Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Load Data

Alan Meek

I saw that winchester madea 115 hollow base as well. Midway had then for like 75 for two thousand... The shipping will kill the deal though... I am going to try and find them locally for a better price...

I'm actually on my way to the range right now. I'm going to pick up a thousand 121jhp zero's. Just to give them a try.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

playing a little in open now.

Bedell Shorty.

Zero 125 jph, over about 7.8 gr. 3N37 @ 1.140" oal.

So far so good.

Is the load compressed at 1.140? I was thinking of trying some 3n37 but was told it would have to be a compressed load and powder will be spillingout all ove rmy machine....

I was thinking of trying some 3n37 but was told it would have to be a compressed load and powder will be spillingout all ove rmy machine....

NOT true! I'm loading 8.1g 3N37 under a 115g MG CMJ. It does not spill all over the place. There is just under a 1/4" of empty case space left and at 1.175" oal the bullet just touches the powder.

I haven't measured it out, but just eyeballing it it looks like it just touches.

I had the bullets seated out further, but just didn't feel comfy with only a mm or so grabbing the bullet.

I didn't want to go compressed, or that short. But the gun feeds and ejects everything, and the load is accurate. Also, I lined it up next to a round nose loaded out to 1.170 and the jhp out to 1.140 is seated at least as long except for the flattened tip. It's a bullet shape thing.

More testing to follow once I get my sillouette.

It's a bullet shape thing.
It sure as hell is when your trying to load long for 9major and have enough bullet left in the case to hold onto. The Montanna Golds have the best profile so far. I have measurements at home if anyone is interested. I can't find the Federal 115's that hae the concave base at a good price, but I'd like to try them if anyone can recomend a good source.

The Silhouette worked up real well with both 115's and 124's.

The hollowbase Federal or Winchester might compress the Viht powders a little bit. It gets a lot of bullet pull in the case, compared to a JHP. Might try buying them

HERE

or

HERE

My shipping estimate was $11 for 1000, $16 for 2000. They also have boxes of 100. Box of 100

The Winchester website has them for a lot higher price but they list WalMart and Sports Authority as dealers in my area.

Practical Shooting Supplies has them too. PSS 1-800-554-3230 although I heard he sold his business.

Thanks Eric. Midway lists them as FMJ bullets, do they have an exposed lead base like a FMJ or is it completely covered by the jacket? The FMJ leaded the comp a lot and I can't say that I enjoyed scraping it out.

There's exposed lead, but not as much as the the Zero FMJ. The jacket is pretty thick. But there is some smoke - which in the Open guns I only notice long after shooting a string of 6 or 8 shots.

I little oil on a Qtip and in your comp chambers will minimize lead build-up but also you should run a bore brush thru the comp - often. The 40cal brushes are good for that. I like the smokeless part of shooting JHPs, especially in Limited, but my sensation with 9Major is that the 124 JHP is more violent in the gun than the 115 FMJ; the 124 doesn't want to start down the bore as easily, I guess.

Shot about 150 of the 124s and about 90 of the 115s in one session. It was really surprising that the 115s were both flatter AND softer - that usually only happens if you change powders. I guess they seal the comp a little better.

I did some more testing last week. Gun is a 5" threaded bull barrel with no barrel ports and a 4 port comp. All loads are with mixed brass and Federal SR primers.

124 MG JHP

7.1g Silhouette

Ave=1343 PF=166.5 ES=34 SD=10

124 MG JHP

7.5g 3N37

Ave=1340 PF=166.2 ES=34 SD=10

115g MG CMJ

8.1g 3N37

Ave= 1436 PF=165.2 ES=29 SD=7

Damn that is pretty good prices for shipping Eric... When I checked for a s hipping quote it was like $45 for 2000. I can get the zero's for $49 a 1000 out the door locally. Hopefully I can find some 115's next... I loaded some 121's with hs7 and hs6 hopefully I'll get to go and shoot them this weekend.....

Is this data with a chrono we can trust, or are you still taking a shot in the dark (literally) with that laughable little tinker-toy?      

The crappy chrono has been retired for good.

All new data, you witnessed it. BTW-I doubt that anyone gets your joke.

By tinkertoy I'm guessing he means Shooting Chrony?

At Frank Garcia's range, my buddy's Chrony showed my 40cal loads at 158pf, then I went back home and used my PACT, it showed 165 [where I thought it was]. The Area 6 chrono matched my PACT exactly - a small powder bump up to 169.

BTW my next 9Major chrono session will have 9.0gr of 3n38 and 8.8gr of N105 behind a 115 FMJ. Both loads fit in the case but they compress. So did 7.8gr N105 behind a 124 JHP. They shoot soft, just too many ppl at the range to chrono.

Yep. Mine had the opposite problem as yours. I went minor with my .40 two years ago and sneaked by last year. I am grateful that Adam was so perplexed by the data, that he took 3 chronos out together and figured that mine was 60fps or so too fast.

I have deleted any old chrono data from this thread. I'm currently using a CED Millenium with IR screens. It's one sweet unit.

Well I've been shootin TB for the last few matches and well, I'm just not sold on it. Silhouette seems just ok also, much better pressure signs however. Got a hold of some HS6 and need a starting load....ok a load that will make major.

125 Zero JHP (.355)

I'm thinking and reading that about 8.5 grs should do the trick. Sound right?

Oh yea it a 5 inch gun with two hybrid holes.

At Frank Garcia's range, my buddy's Chrony showed my 40cal loads at 158pf, then I went back home and used my PACT, it showed 165 [where I thought it was].

Don't even get me started, I flew up from Bolivia to MINOR at Frank's match. Gosh, was that fun!!! <_<

Back to the 9mm HE thread. I may be out to Frank's trying the Open thang with Hacksaw, Paul and the boys, if it quits raining and I get over my cold....

I'm sure I will think of 20 more excuses at 0700. ;)

VV 3n37 data for my Bedell shorty in 9mm (no barrel holes)

all loads are 125gr JHP, mixed brass, WSP primers, at 1.17 OAL, 70degrees dry and sunny.

8.0 grs VV 3n37

VEL. AVG. HI LOW SD ES PF

1362 fps 1375 1336 12.4 38.1 170.2

8.2 grs VV 3n37

1364 fps 1377 1345 8.8 31.9 170.5

8.4 grs VV 3n37

1392 fps 1401 1383 6.0 18.1 174.0

The first two loads shot fine (vertical dot track, and dot stayed in the lens) and felt very similar as you can see by the numbers. The 8.4 grs started to feel a little hotter (dot left the lens but still tracked vertically) and there was starting to be a few pieces of brass with signs of primer flow.

Take care, Craig

In my 9mm open gun I am using:

7,7g 3N37

124g

OAL 31,0mm

that gets me 165 pwr factor

axray,

isn't that cutting it close?

Since he's listed his OAL in millimeters (with commas in place of periods ;) ), I'd have to assume he's shooting IPSC and not USPSA... so he's fine. :)

you are right. I am from europe/austria and shooting ipsc. but I would be happy to try a uspsa match as well.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I would like to thank everyone that has added information to this thread regarding loads and personal experience. You guys have done an outstanding job in communicating this data to everyone. I really appreciate seeing when this thread is linked in other posts.

New Loads added

UPDATED 7625 INFO Added 6/25/05

Note: The bullet and OAL are only for the following two 7625 loads only.

Bullet Hornady 124gr FMJ encapsulated

Cartridge OAL 1.178

Average Avg PF Hi Low AvDv StDev

7.0gr 1342.56 166.5 1355 1322 8.05 11.02

7.2gr 1372.6 170.2 1392 1358 10.72 12.75

The loads were also added on the 1st post.

I need to adjust the OAL and I see if the 7.0 gr load can improve on the StDev and Average velocity.

Will update here as usual

Alan Meek B)