Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Creedmore Position in NRA Action?

Are any of you familiar with IHMSA Silhouette Creedmore position? You lay on your back and use your leg tripod to support the barrel. Is it a legal position for NRA Action? I'm a former International Class IHMSA shooter and can get into this position pretty quickly. I shoot an 8 3/8" Model 27 revo. so there are no safety issues. The barrel clears my leg by miles. It's done regularily at an IHMSA match. Creedmore just feels much more steady than prone to me.

Prone is the only optional position mentioned in the rule book, but there again, you could probably get a ruling on that from the NRA Referee. In years past, Bruce Piatt used to kneel in the Barricade box, and they finally outlawed that one, so it's hard to tell what response you'd get.

Short answer (even though I'm referred to by "friends" :roflol: as a "rule-book lawyer") is that I don't know on that one! :roflol:

Alan~^~

Edited by Alan550

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it that way, especially at the 50 yard Practical. Prone technically means horizontal rather

than vertical. Creedmore is just another version of prone. Don't forget your blast shield.

Edited by Toolguy

Who should I contact at NRA for a clarification on the Creedmore position? Also, does anybody know what the rules will allow in the new Production Division where it states: " Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm."

Specifically, I own a Glock 34 that has Dawson's adjustable sight installed. It was installed in the original dove tail--but I have no idea what they mean by "original configuration" The rules go on to say that Bo-Mar and Aristocrat type sights are specifically prohibited. It seems like a fine line between an Dawson adjustable and a Bo-Mar. Again, does anybody know a contact at the NRA where I could get a clarification?

Who should I contact at NRA for a clarification on the Creedmore position? Also, does anybody know what the rules will allow in the new Production Division where it states: " Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm."

Specifically, I own a Glock 34 that has Dawson's adjustable sight installed. It was installed in the original dove tail--but I have no idea what they mean by "original configuration" The rules go on to say that Bo-Mar and Aristocrat type sights are specifically prohibited. It seems like a fine line between an Dawson adjustable and a Bo-Mar. Again, does anybody know a contact at the NRA where I could get a clarification?

Tom Hughes is the Pistol Manager at NRA. He is on here as NRA Action Pistol. You can find his phone number and email in his profile.

If the Glock 34 is offered with adjustable sights and they fit in the original dovetail then you are good to go. My 686 has a set of Hamilton Bowen rear sights, not S&W.

They are talking about the Bomar and Aristocrat ribs and the Aristocrat rear sight. The Bomars that were commonly installed on 1911's do not apply in this case so they can be used.

Edited by Action Pistolero

There was a guy 6-8 years ago who used to shoot in a stretched out sitting position. Actually he was pretty good at it, and quite fast getting into position. If my recall is correct he was either a Brit or an Italian. Anyone else remember?

The recent rule book uses the word prone. My recall is that prone was the word chosen when we got freestyle back after the standing years. Personally, I think what was intended was freestyle, but since most freestyler either shot standing or prone it then just developed that way by default.

MJ

• 1 month later...

I remember someone shooting creedmore many years ago.

At the shooters meeting, 2 or 3 years ago, I questioned the Prone wording knowing that Jerry Miculek has trouble with his neck. He too used a sideways type of laying down and also played with the sitting with the gun between the legs. The concensus of the head table said they "meant" to say "freestyle" but they urged anyone using other than prone so see a judge before the match for a ruling.

I remember someone shooting creedmore many years ago.

At the shooters meeting, 2 or 3 years ago, I questioned the Prone wording knowing that Jerry Miculek has trouble with his neck. He too used a sideways type of laying down and also played with the sitting with the gun between the legs. The concensus of the head table said they "meant" to say "freestyle" but they urged anyone using other than prone so see a judge before the match for a ruling.

Bruce, I wondered this also. I am thinking of shooting metalic with my 9mm Clark hardball that was built by the Clark's way back in my PPC history. But, I too have trouble with getting that low and being able to see the sights. I could always get in the sitting position pretty quick in the old days!