, and every spring and follower combination known to man. The problem shows up with the magazines loaded to about 16-18 rounds, not fully loaded to 20-21. The ten round magazines that came with the pistol back in 2004 work perfectly.

I don't know if it the same as 2011 mags as I don't have any experience with them. I necked down the control rib where the cartridges go from double stack to single stack until I got the second cartridge to support the top one. The feed lips will then need to be opened back up to the specs they were before any modification.

This applies only to 9mm TS mags. My 40 mags run flawless with CZCustom base pads and followers so didn't have to modify anything.

IMO

My question is this. Does the bullet nose dive when the gun is firing, or are you having the problem just trying to unload a mag.

If the firing part works fine then just shoot the thing, the problem will end when the mag spring gets over being so tight and pressing on the bullet stack so hare. If that is not the case, then I would look into lighter spring.

I've got ts 9mm, the mags have tf extensions on them with czc followers. When loaded to 23 rounds of 124 gr fp bullets the rounds nosedive into the front of the mag. If I only load 20 it loads fine. Let's hear some ideas?

Change to round nose bullets and your problem disappears. Or at least that was my experience.

Dentedr,

So where the magazine starts to taper at the top, you squeeze it tighter, then you open the top back up to original dimensions? Through filing or bending?

I start compressing it in from the bottom and work my way up until I get the support on the cartridges I want then bend open the feed lips back to the original specifications.

Edited by dentedr

The control rib that the pointer is at is the one you are concerned about. I started at the small black mark that I put on the magazine that you can see in the pic and worked my way up. My best results occurred when I bent it in to 0.500-0.509" measured at the top of the control rib and on the outside of the magazine.post-15156-0-15459800-1365266320_thumb.j

• 5 months later...

Works perfect now! Thanks. As you do reloads and mags drop to floor with bullets, this area opens up... Closing back cured all my problems! Thanks!

The control rib that the pointer is at is the one you are concerned about. I started at the small black mark that I put on the magazine that you can see in the pic and worked my way up. My best results occurred when I bent it in to 0.500-0.509" measured at the top of the control rib and on the outside of the magazine.attachicon.gifCZ magazine sm.JPG