Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Aluminum Grips - CRACKED

Speedmonger

I had a thought on this whole Aluminum grip topic.... Not to make light of any of the prior discussions as I suspect they are all related..

But, my guess is that some of the undue stress is coming from seating full magazines... when I say that, I mean taking a 9mm Major mag and putting 30 in it and then forcing that *start* seat or 30+1. I'll bet if you downloaded to say 29, and did that for the life of the grip, that it would prolong it's life. Not saying it wouldn't still crack, but I've seen how plastic grips *flex* when you load like this and it only goes to show that an aluminum is going to be less forgiving. That and hanging a full 170mm mag out the bottom during recoil, all of this has got to put some strange harmonics into the grip.

I'm gonna play with one of these, I'm sure it will crack, but I'm hoping that it's benefit, and STI's support will survive for a while until they figure out how to fix them the correct way...

However this Mag cramming thing did stick me as a influencer.

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a replacement grip after finding cracks on both sides and around the bottom of the trigger guard on my first aluminum grip. That one lasted 7-8K rounds. The new grip already has a 1/2 inch crack on one side after less than 1000 rounds. The crack was not there before this weekend when I shot ~500 rounds between a practice session and a large match.

There is a lot of speculation about what STI has done to improve the grip. IMHO, nothing has changed. The fit did seem tighter on this grip than the last.

BTW - I love the solid feel and extra weight of the grip. I will replace it again for the cost of shipping to STI (TAT was 7 days on last replacement), once the cracks get longer or I see cracks around the trigger guard.

Hey guys, I've finally figured it out!! A picture of my grip number 6 or something is posted on page 2. I've cracked 8 of these grips and they are just going to continue cracking until something is done about the design and fit. It's been over a year and nothing has changed so I wouldn't expect anything soon, but i've finally figured it out.

My current grip now has over 12,000 rounds on it without the slightest hint of a crack. So if you want my current fix grab your pencil.

Here's what you do:

First, pick up the phone

Second, call and ask for Brandon Strayer at SVI/Infinity Firearms

Third, tell him what style grip you want

Fourth, ship him your pistol to fit it

Fifth, VOILA!

Your done, that's it, nothing more to it. If I knew it was that easy I would have done it to begin with. Not only have I not had to fit another 3 or 4 grips, but Brandon can actually answer my questions in regards to the engineering, tolerences, and composition of the grip. He's called my in the interim to make sure I'm satisfied and answer more of my question. A true Professional.

So the puzzle has been solved........

Hey guys, I've finally figured it out!! A picture of my grip number 6 or something is posted on page 2. I've cracked 8 of these grips and they are just going to continue cracking until something is done about the design and fit. It's been over a year and nothing has changed so I wouldn't expect anything soon, but i've finally figured it out.

My current grip now has over 12,000 rounds on it without the slightest hint of a crack. So if you want my current fix grab your pencil.

Here's what you do:

First, pick up the phone

Fifth, VOILA!

Your done, that's it, nothing more to it. If I knew it was that easy I would have done it to begin with. Not only have I not had to fit another 3 or 4 grips, but Brandon can actually answer my questions in regards to the engineering, tolerences, and composition of the grip. He's called my in the interim to make sure I'm satisfied and answer more of my question. A true Professional.

So the puzzle has been solved........

Good for you :cheers: :cheers:

You put a Steel SVI grip onto your STI upper...and your STI magazines fit......?????

I'm confused and a good a little envious.

Ciao.

Yes, all my STI mags fit in the SVI grip. I had no issues from when I recieved it.

front side and back side...

how many rnds did u have in ur mag when this happend... if you are doing a hard reload/load then the mag pushes down on the catch which in turn pulls the grip away from the frame thus the crack... just make sure the mags u are loading have a little room to breath.

Is this on a full size or small grip? I exchanged my small for a full size but haven't done anything with it yet. Thanks!

Old and New grips both full-size. I have a second gun with about 4K on the aluminum grip without any signs of cracking.

Read post #32

Interested in round counts of grips that have NOT cracked. Maybe no one can get over 2000rds without cracking...

My STI has about 15 thousand without a crack. The other gun about 5 K (both aluminium grips.

Update to my previous post - I just noticed a hairline crack at the bottom of the trigger guard. It could had been there earlier, I just looked closer this time. :wacko:

I have three guns with the STI Aluminum grips - 2 open and 1 limited. Round counts with no visible cracks as follows:

Main open: 8K+

Back up open: 2K+

Limited: 2K+

From what I'm reading here, I'm expecting one of these to crack eventually. Also, sounds like STI hasn't done anything to improve it?!

Edited by Davidp1911

I fit one to my Limited gun about 3 weeks ago. It took me 3 hours to fit it, taking my time with a file. As per B.Keigans suggestion, I fit it to slip on with the same effort as my plastic grip. The key ways are tight to the frame (front to back) but the top of the grip (sides) don't flex out when I slip the grip on the frame. I also had to lower the front shelf above the trigger guard, the flat surface between the magwell and very front of the grip). The grip wasn't installing high enough for me to install the bushings easily. I didn't want any springing, or flex when it slipped onto the frame.

After ProAm my plan is to have it hard anodized and see if this may increase longevity. Looking at the blue ano'd grip, I can still see the machining marks on the inside of the grip (inside/top). My grip wouldn't even start on the frame until I matched the inside width to the frame width. Now I'm curious where I can install some Sims vibration dampers...

I do like the way it shoots so it's worth it to me.

Wow..a blast from the past...Sims Vibration control rings...they work miricales on my cd's...wonder if they'll do the same for my guns?

Thanks and Ciao.

Edited by Carmine

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if bedding the grip to the frame with something like steel bed would help? At least the key way area's and the area where they are cracking might be worth a try.

Getting the grip solid to the frame like glass bedding a rifle action is what I mean. Brandon's explanation sounds like there is a lack of fit that allows the top frame room to work against the grip frame.

Edited by Ross Carter

Brandon explained the why of grip cracking with the STI frames.

It's about tolerances. I think a specially made version of the grip for STI was in the making, but I don't know about its status today.

I run STI mags as my training mags in three different pistols, all with SV Stainless Signature grips, and they works perfect, all I had to do was to modifiy my base pads which were too wide for the SV magwell.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: Is this on the small grips or both? I really want to try one of these grips since I think they would give more feed back through the grip. Maybe too much feedback it sounds like? I wonder if they change the alloy they are using if that would make them last? I guess I'll keep playing with the plastic grips I'm using now for a while. I am sure STI will figure it out soon. Thanks, Eric

"I really want to try (TRY???) one of these grips..."!!!

"...keep playing w/ the plastic grips..."!!!

Hey - you were one of the reasons I ordered the Al grip (see: 2011 Lowers in 1911 Forum)!!!

WTF - over - ?

-jb

• 2 weeks later...

Just got one today. Fitting was tight. I am concerned hearing about all the cracking problems. On a side note: Rescomp mags will not fit the small aluminum grip. They (mags) are 5 thousands thicker, and wedge 1/4 of the way in. Very disappointing as my rescomp mags allow me 21 + 1 in limited. I'll be removing the alum, and going back to plastic.

Edited by jnikoley

Just got one today. Fitting was tight. I am concerned hearing about all the cracking problems. On a side note: Rescomp mags will not fit the small aluminum grip. They (mags) are 5 thousands thicker, and wedge 1/4 of the way in. Very disappointing as my rescomp mags allow me 21 + 1 in limited. I'll be removing the alum, and going back to plastic.

Can you just sand out .005" or a bit more out of the grip interior? That isn't much material - I'll bet the tolerance stacking adds up to at least that much between the mag body and the grip molding. What do you think? A dowel with some 120 wrapped around it might be the ticket.

No prob fitting the grip to frame. No prob with STI mags. The Rescomp mags wedge in the magwell of the grip, on or off the frame. I was able to get the rescomp mags to work, however, it did require re-contouring the interior of the grip. Took about 5 hours. I used spray paint inside the grip and seated the mags noting where the paint wore off. I removed the offending areas, mainly reducing the radius at the rear of the magazine well, bottom to top. As a side affect, the STI mags go in and out of the gun like greased snot. I do like the aluminum grips slimmer profile. I measured it, and it was substantially narrower side to side, and it feels a lot more comfortable in my hands. Hopefully it wont break.

Edited by jnikoley

Here's what you do:

First, pick up the phone

Fifth, VOILA!

I am curious how much this solution cost... (I know, if you have to ask you can't afford it)

I'm not surprised that anything that mixes IPSC and aluminum ends up on the wrong side for the aluminum...this was a lesson learned when the first hi-cap 1911 based frames came out...Para Ordnance. I believe the cracking problem was one of the major reasons they went to steel in their frames. I had one and the cracks usually started at the back of the frame along top or bottom cut line of the trigger race. Here you'd have to note that there wouldn't be any problems with fitting of a separate grip as the frame is one piece and probably thicker in most places than either STI or SV grips. Drilling holes to stop the crack from running didn't work, and neither did epoxy-ing aluminum grips on. Still cracked at the thinnest place.

I have three Para double stacked guns; two Open, one Limited, with steel frames and never a problem with metal fatigue or stress cracking...exact same design just stronger material. The stainless steel grips for STI/SV guns would probably be the answer but the question would then be wouldn't it be much less expensive to go to a Caspian or Para based gun? And throw the money saved into reloading components?

Here's what you do:

First, pick up the phone

Fifth, VOILA!

I am curious how much this solution cost... (I know, if you have to ask you can't afford it)

I'm now over 20,000 rounds and NO CRACKS.

As for the cost, Call Brandon at SVI / Infinity and ask. I think that SVI's are just a little more than STI's, but STI's just crack so your really just wasting money. Why spend a little less for a product that is just going to break when you can buy the product that works??

I just fit one of these on my gun.... I got the large and it took a lot to get it to slip on without stressing the thing. Also, no magwell would fit it without extensive grinding. Also found that the hole location for the magwell pin were not concentric. :blink:

JT

Edited by JThompson