Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SpeedSec Holsters

Resjudicata

I've been using my CR Speed WS2 since I got my Limited gun in '06. I've modified the lock tab so that you can't draw or knock the gun out when it is locked. I've done okay with it so, no serious complaints. One thing I don't care much for is the holster hanging down and in the way when the gun isn't in it. This isn't a huge problem rather more of an annoyance.

Now, I got a Speedsec holster from Shooter's Connection last week for my revolver. I decided to try this type holster so that I could potentially use the same holster for all my revo's without any adjustments and so forth. Also, I wanted to try a holster that would not be in my way when the gun isn't in it.

Wow, I really like this holster so far. It was a bit too tight when I got it so I had to use some sandpaper/file inside so that the trigger guard would slide easily. The trigger guard latch inside is shaped so that when the trigger guard on the gun moves the latch into closed mode the lock lever can be moved into the locked position. So, that means that unless you have the gun in the holster properly it won't lock. This acts as kind of a quick check to know if the gun is in the holster correctly and latched.

With the latch closed on the holstered gun's trigger guard you can't knock the gun out by hitting the grip or barrel or anything else unless you lift the gun vertically out of the holster. This makes me feel more secure than my CR Speed. On my CR if the gun is latched in but not locked you can knock it out very easily. Not so with the Speedsec. In fact, it seems to me that it is just as secure as a kydex. It takes exactly the same movement to pull the gun from either holster and taking the gun in any other direction other that straight up will not get the gun clear of the holster.

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these for my Limited gun too. Does anyone know of any potential problems with using my 6" STI in a Speedsec that I may not know? My STI trigger guard is double undercut, does that cause a problem with these types of holsters?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, like you I was using a CR WSM previously. I switched to a Speedsec and couldn't be happier. Being a lefty it can be hard to find a suitable holster. Especially with one that can be unlocked on the draw. I use mine for my 6" STI with the same grip mods as you describe. No problems whatsoever.

Gary

What I like about the SpeedSec is the lock, it is in the right position to take off as part of the draw grasp. We had Raw Deal as a classifier and it is nice to know that you can just sit in the chair without worrying about the gun popping out.

What I like about the SpeedSec is the lock, it is in the right position to take off as part of the draw grasp. We had Raw Deal as a classifier and it is nice to know that you can just sit in the chair without worrying about the gun popping out.

That's the same classifier we just shot this past Sunday. I had my big 6 1/2" barreled revolver in my Speedsec with the lock on and didn't have any problem on the sitting part or the draw after the beep. I only had one dry fire practice with this holster and revolver before the classifier. It is quite easy to get used to.

I'm going to get a closer look at a local guy's Ghost holster to compare them this weekend. The Ghost looks like it has a much smaller locking lever. I'm going to be looking at that to see if I can reach it as well as my Speedsec. I have smallish hands for my size and the fact that I can reach the lock on the Speedsec so well is one of the big things I like about it.

Chris

• 2 months later...
With the latch closed on the holstered gun's trigger guard you can't knock the gun out by hitting the grip or barrel or anything else unless you lift the gun vertically out of the holster. This makes me feel more secure than my CR Speed.

Don't feel too secure, you can still roll the gun out "backwards". I left my cell phone in my pocket once, when I bent over to get something out of my bag, the cell phone pushed the barrel forward, which cased the gun to cam out of the SpeedSec backwards.

I'm in the same boat - I swore off 'race' holsters after having a Ghost for a short time. Didn't like how the gun could roll backwards even while locked. I ran Kydex in limited for a while, but decided to give the Speedsec a try - so far, it is awesome. Simple and way more comfortable that the Ghost was. I love the engineering of the lock mechanism - simply genius. My Tanfoglio can NOT come out, roll forward or backward, even while unlocked, unless you move it vertically about 1/4". I have yet to run it in a match, but dryfire has been great so far. I've even forgot to lock it when picking up mags and no problems. Vigorous turn and draws are no sweat, even unlocked. Also, it seems far less prone to accidental wedgies with a less than perfect draw compared to the Ghost.

My only beef with them: I ordered the holster last year from their website, but didn't get any response - no confirmation, no holster, no bill. So, any hope of customer service from them seems bleak, but I can't foresee needing any. Henning finally started carrying them for Tanfo's, so I ordered from him. Seems like Chuck has most of the other models, so they are out there.

As for the double undercut trigger guard - As long as there are two points of contact on the bottom of the trigger guard that are same/similar thickness as a stock trigger guard, you should be fine.

With the latch closed on the holstered gun's trigger guard you can't knock the gun out by hitting the grip or barrel or anything else unless you lift the gun vertically out of the holster. This makes me feel more secure than my CR Speed.

Don't feel too secure, you can still roll the gun out "backwards". I left my cell phone in my pocket once, when I bent over to get something out of my bag, the cell phone pushed the barrel forward, which cased the gun to cam out of the SpeedSec backwards.

You either didn't have a Speedsec or you didn't have the gun in the holster all the way. Because, there is no way a gun will roll forward or backward out of a Speedsec when it is in the holster properly. These holsters are VERY secure.

Chris

Only problem is when you have a thumb rest on your open gun, it will need a big spacer.

I use CRspeed plastic block for the spacer. VERY SECURE holster.

Are you getting more flex from the mounting post from yours with the spacer? I'm thinking about trying some spacers on my revo holster.

Thanks,

Chris

• 1 month later...

I use a CW5 for my SP-01. A few observations:

- Rock-solid retention. Even with the lock off, you literally have to turn the holster fully vertical for the gun to fall out. It would be perfectly safe to use this holster without ever engaging the lock.

- When the lock is on, the gun isn't coming out until you start breaking plastic.

- The draw is lighting-fast. Nothing between this and a CR-Speed, and this includes unlocking on the draw.

- It is possible to drop the gun if you aren't careful when re-holstering. This happened to me once (not in an IPSC Match, and unloaded, thankfully) As mentioned above, there is no 'click' or other feedback when you put it in properly. You should hold it on until you've engaged the lock.

- No muzzle device.

- Not as modular as the CR Speed.

However, many of the downsides seem to have been addressed in the CW6!

I use a CW5 for my SP-01. A few observations:

- Rock-solid retention. Even with the lock off, you literally have to turn the holster fully vertical for the gun to fall out. It would be perfectly safe to use this holster without ever engaging the lock.

- When the lock is on, the gun isn't coming out until you start breaking plastic.

- The draw is lighting-fast. Nothing between this and a CR-Speed, and this includes unlocking on the draw.

- It is possible to drop the gun if you aren't careful when re-holstering. This happened to me once (not in an IPSC Match, and unloaded, thankfully) As mentioned above, there is no 'click' or other feedback when you put it in properly. You should hold it on until you've engaged the lock.

- No muzzle device.

- Not as modular as the CR Speed.

However, many of the downsides seem to have been addressed in the CW6!

Thanks for that! Seems that Shooter's Connection is the only place selling them and they only have the CW5. :(

I've got one for a revolver and I'm sorry I got rid of my Safariland. Hard to tell when it is locked in and if there is any movement other than a draw it better be locked. i.e., standing from a chair.

If you run a Ghost, Speedsec, etc. then you should use the lock if in a seated position because your leg can push the gun up and out of the holster.

For me, I can disengage the lock on my Speedsec revolver holster with absolutely no loss in time. From talking to folks who use the Ghost they say the same.

When you holster the gun you can engage the lock to make sure the gun is in the holster properly. If the gun isn't in the holster properly then the lock will not engage. You can just pop the lock on and back off as part of your regular "make ready" procedure and that way you will know that the gun is properly in the holster.

The Speedsec is a great holster with super retention when locked and still very good retention when unlocked.

Chris

When I holster, I always apply the lock then pull on the gun to make sure it's in. I've got a Ghost and it doesn't like guns with round trigger guards. I just wish the SpeecSec had a positive lock position like the Ghost.

I have one that I use for open and I love it. I got it from CPWSA for $89.00 but I don't think Chris carries them anymore. I put a 1/2" beveled spacer on the securing bolt and cut the shaft that the holster secures to once I was sure I had it set up the way I wanted it. I have two CR's and was determined to like them more than the Speedsec, but it didn't work out that way.

Tim

It's possible - but you have to move the gun up as well as backwards. Playing with my CW5, no amount of horizontal force will roll it out the back of the holster, even with the lock off.

Of course, the solution to this is easy - stick the lock on and don't take it off until the beep!

Edited by Lancair

The new Speedsec holsters to me look alot like the JR Holster brand out of the Phillipines. I could be wrong, but they sure look familiar. I emailed Speedsec inquiring about the new holsters I do like the idea of being able to shim the holster for different guns. That's what I like about the CR Speed.

Edited by Jody Waring