Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. Gen 5 34s don't have the cut out.
  3. ... and to be precise, magazines "must not contain more than 15 rounds at the Start Signal." So, for a loaded start, people like to have one in chamber and 15 in the first magazine.
  4. Yes, see Appendix D4 and D4a. The only exception is if the base pads add significant weight to the magazine(18.2), that’s probably not the case as most pads are aluminum. Rulebook: https://www.ipsc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/IPSC-Handgun-Competition-Rules-Jan-2024-Edition-Final-27-Dec-2023.pdf
  5. I've loaded a bunch of coated 200 SWC's over Ramshot Competition in 45. It works well as does WST. But then so does W231. The 45 ACP is such a flexible round to load. The biggest problem I've ever encountered loading 45 SWCs is getting the OAL just right. I finally learned that all you need is just sliver of the projectile shoulder projecting from the case mouth, like a thumb nail's worth. OAL will vary with the bullet design.
  6. Think of Target Focus; like catching a baseball or football, never take your eye off the ball or in our case never off the target. You have to work at it because I was sight focused for over 50 years before trying Target Focused, but it does work, especially putting tape over the front of the red dot.
  7. How about magazines? Can I use my CO mags as long as they are loaded with 15rds?
  8. Ran some drills with V. Worked on entry doubles and she really did well. She had her first 0.15 split… then followed that up with a 0.14 and a 0.13 split… ON TARGET (A-zone at 7 yards). She’s FEELING it. I have thoughts about splits. Not everyone shares my opinions about them (and that’s okay). My personal opinion is that tracking timing at speed is a critical skill and single oscillation tracking with my favorite set up is around a 0.15 split. The gun V is using is my old CO gun with a magwell. It’s set up for 0.15 splits with 150 Syntech (which is what she’s using). Being able to feel and time and manage recoil at 0.15 splits at 7 yard alphas means tracking and managing recoil at 0.20 can extend out to 10+ yards. I personally feel that having that level of recoil control is the building block for so many additional shooting things. To be able to do it with flow and without tension. It was great to see and be a part of the development. When we started 6 months ago, her maximum split was 0.25. Today was a super rewarding benchmark of progress. That’s why today was a great day.
  9. I've been in the same boat as this, struggling to tell if I'm actually target focusing during matches. In training it's easy to tell, but in matches once I've plotted in that stage I'm not paying enough attention to be sure.
  10. It may be your triggerbar spring came off the grove and got wedged between the frame and trigger bar Mark S
  11. Bench i had a similar issue. In my case the hammer stud was not completely square with the frame. That angle caused the hammer to rub on the right side of frame. Being feint of heart I had to consult a pro to make the adjustment. It runs fine now and hammer looks centered in the frame. YMMV.
  12. But that wasn’t why it was a great day. I did drills with the Alien and the takeaway is that I’m still not locked in on that gun. My hand placement is still a little floaty. Floaty is inconsistent. So I’m going to experiment with a further rear set thumb rest position to lock in the hands. But THAT wasn’t why it was a great day…
  13. Whew. Just sitting down to decompress. Full day off today. Just got done dismantling the snowblower… turns out I bent a bunch of stuff when I hit some curbing when using it and long story short, angle grinder and waiting for another bearing puller to pull the impeller off the stumped shear bolts that are binding removal. Gearing up for a double work day tomorrow covering for a sick co-worker plus I said I’d still do my own work because the appointments on the books for me were people who had been waiting months and I didn’t want to penalize them for institutional shortcomings. But… today. Today was a great day. Tuned up my 25 yard A-zone rifle splits, zeroed a 22LR long gun for V to use in Steel Challenge and worked some revolver. Worked through each stage of the 5x5 with the 986 revolver and I don’t think I can realistically get it happening with those sights and that gun without significant improvement in my ability. I’m not attentive enough to notice and correct deviations with those irons and that short barrel length at speed. So it’s not going to happen for next month. I don’t have that kind of time to burn for that kind of a goal. My local IDPA club only runs classifiers yearly in the Winter/Spring so I’ll catch it on the next go-round. I do have BUG that I can pull in on short notice, though to try and make MA. I’ve vetted this setup over the Winter and it’s much more intuitive for me. A P365XL with home brew ported barrel / slide and WC grip with JCN stippling and cut off of the rear beavertail to fit in the box. Cutting off of the rear of a TLR7 to fit the light in the box to complete the super soft system. Just needs a mag floor plate nose trim and it’s all good. I’m kind of hoping for BUG-optics in the future. I would totally do that locally for the self-defense practice with equipment I otherwise don’t shoot. When I was setting up the equipment a couple of months ago, I ran it on the clock and it was fast enough to make up for some pulled shots.
  14. I like iron sights, even w 71 year old eyes. Yeah, I know, that age explains everything the kids say. But it’s a real skill.
  15. Does anyone know a source that has once / used 9 Win brass for sale. Looking for about 1k pieces. Thanks
  16. I switch from 320 legion to glock for CO. I just finished building up my 34. I can’t say noticed a lot of difference between the 34 and 17 until I started adding stuff like a weighted light. If I were doing it over, I might have just done a 17.
  17. Yesterday
  18. Well, My first thought Clean the die out. The seater could be full of crud! Set the bell to allow you to set a bullet on it. Back off the seater die stem out and raise the belled round and bullet into the die and then start lowering the seating stem till you start to seat the die. Refine the COAL till you have it right.
  19. Yah and PD just got them back in stock, I got four cases, good for another year maybe.
  20. Well I pose this thought. Use what you can get a hold of. Unique is not easy to find. Whereas, TG, CFE Pistol, and if you want 231/HP38 are all easy to source right now. The only thing about TG...is sooty to say the least. Burns hot and tends to scorch the cases. All cosmetic nothing to impede function or accuracy.. To me 231 and 200gr H&G 68 clone is a match made in heaven for the 45 ACP. Never seen a 231 load that did not shoot decent.
  21. the DA stacks up kind of a lot, it pretty heavy and when I breaks it's more of a snap. I'll reach out to the CWG guys tomorrow and see if I have the wrong disco. Thanks!
  22. That's good to hear. My autodrive is now about 6 months out of warranty and still sitting new in the box on a shelf. I sure hope the tablet works when I get around to trying to install it...
  1. Load more activity