Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 toolhead ratchet

I picked up a used 1050 the other day and it came without the toolhead ratchet thing. The previous owner said it works fine like that, and as far as I can tell, its only purpose in life is to make sure you cycle the handle fully and be irritating if you need to fix something.

Does it do anything else I need? Otherwise, I think I can live without it.

• 2 years later...

Found this thread in my first search, lucky because I didn't even know what to call it.

I was looking for this info because my older RL 1050 has quite the attitude and the rachet thingy lever in back would not hold adjustment. I finally pulled it off last night and was looking on here to see what sort of sin I commited.

1050's rock, that rachet thingy sux.

I still have the ratchet mechanism on my Super1050, but I don't find it to be a problem when clearing stoppages. Just reach around and life the catch from the ratchet, and up you go. I actually like having it just to prevent accidental short-cycling of the handle while loading.

As a side note, if you have an older Super1050 (say, 15Aug03 or older), there is a cool upgrade available from Dillon that changes the timing of the shellplate indexing and reduces powder spillage. Brian wrote about it here. I installed mine in about 10 minutes.

...Mark