Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclips

randy01

Ok what kind of moonclips should I get for my PC625

Currently I'm using the steel ones but I hate unloading them. The Rimz style clips seem promissing but I'm not sure about retention while on the move.

So what to get steel ones and remooner demoonder tool, in that case wich tools are the best and where to get them. Or the Rimz clips.

Also what holders would be best.

randy01,

Rimz are great for plinking but, in my experience, you will speed demoon if you are trying to do fast IPSC type reloads from your belt.

Ranch Products sells great moonclips inexpensively. (www.ranchproducts.com)

I don't use a mooning tool. I just click them in. I use a demooner from Brownells that looks like a screwdriver handle with a tube sticking out of it.

Additionally, fabricate a "loaded moonclip" holder for your rangebag. I make them out of scrap oak and dowel rod. I think mine are 6 1/2"x8" with 12 dowels sticking up so that you can stack and carry your loaded moonclips neatly in your range bag. I use a shooters connection bag and that seems to fit in the removeable center bag.

Mrs. Airedale shoots a 610 and I bought her one of those mooning devices. It's a real pain to use. I can load 3 or 4 moons by hand in the time it takes me to produce one from the mooner.

Dave

Here is the gear I use:

Plano boxes to carry the loaded clips

Pill container for empty moon clips

Mooner de mooner made locally for charging the clips for my 625

My moon clips came from Ranch at $25 per 100 for the 625 and $70 per hundred for the 610 if my memory serves me correctly.

The plano box models I use are 3700 that holds 240 rounds and the 3600 that holds 180 rounds.

I have also cut a 3700 box and used the copper 1/2 OD water closet supply tubes to hold the moon clips. The flange on the bottom allows you to pull the clips out of the box and not have to dig for them.

As for other tools, see www.moonclip.com Tom has a very good selection and the service is great.

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Ok what kind of moonclips should I get for my PC625

Currently I'm using the steel ones but I hate unloading them.  The Rimz style clips seem promissing but I'm not sure about retention while on the move.

So what to get steel ones and remooner demoonder tool, in that case wich tools are the best and where to get them. Or the Rimz clips.

Also what holders would be best.

Get the RIMZ 25 clip it's their competition model. USPSA, IDPA and ICORE shooters are using these clips very successfully. Retention on the move isn't a problem. I have never found tools for steel clips that were worth a damn. Many steel clips are very hard to load without tools and harder to unload.

You need to try both steel and RIMZ to see which is better for you.

I've used several different kinds over the past 2 years, and i can say without any doubt that HEARTHCO clips are the "best". If you want a perfect fit , minimal wobble, if any, these are the ones to get. Also, REMINGTON brass is the preferred brand with these. I consistantly get sub 1.7sec reloads with them. I only use them at matches and can notice a difference compared to others i use during practice secessions.

Dan

• 7 months later...

Here is the gear I use:

Plano boxes to carry the loaded clips

standard.jpg

Regards,

Round_Gun_Shooter,

What's a "plano box"???

The picture isn't working.

-Cuz

I can tell you = it is a trade name plastic fishing lure box, you can get them cheep at Wall Mart with room to put 15 loaded rounds in a 8" x 10 " box. get the one that has the removealbe deviders. the box can be used for Auto mags too, that is how big the slots are. I like Plano Model # 3260 , but plenty others will work and other manufactures too.

do a web search for Plano box on the web

Edited by AlamoShooter

I have cancelled my subscription to the web host service so any pics I have posted in the past are gone.

The Plano Boxes I use are the number 3700 which holds 240 rounds loaded in clips for 45ACP or the model 3600 which holds 180 rounds of 45ACP in clips.

They are fron Plano Molding Co, Plano Ill.

Cabellas and other tackle supply companies also have them.

Regards,

If I had to pick one item that made my 625 work better, it's the HearthCo moonies for it, you can buy some of the other types and use them for practice, but when the buzzer goes off, it better HearthCo that you're loading...Dave's a nice guy and goes the extra mile to make sure his product works...

Some folks may balk at the price his moons cost, but in the long run, they'll save you time and money. I've had light primer stike problems in the past, getting a perfectly flat moon was the answer to that problem. Daves moons have made an improvement in the mental game, I know when I pull the trigger now, there will be a loud bang instead of that click of a round not going off...

michaels

a proud HearthCo moon user since I stole some from T.Frankel last year....

If I had to pick one item that made my 625 work better, it's the HearthCo moonies for it, you can buy some of the other types and use them for practice, but when the buzzer goes off, it better HearthCo that you're loading...Dave's a nice guy and goes the extra mile to make sure his product works...

Some folks may balk at the price his moons cost, but in the long run, they'll save you time and money. I've had light primer stike problems in the past, getting a perfectly flat moon was the answer to that problem. Daves moons have made an improvement in the mental game, I know when I pull the trigger now, there will be a loud bang instead of that click of a round not going off...

michaels

a proud HearthCo moon user since I stole some from T.Frankel last year....

Mike,

Thanks for the the kind words! Dave B)