Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Troy Battlerails

usp45ss

Anybody have one of the Troy battlerails on their 3 gun upper? Noticed they make a 13" model that would probably cover my gas block. They also have a V-tac model with the elongated vent holes in the tube or the extreme model with the round holes. How much do they weigh compared to a JP Vtac? Troy's website only says that they are the lightest free float. Any complaints about them? Looks like the price is now $189 down from $239 before SHOT.

Edited by usp45ss

Someone on AR15.com did a pretty nice write-up on the TRX Extreme that he put on a 3-gun rifle. Cold, Stickman--I don't remember, but it was a well respected, longtime poster. He had many good things to say about it, and I think he ended up preferring it to his V-Tac tubes (which he also likes a lot). Based on the few people in the thread that had them, I'd purchase without worry. Troy makes good stuff. I'll try to find the thread.

Personally, I'll stick with the V-Tac, 'cause I dislike rails when I don't need them. I even put a V-Tac on my duty rifle, because I really only need one 2-inch section of rail for the whole dang thing.

I have an AR I built just for fun. 14.5" barrel with perm attached flash hider. I put a 13 inch Troy battle rail on it. The cost was comparable to the JP because I needed a rail on top for a HG mounted sight and one other short segment for a light. When you add the JP to the cost of the top rail, it was close enough. The JP short segment that comes with it says it's not for use on top (I don't know why - whether it doesn't fit, or whether it makes the HG blow up or something....)

I like my Troy. Sounds like the price point it is at now is better than when I bought.

ETA: JP = Vtac

Edited by Surge

While I don't have a weight for the JP VTAC tube...I do for the VTAC TRX by Troy. Its 12.7 ounces with the barrel nut. My PRI carbon fiber 12" tube weighs 12.3 with the barrel nut.

The TRX is very slim and sturdy as well. One huge benefit of the TRX series of rails is the slim profile of them. I've been at matches where they cut slots for you to shoot through and my PRI carbon fiber handguard would not fit through to allow a good braced position. The TRX series would have fit through those slots with no issue. Its a nice rail with a super slim profile and a great feel. I have 13" rails on both of my Noveske competition guns as well as Rob and Jansen on their guns. Looking forward to the new custom rails that Troy is making for the team this year. They will be slick.

The 13" rail covers half of my gas block on the rifle gas upper

I recently installed the 13 inch rifle length Viking Tactics version that I bought from CPWSA: Handguard link (Chris Patty is an outstanding person to buy from, BTW) It went over a JP low profile adjustable gas block and middy 16 inch barrel. The gas adjustment screw is accessible thru the slot in front of it.

Compared to my friends' JP handguards, I'd say it's a bit lighter. That's just by feel, however. I've haven't been able to take actual weight measurements yet. Diameter-wise, I'd say it's smaller.

I have no complaints so far, but I've only shot it off the bench to check POI. I still need to shoot it in a match. But it definitely feels great.

Gordo

:D

post-794-126460718941_thumb.jpg

Someone on AR15.com did a pretty nice write-up on the TRX Extreme that he put on a 3-gun rifle. Cold, Stickman--I don't remember, but it was a well respected, longtime poster. He had many good things to say about it, and I think he ended up preferring it to his V-Tac tubes (which he also likes a lot). Based on the few people in the thread that had them, I'd purchase without worry. Troy makes good stuff. I'll try to find the thread.

Personally, I'll stick with the V-Tac, 'cause I dislike rails when I don't need them. I even put a V-Tac on my duty rifle, because I really only need one 2-inch section of rail for the whole dang thing.

Yeah both Stick and I did a review over on ARF. I run a 13" Troy Extreme. I am working with Tom at Troy on something else related to the rail actually. For 3 gun its a great rail due to it being slim, lighter and has the "add a rail" option should you want a rail someplace. Other wise its smooth except for the 12 O Clock positon. For a bit more money it beats the JP/Vtac rail out of the water. It is simple to install too.

Edited by cold

I built up a new rifle in the off season w/Spike's upper and lower, Sabre 18" SS barrel and the new Troy 13" battlerail. It seems lighter than my Sabre 16" SS barreled gun w/JP tube on it with the same optic/mount combo on both.

Overall, the Troy was very easy to install and good looking. I like the new Troy better. Only down side is it looks like it would be difficult to mount flip up BUIS at the 1:30-2 o'clock position on the Troy. However, I saw a slick video of some offset LMT BUIS from the SHOT show that will be going on all of my Tact Optic rifles when they come available.

Is there a difference between the Troy TRX Extreme and the VTAC of similar build? I know both are made by Troy but I'm curious if there's a difference in the two?

the Troy has holes and the VTAC has elongated slots. I personally think he VTAC looks better.

• 1 year later...

I have one of the Troy TRX rails and I agree with all of the attributes previously stated in the thread. However there are some drawbacks. Even with a vary low profile gasblock the rail flexes enough for the handguard to touch in turn negating the freefloat effect. Also even with the small gas block it does interfere with the mounting of a rail piece at 6 oclock. As always YMMV.....I like the rail but it is not the end all be all answer.

Even with a vary low profile gasblock the rail flexes enough for the handguard to touch in turn negating the freefloat effect.

With a Troy gas block, would have to be some pretty hefty flexing. Mine clears (and I can't get it to touch with forces I would normally use in shooting).

003-28.jpg

But you are right, if you are covering your block with the handguard, you may have clearance issues with a rail at 6 o'clock at the furthest forward holes. If you moved it back an inch or two, should clear fine.

Even with a vary low profile gasblock the rail flexes enough for the handguard to touch in turn negating the freefloat effect.

With a Troy gas block, would have to be some pretty hefty flexing. Mine clears (and I can't get it to touch with forces I would normally use in shooting).

003-28.jpg

But you are right, if you are covering your block with the handguard, you may have clearance issues with a rail at 6 o'clock at the furthest forward holes. If you moved it back an inch or two, should clear fine.

Sean,

The top is fine but as you mention if you run a rifle forearm on a middy the bottom has very little room. Doesn't take much to get it to touch.

I have a 13" TRX that partially covers a Vltor clamp-on style gas block. There was very little clearance between the inside of the handguard and the screw heads. I was able to flex the handguard enough that they would almost touch. I had to ground down the heads of the hex screws a little to get some more clearance.

• 11 months later...

I have the 13" extreme on a noveske and the gas block def interferes with the placement of 6 o'clock rail as in an AFG grip. You can feng shui two smaller sections of rail and bridge the pieces with the AFG. I think the Troy VTAC version has the same clearance but might have more adjustablility when it comes to shimmying rail sections. I could flex my barrel to touch the gas block but it would not touch during even hard use in a match. Super light and comfortable.

just went to vtacs website cause I hadn't heard about the 15" version... and it's showing them all except the 7 and 9" as discontinued? (well it says the battlerail "FDE" are discontinued, what's FDE?)

-rvb

just went to vtacs website cause I hadn't heard about the 15" version... and it's showing them all except the 7 and 9" as discontinued? (well it says the battlerail "FDE" are discontinued, what's FDE?)

-rvb

Flat Dark Earth. AKA tan.

I have several of them. Lightweight and relatively easy to install.

I'm running mid-length gas systems and cut down/ground down the factory front sight bases. I can't torque on it enough to make the rail contact the gas block with the 13" model. Also with the gas block slightly recessed I can run the short bottom rail for a bipod at 6 o'clock.

The main down side to these type of handguards is how hot they get, just sitting in the car or after a couple mags. So I had some nylon wraps made for mine: http://sinistralrifleman.com/2012/01/27/coyote-tactical-fore-end-wrap/

-rvb

Flat Dark Earth. AKA tan.

ah. ok. was thinking about trying a longer one. guess i still can, it just wont match my shoes or purse! haha

-rvb