Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Scoring Software

Gun Geek

I don't like the way the IDPA program sorts people and the outputs. For the club I help with I made up a scoring program in Excel using some VB macros and input panels. Then the match data can be sorted properly and then emailed out in a form people can do something with. For local matches, I don't like the division class break-out, so I came up with my own.

sure shoot me an email, please include your return email address.

only condition is you can't use it as the base for any commercial software development. the spreadsheet and any further enhancements must remain free to the shooting public.

Not the greatest or most intuitive software around but it sure beats using excel for me. Then again I don't get into creating macros so it's probably me. I like the ability to export in several ways. It would be nice if you could incorporate an email function to shoot results out only to the shooters that were in the match. I went ahead and created a website and posted scores there. Life was much easier after that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I am in scoring hell.

I agreed to score an IDPA match for the first time, with nine stages and over thirty shooters.

The software on the IDPA website is a counterintuitive dog.

I'm trying to use a spreadsheet I received with previous results, but it's tedious.

Any suggestions for something better?

I'll check it out ... thanks guys.

Now ... since I posted that message, I got all of the data into a spreadsheet and it looks like I got all of the numbers right.

But I don't seem to know how to sort rows based on the values in a specific column (i.e. total time). I tried to use the help feature in Excel, but it was ... vague.

It's probably pretty simple ... hints, please?

I'll check it out ... thanks guys.

Now ... since I posted that message, I got all of the data into a spreadsheet and it looks like I got all of the numbers right.

But I don't seem to know how to sort rows based on the values in a specific column (i.e. total time). I tried to use the help feature in Excel, but it was ... vague.

It's probably pretty simple ... hints, please?

First, hightlight the whole speadsheet (or all the cells with data)

Top row...

Data > Sort > Asending > Column (where ever you have the totals).

Thanks! I'll give it a go!

Okay ... I'm a silly goose. For some reason, I looked in every menu but "Data" before I asked for help here. When I did what Flex$ said to do, the sort criteria were already there, saved with the spreadsheet.

It worked fine. I am a doofus!

Thanks again!

Edited by rhino

The IDPA software blows chunks. I picked up a fairly basic spreadsheet from someone (sorry, I can't remember who) and tweaked it out quite a bit. It works and looks pretty good.

You can see an example of the output here:

http://scarfg.org/idpa/results_data/071704/071704.htm

It's not easy to use just yet, still working out the bugs...

- Gabe

PS: I had a 40-second malf at that match...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

One of my pet peeves for IDPA scorekeepers that use Excel is that they don't sort the final results properly. Specifically the standard Class sort will be alphabetical so it will come out EX, MA, MM, NV, SS instead of MA, EX, SS, MM, NV. To get it to come out correctly requires a little bit of Excel "magic". Luckily I know this particular trick and am willing to share. :P

First you've got to creat a custom sort list for the IDPA class abbreviations.

Click Tools...Options...(opens new window)

Custom Lists tab...(Add NEW LIST) MA, EX, MM, SS, NV or whatever is

desired

Click OK to submit

Then to sort in IDPA order (Division, then Class, then Final Score) you use your new custom sort list.

Select the cells to be sorted.

You have to do two sorts to get it right. For the first sort:

Click Data...Sort...(opens new window)

Options...(opens new window)

Select your new custom sort list, OK

Select your sort columns/header names as needed for

Class, then

Division, then

Final Score

Click OK to submit

Then do a second sort:

Click Data...Sort...

Options...

Select Normal, OK

Division

(none)

(none)

Click OK to submit

Now the results should look right!

Hope this helps,

-Vincent

PS: Or you could just use ForScore and all of this stuff is handled automatically.

In case you weren't following my previous post. What the instructions generate is a set of results that looks like "normal" IDPA style results:

CDP MA 1st

CDP MA 2nd (etc)

CDP EX 1st

CDP EX 2nd (etc)

CDP SS 1st

CDP SS 2nd (etc)

CDP MM 1st

CDP MM 2nd (etc)

CDP NV 1st

CDP NV 2nd (etc)

ESP MA 1st (etc)

(through)

ESP NV 1st (etc)

SSP MA 1st (etc)

(through)

SSP NV 1st (etc)

SSR MA 1st (etc)

(through)

SSR NV 1st (etc)

---

Sanctioned match results are supposed to be sorted by Division, Class, and Final Score (like above). Each Division and Class stands alone for awards so you need to know who was 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc in each Division+Class designation in addition to Division Champion.

Any type of overall results are considered "unofficial" and therefore usually viewed as secondary. In overall results I usually don't even sort by division since most folks just want to see how they did against everyone straight up.

I am with Rhino...when I am looking at IDPA scores, it seems silly when the EX with a faster time is further down the page than the MA's s/he has beat.

Pretty easy to go down the list and find the first, second & third in each class of a division.

The reason in IDPA that scores are grouped together based on class (i.e. MM, SS, EXP, MA, etc.) is based on the concept that you are ONLY competing with people in your class. It's also important to remember that if you win your class at a major match, you are automatically moved to the next higher class on the spot (if you win your class with a score that beats others in even higher classes, you may be leapfroged over the next class and be moved to an even higher class). IDPA methods and procedures differ from USPSA and IPSC and cannot be viewed with the same rationale. It would be like comparing a steel match to a bullseye match, two completely different sports.

I am in scoring hell.

I agreed to score an IDPA match for the first time, with nine stages and over thirty shooters.

The software on the IDPA website is a counterintuitive dog.

I'm trying to use a spreadsheet I received with previous results, but it's tedious.

Any suggestions for something better?

I ran the scoring for two monthly USPSA matches for 6 years using MSS and Easy Winscore. The largest matches had upwards of 50 people. It took at least 35 to 45 minutes (based on 5-6 stages of scoresheets) to enter the times, penalties, etc.

With the IDPA Scoring software, I do the same in 15 minutes. The scoresheets are much more simple and intuitive since everything is based on the Vickers Count scoring system and the only component entered is time. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I find the IDPA software very simple and fast.

The IDPA software blows chunks. I picked up a fairly basic spreadsheet from someone (sorry, I can't remember who) and tweaked it out quite a bit.  It works and looks pretty good.

You can see an example of the output here:

http://scarfg.org/idpa/results_data/071704/071704.htm

It's not easy to use just yet, still working out the bugs...

- Gabe

PS:  I had a 40-second malf at that match...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it  :)

I like the fact you can see other penalties in addition to points down. I don't like the sorting method. As others have stated seeing it sorted by Division then Class is a much better way to go. You might already have this capability.

It's an interesting and timely thread...still looking.

• 3 weeks later...