Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap Ammo .45acp

MaverickUF

What do ya'll know about the CCI Blazer ammo? Nantchez has a sale, I can get 2000rds SHIPPED for $320 ($70 less than 2000rds of whitebox winchesters from Wal-Mart... That's $6.90/50 before shipping... Is this stuff anygood? Consistent/Accurate? Will my Ruger like it??

• 2 weeks later...

www.outdoormarksman.com

I've shot many k's of their miwall reloads in 9 and 40. Really killer price for the miwall factory reloads. I would suspect the 45 would work as well. Plus you get to start a brass collection as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I take back every nice thing I said about blazers. Today I shot a match with blazers and on the first stage, I had about 15 light primer hits. I got a lot of malfunction clearing practice today. Now, I do have a 17# mainspring in my Para instead of the factory 21# spring, but I've shot my own reloads and other factory ammo with no problem. I don't know if it was a bad lot or old ammo, but when I switched to Speer Lawman for the rest of the match, I had no trouble--with the same gun.

Now, I do have a 17# mainspring in my Para instead of the factory 21# spring

It's not your gun....it's the ammo. I have run a 17# mainspring in 2 Para's and two S*I's and have never had a light hit. I've had some smashed primers that wouldn't go off, but it was never the gun.

folsoml,

Since the Blazers worked for you before maybe it was something different you did to the gun getting ready for the match. Was the gun lubed differently or not cleaned or cleaned & not lubed.

I once took a beautiful working gun and turned it into a slug for the match by changing from Slide Glide to an STP/Mobil 1 mix.

Too often we blame ammo when it is the gun deciding what it likes or doesn't like. I have a Wilson conversion on a 1911 that doesn't like Remington bulk but a Ruger 22/45 has no problem with it but doesn't like the Federal bulk that the Wilson likes.

Everything was the same. It was plenty dirty from a practice session earlier in the week, but no dirtier than it has been before. I goobed up with Slide Glide the night before, just like always. Nothing different.