Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 w DAA Bulletfeeder sticking and thumping

I have a 1050 and added a DAA (Mr Bulletfeeder) bullet feeder. I am also using a lee undersize die.

I am loading 40sw with Berrys plated 180gr fp rs bullets.

I am lubing cases with one-shot or dillon DCL.

On the up stroke there is a thump as the 40 brass exits the lee die. There is also a release of resistance.

I just hooked up a DAA bullet feeder with their powder drop die, which bells (flares) the case but also does it with a ring expansion that allows the bullet to sit straight. If you have seen one, you know how it looks and how it is different than the dillon one.

That powder drop also puts resistance on the up stroke, when the case is exiting the powder funnel die, and it thumps when it is released.

The lee die and the powder die now make a thump...thump and the machine jumps or vibrates as it thumps twice. It used to just thump once, when I just used the sizing die and no bullet feeder.

I put a regular lee sizing die in and it is smoother, but still the thump. Anyone else have this problem?

Can I use the regular powder die and still have the bullet dropper work?

I don't like the thump...thump and the jumping that the tool head makes everytime.

Thanks,

Randy

I only have the bullet feeder set up on my 9MM tool head but I don't get the thump that you are experiencing at all. The only difference in the powder drop is that it changes the bell a bit. It goes from a straight taper (dillon) to more of a radiused bell (DAA).

My press is a 650 but I noticed no change in the press going from hand feeding bullets to having the bullet feeder.

That powder drop also puts resistance on the up stroke, when the case is exiting the powder funnel die, and it thumps when it is released.

If this is the case you are using a powder funnel from a SD, 550 or 650, as they all expand. The expander on a 1050 is at station #3 with the back up rod for the swager.

The 1050 powder funnel just "bells" the mouth, it can't "stick".

Run a single case through it to see where the problem is.

Edited by jmorris

If you are using the undersized .40 die that is the problem. It has a lot of resistance and you will not be able to run the press smoothly.

Try using a standard .40 Lee die. It will get rid of the bulge and be smoother while loading.

You cannot load smoothly with undersized dies.

Also, try using a little more lube. I use a big Ziploc bag, pump 10 times of Dillon lube in the bag, dump brass in there, and seal/shake a bunch and then use it.

DougC

Randy, I think you will notice that you need to put the DAA powder die back in. If you are using mixed brass it will take a while to set it up to bell the case enough and to not OVERBELL the cases. The ones sticking are the ones that are overbelling. It can be frustrating but adjust it up so there is no sticking and see if that will work for the bulletfeeder putting the bullet in the case enough.

DougC

My 2 cents worth...

On the 1050, another option (if NOT SWAGING the cases) is to use a Lyman M-Die (or equivalent) in the

swage position.

The Dillon swage back-up rod is a fixed length part and therefore the depth of case mouth expansion is fixed.

Some bullets will stick into the case mouth better with a bit more depth of expansion, some will stick OK with less.

The M-Die is adjustable for depth, so you can fine tune it for best performance regardless of the base design of

your bullet. Always use the least depth of expansion you need to get reliable operation.

The main difference regarding the "tugging" when the expander pulls out of the case on a 1050 versus a 650...

the shell plate diameter on the 650 is quite a bit smaller on the 650. This results in less of a lever arm force

applied to the shell plate when the expander is removed from the case mouth.

Using a good case lube will also make your life easier.

Rick

I dont use the mr bulletfeeder powder expander/dropper on my 1050 i .40 I just use the swager/expander in #3 it allows for enough expansion to where it seats fine.

as for sizeing dies, I use lee's as it has the least resitance releasing the brass

my 10mm press with dillon sizeing die, has identical problem as to what you describe, especially with new brass. its annoying as hell

I wrote Rick a couple of years ago about the sticking from the MBF dropper/expander on my 1050 and here is his response...I switched back to the Dillon powder drop and no problems since.

"Be sure your shellplate is adjusted to have minimum play but still be able to index properly. An excessively loose shellplate will aggravate the tugging… especially on the 1050 due to the larger diameter of the shellplate vs a 650.

You can also simply use the tapered Dillon powder funnel if you use and properly adjust the Dillon swage back up rod when reloading. (even if not swaging the brass primer pockets). The swage back up rod has an expander step that is similar to the one on the MrBulletfeeder powder funnel.

Alternatively… if not swaging, you could also try installing a Lyman M-Die in the swage position. The M-Die is a case mouth expanding die that is adjustable for depth of expansion.

I hope this helps.

Rick Koskela / RAK Systems, LLC / Mr.Bulletfeeder® / 480-235-8864"

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up with these final changes, and everything is working out ok for now.

Changed my Lee undersize sizing die to a regular Lee die (40sw)

Put the original Dillon powder drop back in to bell the case

I thought to myself.....I have been loading with the original Dillon powder drop die and it bells the case. I then manually insert a bullet.

If the DAA bullet feeder inserts the bullet with no problems, and it is straight, why not continue with the same powder die to bell the case?

I am using an expander in station 2, always was doing this.

I did try to tighten up the shellplate to get rid of the thumping. I got a huge pop! after the next handle stroke. My first ever.

I guess I was moving the shellplate right and left a little and the primer turned and it went off in the case that was ready to be primed.

I was wearing clear safety glasses, and it sounded like a .22 or a cap gun. Not worried about the hearing protection on this one.

So in the end I have less thumping since I changed out the Lee U die to a regular one. Everything else remained the same.

Thanks for all the responses.

Randy

If you are using the undersized .40 die that is the problem. It has a lot of resistance and you will not be able to run the press smoothly.

Try using a standard .40 Lee die. It will get rid of the bulge and be smoother while loading.

You cannot load smoothly with undersized dies.

Also, try using a little more lube. I use a big Ziploc bag, pump 10 times of Dillon lube in the bag, dump brass in there, and seal/shake a bunch and then use it.

DougC

do people really lube 40 cal brass?...I dont lube 10mm ...never had a problem. Are you using carbide dies?

Yep I loaded many round (9mm and 38 super) on progressive presses for a couple years. Then after reading so many positives I bought a can of one shot. 200 cases into a giant zip lock bag. 3 quick squirts of one shot. Close bag. Shake around for 30 seconds then dump em in the casefeeder. It's amazing how much smoother reloading is and how much less lever effort is required. I had no problems before and felt everything was plenty smooth but I had no idea it could be this much better.

You've nothing to loose ($10?) from buying some one shot and trying it.

I have a 1050 and added a DAA (Mr Bulletfeeder) bullet feeder. I am also using a lee undersize die.

I am loading 40sw with Berrys plated 180gr fp rs bullets.

I am lubing cases with one-shot or dillon DCL.

On the up stroke there is a thump as the 40 brass exits the lee die. There is also a release of resistance.

I just hooked up a DAA bullet feeder with their powder drop die, which bells (flares) the case but also does it with a ring expansion that allows the bullet to sit straight. If you have seen one, you know how it looks and how it is different than the dillon one.

The lee die and the powder die now make a thump...thump and the machine jumps or vibrates as it thumps twice. It used to just thump once, when I just used the sizing die and no bullet feeder.

I put a regular lee sizing die in and it is smoother, but still the thump. Anyone else have this problem?

Can I use the regular powder die and still have the bullet dropper work?

I don't like the thump...thump and the jumping that the tool head makes everytime.

Thanks,

Randy

Wow .............. Randy, you and I use(d) the same equipment and we have the identical problem.

I kid you not - it sounds like you were watching my machine!

I'm running a Lee undersize die as well as a DAA Mr Bulletfeeder for 40S&W.

I also have/had the double "thump/pop" on the upstroke as the toolhead was rising.

(1) I swapped out the DAA Mr Bulletfeeder powder funnel and went back to the old/original Dillon powder funnel.

It fixed and totally removed "one" of the two thump/pops.

I worked hard at setting the depth of the size of the bell/flare and I made it as minimal as possible - to the point that the bullets wouldn't actually sit in the casing anymore and would fall out.

Even with insufficient flare/bell, there was still a "pop/thump" as the powder funnel exited out the top of the case on the upstroke.

There is binding using this DAA powder funnel regardless of the depth you set it to.

One can readily see that the DAA Mr Bulletfeeder powder funnel for 40S&W has a distinct and visible "ridge" on it so that the bell will appear to be slightly less curved.

The plain Dillon powder funnel is smooth and curved giving a more pronounced flare.

Once again, I set the original Dillon powder funnel to provide the minimal amount or bell/flare where the case would still accept the bullets from the feeder in the press.

The "pop/thump" has gone with the re-installation of a regular Dillon powder funnel (the plain old "W" sized 40S&W/10mm powder funnel).

(2) I'm running cleaned, de-primed and roller re-sized, mixed range brass through my 1050.

I also use the minimal amount of case lube on the brass as well.

I notice on the upstroke that just as the Lee undersize die exits the top (lets go of) the casing, I get a "pop/thump".

No amount of additional case lube has been able to remove that thumping - it does reduce it a little.

I've also tightened down the shellplate so that it has little, very little vertical movement, and I installed a low mass ball and ring bearing from Hit Factor Shooting.

The shellplate travels smoothly around the press, and a snug shellplate makes resolves any case feeding issues from the little shuttle into the shellplate.

The swaging station also doesn't create any resistance, binding or popping.

BUT, I haven't yet managed to remove that "pop/thump" as the Lee die comes off the brass on the upstroke.

I'm reluctant to get rid of the Lee undersize die ........ but it seems I may have little to no choice.

Randy:

Did you get rid of your Lee undersize die?

Did it get rid of the pop/thump?

Cheers

I think everyone initially goes through that stage... I think using the BF funnel with minimal amount of depth is the best recipe. Just as much as is needed to hold the bullet.

For some reason, with time, this issue tends to go away - that was the case with two of my 1050's. I have not heard it in a long, long time.

Mine is brand new and does the same thing. New or used brass same thing. I got upset and decided not to use it. Changed back to my old powder funnel. Just to see if was true it "wouldn't work" with the dillon funnel I hooked the bullet feeder back up. Guess what, it works perfectly. My powder funnel is the straight tapered one though from dillon.

I was finally able to get rid of the thump, but only for a few strokes of the handle.

I think that the DAA powder funnel is not necessary on the 1050 machines. It looks just like the one on my 550 and I am assuming it is for use in the 650.

The 1050 has the expander and swaging station that can be used to open up the case mouth, like in the first step of the DAA powder funnel. The second step as the case goes up the powder funnel, is to bell the case, which is found on station 4 of the 1050. Basically, the 1050 can do the same thing without the DAA powder funnel, so I find it is not needed. My bullets drop in the case straight and there is enough bell, so I don't need to use it on my 1050.

This took out one of the thumps in my thumping 1050.

I had a lee 40sw die (not Undersize EGW die) that I acquired from somewhere. I put that in and more of the noise went away. After I put in new freshly lubed cases in the casefeeder, or if I rubbed some lube (I used lee lube for my rifle cases) on the case before it was sized, there was NO NOISE.

My gun has ran fine with the cases sized with the regular lee die. I used an EGW case gauge and put them in upside down, since the bullets are too big for the gauge. They gauged fine.

In the end, all I needed with my DAA bulletfeeder was to add and adjust the bullet dropper. Before the bulletfeeder I would place them in by hand and they sat tall and straight. I added the bulletfeeder and the bullets still sit tall and straight, but I just don't have to place them there. I did not need the fancy new powder funnel using my Super1050.

I would try a regular lee 40sw die to get rid of the extra thump and resistance on the machine. I have not seen them sold individually, so you may have to by them as a set. If the rounds run in your gun, you don't need the undersize die.

Now I have a new problem.....I may be posting in a new post. I am changing bullets from Berrys to Xtreme, and the berrys measure .401, the Xtreme, .398-.400. I get bullet setback.

Randy

Thanks Randy

I'll give it a try with a regular re-sizing die if I can find one.

The "thump" is a bit irritating coming from the Lee [EGW] undersize die, but it is nice having a finished product that runs 100% in my gun for competition and training.

I can't help you with the XTreme ............ I've been using Speer 180 Gr FMJs and they're running just fine in the Bulletfeeder and Dillon.

Cheers