Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Restrictive Websites

John Heiter

I hate websites that for one reason or another use technology only supported by certain browsers. I mean I guess it's one thing if you're trying to do something really whiz-bang and it's only supported by Microzilla version 9.2.33_507 Swedish edition but to code a normal website that could be coded any number of ways using proprietary bits is ridiculous. It's a concept we've always called graceful degredation. Use whatever you want to on your site but make sure that users who aren't using the exact browser/platform you intended can still see and use your site. It's called the "World Wide" web which you would think would clue some of these code monkeys in to the fact that lots of people from all over the place might be looking at their content and they should keep that in mind but it never fails. Make sure your site degrades gracefully. If your menu requires special apps to view then think about having an alternate version that may not be as snazzy but will still work for everyone. If your homepage contains a 600MB flash animation complete with a .midi track you recorded yourself using your friends kazoo synthesizer, that's fine but provide an option for someone on dial-up to opt out of seeing that and still be able to navigate your site. It's common sense and common courtesy, two things which are sadly lacking online these days.

John

Even worse - when some moron decides this is the best way to go, and then never updates their list of supported browsers - so when you go look at the site, say, a year later, with a browser that's perfectly capable of viewing the site, it *still* won't let you see it..... :angry:

Hear Hear! What really peeves me these days is 'frames-only' sites that don't work with my smartphone. ABC news web site (to pick on the worst example, but there are many) says "Your browser is too old. Get a newer browser" and blocks all access. Sorry guys, this one was made two months ago. That's a sure way to win viewers-- "you suck, go away"

Don't assume that everybody is surfing on a 1024x768 screen or has the latest plug-in or high-speed internet or whatever. If you're using a web page authoring tool, turn off all the proprietary crap. That goes double for FrontPage.

What I don't understand is purchase sites that have a splashy front page (replete with music and animation) that require you to click to enter. Why on earth would you want to delay the customer in getting to your goods? :huh:

I don't understand why sites EVER play sounds of any kind, unless I ask for it... Probably the biggest reason sites lock up.

FrontPage. Don't get me started. What crap. It was only made for people who don't know and can't learn how to do HTML coding, they become so dependent on it, without it, they're lost.

Good Rant!

browser checks are very bad design unless you are simply checking to alter your quirk compatibility.

however, at some point you have to call obsolete obsolete. But you still let them se whatever ugly it will look like to them.

I don't understand why sites EVER play sounds of any kind, unless I ask for it...  Probably the biggest reason sites lock up.

FrontPage. Don't get me started.  What crap.  It was only made for people who don't know and can't learn how to do HTML coding, they become so dependent on it, without it, they're lost. 

Good Rant!

I'll second that. I like Dreamweaver because it makes it very easy to move between HTML and Deramweaver editing, and doesn't crap up the HTML with all sorts of options and tags which make even the simplest of HTML a real pain to edit.

I also tried Net Objects Fusion, but it was extremely difficult to work in HTML for a variety of reasons, including their storage of you web page in their proprietary database and then exporting to HTML.

Back on topic - another thing worth hating is web sites which post photos at full resolution, rather than coming up with a resolution (and file size) more appropriate to the display media.

I'll second that.  I like Dreamweaver because it makes it very easy to move between HTML and Deramweaver editing, and doesn't crap up the HTML with all sorts of options and tags which make even the simplest of HTML a real pain to edit.

Dreamweaver's the only WYSIWYG HTML editor I've used that generates tight code (at least, so far....). Good stuff....

Back on topic - another thing worth hating is web sites which post photos at full resolution, rather than coming up with a resolution (and file size) more appropriate to the display media.

Amen - and to the sound stuff BerKim noted. At least friggin' *warn* me before you make me download that huge a** file or that you're gonna blast me with some stupid music I could care less about.....

Popups suck. Stupid frame layouts suck. Using Flash to do things that can easily be done in straight HTML sucks. Using media formats that no one else on the planet uses (thus forcing me to download some stupid PlugIn for my browser, only to use it this once to view your stupid website) sucks.

I guess I have an opinion on this stuff!!!! :D

little bit of thread drift but...

I get SPAM which tells me to upgrade my email client, I mean WTF! I did not even GO to this companies site/store and they insult me?

Indeed companies attitudes are very different than in years past.

Ira

1.) I wish FrontPage would just go away.

2.) I taught myself basic HTML from scratch years ago which gave me a LOT of insight about what's under Dreamweaver and stuff.

3.) I use Dreamweaver. (The dual-view window is rather cool, isn't it...)

4.) Gah, I can't stand it when people send me huge-a** photos in e-mail after I've told them at least 25 times NOT to...!! They can't tell a Megabyte from a Kilobyte.

5.) I've fixed their wagons, though: I've put a governor on e-mail message size. Bwahahaha! If it's over XXX number of kilobytes it gets stalled in detention in a private area where I can go snoop at it (without it hanging up my Outlook downloads) and probably dump it. Heh.

So...I'm guessing that you guys just love Java?

geezer

Java Applets? On a web page, I hate them..

That's just like those %$#! sound files. I do not want to load the SUN Java Run time for your stinking page, then have it running until I close all my other browser instances, thank you very much.

Java seems to have lost it's alure on desktops... write once, run anywhere.. Hah!

IMHO, Java's only really place is on the servers; in applets, beans, whatever... it's fine there, where server horsepower can make up for it's sluggish speed.

There's some Java Application Servers that are bundling with some nice tools ... finally.

One day I may know what yall are talking about, but I still hate, music, popups, "do you want to install super duper viewer pooper xxxxxx.xxxxxxxx"?, WTF is all that crap anyway?

I hate websites that presume to resize *MY* browser window. Dammit, I sized it that way for a reason - keep your greasy mitts off!!!

The Linea Del Fuego website (http://lineadefuego.org/) totally sucks. Not only does it give me 2, count 'em, 2 popups telling me that Mozilla and Firefox "may not work with the strict XHTML" in use on the site, "especially on Windows XP SP2", but it wants you to download plugins for some of the content, *AND* - mortalist of mortal sins - some of the links try to open Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, without telling you that's where you're headed.... Nothing on that site couldn't be done with standard HTML, CSS, and PDF technologies................ GRRRRRRRRR hate it.

What I don't understand  is purchase sites that have a splashy front page (replete with music and animation) that require you to click to enter.  Why on earth would you want to delay the customer in getting to your goods?  :huh:

Because more than likely there website is not a search engine friendly site, so an entry page is created for bots to index.

I've had good luck blocking all the spyware, adware, pop-up, and other useless crap that some websites want to give to every visitor.

The best thing was using the Mozilla Firefox browser with pop-up blocking enabled for the last year. It works very well and I can allow selected websites to use pop-ups which are to my benefit. Over 95% of the websites I've been to work just fine with firefox. I think really hard before firing up the MS browser offering to see the other 5%; most aren't worth it and I don't go back. See www.mozilla.org for the free browser/email/newsgroup software called Firefox.

I was still getting spyware and adware though especially from sites for children. I recently started using a hosts file setup to block the ad websites and haven't picked up any spyware since then. Here's a link from a mickeysoft support site of how to use a hosts file and an excellent hosts file to start with. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm With the hosts file active, many webpages have blank holes where pictures or ads would have been shown but they couldn't get the info for some strange reason.....

I also run zone-alarm (software firewall) to keep programs from accessing the internet without my explicit OK. All microsoft programs and most others have to ask "mother may I?" every time they want any internet interaction. Trusted programs are allowed free access.

A hardware firewall/router is also an excellent idea and is a big help to keeping malicious things from getting into your computer especially one tied to the internet 24/7 on a high-speed connection (juicy target for spammers).

Maybe this'll give an idea or two for fighting back.