Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FIRE SAFETY

Chris Keen

When I load I keep my bench as cleans as possible and all my powder primers locked in my safe. I only fill the powder measure then put the rest up. I also keep fire extinguisher in room and smoke detector my room is small so my backup exit is my window

Powder and primers inside of a safe = bomb

Well Powders/Primers/Bullets= Bomb no matter what. I figure at least in my Fire Rated Safe it keeps them safer then laying powder all around my house for a thief to get and moisture.

Not true. If not contained by a huge metal box, they blow up and go nowhere. Watch that video that Chris Keen posted

• 1 month later...

get the MSDS for the powders you have.

for instance, http://www.accuratepowder.com/products/msds/

the MSDS has explicit instructions for dealing with smokeless powder fires.

specifically take note:

EXTINGUISHING MEDIA:
Apply large volumes of water as quickly as possible from automatic sprinklers or with fire hose from a distant,protected location. FIGHT EXPLOSIVE FIRES ONLY FROM WELL PROTECTED,DISTANT (FROM POINT OF FIRE) LOCATION.
Since product is self-oxidizing, smothering agents such as dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or foam are ineffective.

that last sentence is extremely important!

• 1 month later...

From SAMMI:

Storage enclosures for smokeless powder should be constructed in a similar manner:

1. Of fire-resistant and heat-insulating materials to protect contents from external heat.

2. Sufficiently loose to vent the gaseous products of combustion satisfactorily which would result if the quantity of smokeless powder within the enclosure accidentally ignited. Storage cabinets should be constructed of insulating materials and with a weak wall, seams or joints to provide an easy means of self- ventilation.

If you've ever seen industrial paint cabinets, they're not much more than an insulated metal box with a vent. They do lock so the door has a latch. It's no stretch to see that an old refrigerator with a magnetic strip door (NOT the old latch type) is perfect for storing powder. Unplug it first!

Obviously, since by law a refrigerator door must be able to be opened by a toddler, it will not allow pressure to build up in a fire.

Edited by blujax01

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have dealt with a lot of explosives in my military career. The prefered container no-spark no-static interior (wood with brass hardware). Outside strong to control blast, the top should be loose or weak enough to blow off from blast. This way you will not stop the problem but control it to the point of keeping damage to a minimum. And always store detonator and charge far from each other.

Lookup NFPA recommendations for storage of smokeless powder. It's likely your local AHJ has adopted these for storage of powder. 1" nominal thickness wooden box for any decent amount of powder. For the powder to catch fire the wood will have burned through creating a vent. If you want some extra fire protection put a layer of fire board on the outside.

If being in violation of fire code, electrical code, using non-UL appliances was enough for an insurer to deny a claim almost no house fires would be covered.

If you didn't set it on fire on purpose it's covered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have one 8-lb container of powder. I keep it underneath a table and against a back wall, surrounded by 4 gallons of water in plastic bottles and 4 boxes of sodium bicarbonate. The idea is if it burns, it'll immediately release water and carbon dioxide. Since gunpowder contains both oxidizer and reducer, don't know how effective the carbon dioxide would be but the water should be a definite help.

I have one 8-lb container of powder. I keep it underneath a table and against a back wall, surrounded by 4 gallons of water in plastic bottles and 4 boxes of sodium bicarbonate. The idea is if it burns, it'll immediately release water and carbon dioxide. Since gunpowder contains both oxidizer and reducer, don't know how effective the carbon dioxide would be but the water should be a definite help.

Someone posted the MSDS sheet upthread. Water will be somewhat effective, but carbon dioxide will have no impact on smokeless powder burning.

Fire Protection is a real field of work, and industry standards for safe storage of most flammable materials, like smokeless powder, have been established. Sodium Bicarbonate is not involved.

• 11 months later...

I'd also recommend not doing any work with an open flame near a workbench that you previously reloaded.  I once set off a primer with a blow torch by accident.  I had taken all my relaoding stuff off the bench but didn't see the primer.  I'm sure there was powder on the bench also.  Luckily didnt get hurt.  +1 on fire extinguisher

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I like surplus flammable cabinets for powder and primers.  They're not real expensive in smaller sizes at bankrupcy sales or auctions, pretty fire-resistant and have pressure vents if worst comes to worst.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I built solid wood cabinet following this design for my primers: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/aw-extra-112113-flammables-cabinet/

For powder storage I added some wood to a cabinet from craigslist to meet NFPA 1" nominal wall thickness, plus some insulation board. Both doors are just spring hinged, no latch. Then I painted with an intumescent paint the article above suggested.

IMG_20221030_074027.jpg

IMG_20221030_074204.jpg

IMG_20221030_074332.jpg

Edited by EricF1
added 'doors'