Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Focus on having fun. Also consider jumping into CO or LO if you can, nearly all the competition is there. Things have changed a lot in the last several years.
  3. I think you'll find its like riding a bike; I would shoot lim optics, carry optics or PCC to get you back in the rhythm. Those divisions allow for lots of rounds in the mag so you aren't going through lots of reloads. Aside from the previously mentioned safety DQ guidance, I would go in with a 5 to 1, alpha to non-alpha ratio. This is obviously higher than what you'll find looking at the score cards of top competitors. The logic is, mentally set a goal for hits so you're not getting frustrated or wrapped around the axel with running around the stage or having some crazy stage plan. You can ramp it up dynamically after a couple stages if you feel comfortable. Walking away from the first few matches with botched reloads and mikes will make for a tough mental ramp up back to the sport.
  4. I've tried a few different techniques based on the guidance from expert shooters, e.g Vogel. I've found that for the support hand, it works consistently across guns if I have a contact point between my index finger knuckle and the bottom of the trigger guard. From there, I apply 85% of max strength on the support hand. For my strong hand, I've found that I have the most mobility with my trigger finger if I keep it around 60%. This is the right balance for me between adding some stability for the gun and having the finger feel 'free'.
  5. Believe it or not 45 outsells everything (in single stack) by a pretty good margin. If anything I would bet they are going to release 45 first...and see how it sells then consider adding 9mm down the road. Honestly I'm shocked by the lack of optic options for 1911's, there is a giant hole there - sure you can get them if you special order from the higher end semi-custom makers (Wilson, Nighthawk, etc). Dan Wesson has one model, but their quality has come down very recently. Kimber has a couple...but uhhh..Kimber. Then I think there are a couple of options at the very bottom of the market. So maybe Sig thinks this is something that will be popular, you can't really sell any other model of firearm these days without an optics mount on it...but somewhere 1911's get ignored.
  6. shred

9mm +p+

I'm going to shut this now, following the guidelines; The OP can PM if desired to reopen for some reason.
  7. He's in NJ...and really anywhere in the North East I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. Even gun people are anti 2A here. Example, I know a local training company that makes most of it's money on state mandated CCW training. They typically do 25-50 students a week at 300+ each. I've heard the owner say he's talked to his contacts at the state police (he's retired trooper) about increasing the qualifications required to become a instructor. Why? The two other local trainers just meet that minimum and this would put them out of business. This would likely put lots of trainers across the state out of business reducing the supply of the mandated CCW classes and likely lead to a sharp increase in the cost of classes from who ever remains. Supply and demand after all. In the NE this is the thinking of Pro 2A people, imagine what the other side thinks.
  8. Thanks All, late last night I started working backwards...pulled the hammer and ext FP out, the FP is new and the hole is free and clear. Working up from the bottom of the hammer there looked to be nothing out of sorts. Then I saw a shiny rub mark just below the top radius on the right side of the hammer. I reassembled everything and could see that the hammer/frame gap on the right side was a lot smaller than the left side. As the gun heated up during a good session yesterday the issue came up later on and with this small of a gap I can see hammer travel impingement being an issue here. Is the solution as simple as removing small amounts from the hammer or is it a hammer shim kind of a thing? This is a new factory gun so there's no wear/slop that should be taken up by a shim. There doesn't seem to be any burrs on the frame so I'm not going to touch that.
  9. Seems like a really easy argument to make in court-- "so Mr Police Training Officer, how many of your cadets have rule violations during training and qualifications?" "and you still let them carry guns on the street?" Sounds more like some do-gooder at the club has a thing against 'unsafe' USPSA shooters and thinks throwing them under the bus will help, but the whole point of the rules is to try and stop things from getting truly unsafe well before they do. Some dude is a serial DQ-er, sure tell them they can't come back to the range if that makes them feel better, but reporting ???
  10. Not all of them. Some are made on 9mm slides that won't fit a regular .38 Super.
  11. Happiness is a warm cat purring on your lap on a cold day. Too bad I happened to be wearing black sweatpants.
  12. I would say this sounds a bit too far fetched, but in this day and age, it might be a possibility. I’m a MD that runs a monthly local. Were someone to make this request of me, without insulting their intelligence, cursing at them, and mocking their pedigree information, the polite answer would be no. They would not get the polite answer! Best thing to do is follow the lead of our BoD. Explain that info is the intellectual property of USPSA and is not to be made public! Tell them to contact the board and await an answer. Problem solved!
  13. Today
  14. togmaster

9mm +p+

A load like that would make follow up shots harder on yourself.
  15. Projects in partial implementation: In anticipation of my daughter perhaps getting into shooting, I got her a life membership to USPSA before the price increase. I also have an Airsoft G42 from years ago when I was doing carry gun index drills. And since I think red dots are better training / feedback… I tested the lightest RDS system I could. The DPP Micro was on fire sale for ~$150 or something like that. Added benefit of using dovetail mount (because Airsoft have aluminum slides that don’t take kindly to milling). Airsoft on left, real G42 on right. I initially vetted the DPP Micro on a 45 ACP Shield. That video is here: G42 testing video here: I have a full set of Tactrainers Airsoft targets so if she gets into it a little bit, I can set up courses of fire for her. It’s a good way to also help train muzzle awareness and safety. .
  16. I have a .223 shellplate but it's a pain to change on a mark7 evo so I keep the 9mm one on.
  17. I would look for a broken firing pin or hammer stud. We're all just guessing here.
  18. Nathanb

9mm +p+

That’s a spicy meatball for carry and defense. I can’t imagine the Glock will be too happy about it and you’re starting to get into major power factor territory where no one is shooting Glocks.
  19. That's a lot of holes to make major in 9mm.
  20. BE: Does it work with factory loads? Also, did you install a after market 'competitive' main spring? If so, you may find the only primers that work reliably are Fed 100's. By all means, check that the hammer isn't scraping on the side of the frame as JFD recommended. Go to Fed 100 primers since they are the most sensitive on the market. Ensure that what ever device is seating the primers is seating them firmly to the base of the primer pocket. .005" below the rim is the amount I believe. It is easy to measure with calipers but visually the primer will be far enough below the rim that you can easily see it. Guys here have other suggestions but the primer and seating depth seem to be the two big issues with handloading for revolvers. Particularly if a guy dropped in a competitive mainspring. GG
  21. zzt

9mm +p+

I reload everything, EXCEPT defensive rounds. Since Federal HSTs are available, why bother. Also, the notion of using XTPs @ 1300 fps is not a good one IMO. It will go through your assailant, especially if it clogs with clothing. Then you risk hitting an innocent bystander. In a defensive situation you are not going to be shooting through barriers, so why do you need hotter than FBI spec ammo? Why do you even need 18" of penetration? That is still going to go through a body. 9" to 12" is what you need. There is factory ammo out there that will consistently penetrate 12" even through denim or a barrier.
  22. Cerakoted aluminum frame that’s not anodized even? Sounds like a cool sub 10k gun before fatigue cracks start to propagate
  23. One has nothing to do with the other. If it's true, it's ridiculous.
  24. True, but 38SC brass is pretty expensive. Not a worry for training, but for matches its a slight issue.
  25. I thought super and supercomps have same slide breechface?
  26. Yes, to me heavier bullets going slower have less felt recoil than lighter bullets going faster. I load 160gr bullets in .38 Short Colt. When I use Win 231 they have more snap then Clays for the same power factor.
  1. Load more activity