Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Locally it seems like there is a bit of a conflict between shooter's goals for steel challenge. Traditionally steel matches were relaxed and low key, 5 stages, enjoy shooting with the kids and grandparents, bring what you have. Currently steel is now taken seriously by many and those folks have different expectations. I don't know how common that transition/conflict is but it is something that we have been able to resolve with a little bit of communication and a little bit of tolerance.
  3. Today
  4. That’s a good thought, thanks! I’ll look up what the chemicals are. Your post got me Googling and it looks like Ballistol and Bore tech make some suppressor cleaners that might work as well. I’ll start with the Simple Green and then perhaps try the CLR in a ziplock (bags work in ultrasound cleaners and help keep the unit from getting leaded). EDIT: here is the technical data sheet for the Carbon-Off Looks like it would work well… I’ll keep that as plan B. I’m a little scared to use that frequently, but it looks like it would be a good nuclear option! .
  5. Winchester primers also seem to have some sort of oily coating on them which ends up messing up priming systems. I don't think they produce them with the thought of people using progressive machines with stacked priming or collating. Even when hand seating them I had to clean my hand primer regularly.
  6. yeah the digital powder sensor for the Mk7 was only designed for doubles or no charge, it was never for detecting small variations. Even the laser, while more accurate and easier to set, can't really be trusted for anything better than half a grain maybe even a full grain depending on powder and speed you're running at. If you're running mixed headstamp brass just the thickness of the web will drive you crazy from case to case. I've been thinking of measuring from the bottom of the case to the mouth on a wide variety of cases and find some that sit in the middle and then use that as my base case whenever I need to rezero. As it is now I could be using a case with a thinner web, or one with a thicker web, as my zero and then having to adjust frequently until I find a middle ground. @MikeyScuba damn dude that sucks, what broke in the die? Spring loaded hold down?
  7. I think the Rules cover it pretty well: 5.2.1.2 Within the provisions of Rule 5.2.1 no ammunition of any kind is permitted on the gun, or in clips or loops fitted to the gun, or to a sling fitted to the gun except when under the supervision of, and in response to a direct instruction issued by a Range Officer 5.2.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing the competitor’s equipment belt carrying cartridges (in caddies, loops, clips, bags or pouches) and/or detachable magazines and/or speed loaders must be worn at waist level. 5.2.3.2 Only one equipment carrying belt is permitted. Cartridges held in loops or clips on the belt are restricted to a maximum of 170 mm total height. Rounds carried in caddies (often known as "strippers") must not exceed 6 rounds in height. 5.2.5 When carried in loops, clips or caddies no part of any cartridge is permitted to extend further than 75 mm from a competitor's body. Cartridges carried on the gun are exempt and loose cartridges carried in a pouch or bag are usually exempt from this rule. The Range Master’s decision will be final in this matter. Open Division competitors are exempt from this rule.
  8. Our upcoming local Level 2 IPSC match has a "magazine inserted, empty chamber" start. I'm betting that some competitors will put a round in the chamber, the first time.
  9. I think USPSA is pretty much verbatim on that. But that still would be considered a loaded handgun, assuming a loaded mag was in the gun. So it would meet the ready condition of a loaded handgun. A completely empty handgun (no ammo in mag, no ammo in chamber) does not meet the ready condition of a loaded handgun and so the shooter should not be started if the ready condition is loaded. It's all in the rule book, glad to see nroi rule correctly on this one
  10. Nothing in USPSA Rules about it? IPSC Rules have: 8.1 Handgun Ready Conditions The ready condition for handguns will normally be as stated below. However, in the event that a competitor fails to load the chamber when permitted by the written stage briefing, whether inadvertently or intentionally, the Range Officer must not take any action, as the competitor is always responsible for the handling of the handgun. .... ....
  11. Stages have been posted on the Practiscore website, 10 stages including Chrono, 246 rounds if you don’t miss
  12. 8.4 of 3N38 with a 124/125 in a 4.5" open gun makes 169 for me
  13. An older NROI blog post (from 2020) said the opposite. According the DNROI, the instructors have changed their thinking on this situation and the most recent article that you referenced is now their current guidance. Loaded can mean: 1. empty chamber, loaded magazine inserted 2. chamber loaded, no magazine inserted 3. chamber loaded, loaded magazine inserted
  14. Looks like Rule 4.1 requires, even for Tier I, plate painting prior to each competitor's first run on Classifier stages. For time reasons, normally the shooter will not paint his targets before he shoots.
  15. I wonder how this would work? I have only tried it on a sheet pan and it worked great. They also make it in a liquid. Haven’t tested it on bluing though.
  16. We've had this discussion a time or two, and part of the ready condition in a starting position is how the gun is loaded. I've said that if it was a loaded start, the competitor wouldn't meet the handgun ready condition if his gun wasn't loaded and shouldn't be started. Others thought they should be. Turns out I was right LOL. This article mostly discusses starting a competitor in the wrong starting position, but that last sentence keys in on handgun ready condition. If the start calls for a loaded handgun, you at least have to have a mag and a gun with some ammo in it or else it's not loaded and the competitor shouldn't be started. Just like if it calls for an unloaded start you can't start a competitor with a loaded gun. Note that a loaded gun does not mean a round in the chamber, just actual ammunition in the gun. Discuss/argue if you like https://nroi.org/ro-best-practices/enforcing-the-start-position/
  17. I’d just do it myself. Maybe after a few others see how much easier it is to see it may catch on. Either that or they’ll all want you to go first.
  18. Around 11/4/23 I bought an 8 pounder for $280 so $60 increase in 5 months.
  19. Please don't bring logic and reason to an internet discussion.
  20. I am almost positive that Atlas has their own in-house left hand mag release. The Mitchel one won't work in the Atlas frame.
  21. It’s already in the rules 4.1. We have a few clubs here that do the same. It does help speed the match along. That’s the only positive thing I can say about it.
  22. Agree with painting your own targets before you shoot. No way to enforce an honor system based on application of paint at specified intervals at locations far away from civilization.
  23. Basically, I did almost all the list that GunBuBit posted. I had Printz firearms in Essington PA do the porting and silver cerakote. I replaced 90% of MIM parts and I had KI Precision in Vineland install Atlas trig and tune it up. They also did the "bob marvel cut" which makes a HUGE difference. 2-2.5lb trigger and racks like butter. KI said they were going to start selling it as a package, with the Prodigy, for 25ish, which seems a bit steep to me. I got a deal on BNIB for 995, plus like 700 in it? So I'm not complaining. He had 2 prodigy, 2 stacatto, an Atla and a masterpiece arms in the case that I got to man-handle. Only the Atlas and MPA made me drool. The two stacatto and my prodigy were about the same. Not saying they are the same, just felt the same. Then again , I'm at the price of a Bul Armory sas ii, so yeah, I'm grinning like a prarie dog in heat
  24. A buddy asked me if I could help with this: So we are going to try this tomorrow: Vampliers…
  1. Load more activity