Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill times

GMyers

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deflef,

Instead of being hits in the A zone it's now a group in the A zone, and if I throw one out of the group I know it. I've been tryng over the last six months or so to get to the point that at 10 yards I can shoot a 2" group as fast as I can pull the trigger, and still call all the shots.

I don't practice the Bill drill everytime I shoot, for me its more of a relaxation thing to get rid of some stress. I normally do it at the begining of practice after some draws.

2" group at 10 is totally amazing at BD speed, hat off! I am envious, because even at 94% Limited classification, I am SO far off what you can already do.... I have only occasionally managed a 2 sec BD, and I'm tempted to call those few times luck. Obviously, everyone has strengths and weaknesses, though with such strength in accuracy, I am wondering what exactly it is that you suck so badly at that you're a C shooter... but that would be thread drift, and we don't do that here :D:D:D

--Detlef

Just got back from the range. Shot a few bill drills. One of them was 1.72 all A's. Not a smoking time by any means, but i could fit the group in my palm and also saw a perfect razor sharp sight picture for each shot. Time seemed to slow down. That's never happened like that before and I thought it was pretty cool.

The operative word is "trying". I have my moments though. The only reason I'm still in C class is I don't shoot many classifiers and I pressure myself on them. I shoot limited-10 classifiers and don't really care what I do on them and I'm 17% higher. Shows what you can do when you get out of your way. I need more match experience too. I've improved a lot over the last 9 months or so but I don't have confidence in my new skills yet. Gimmie a little time. The last classifier I shot was Steel One, I got a 69% with a miss if that gives you a idea of my potential. My next skill to nail down is transitions.

• 4 months later...
The operative word is "trying". I have my moments though. The only reason I'm still in C class is I don't shoot many classifiers and I pressure myself on them. I shoot limited-10 classifiers and don't really care what I do on them and I'm 17% higher. Shows what you can do when you get out of your way. I need more match experience too. I've improved a lot over the last 9 months or so but I don't have confidence in my new skills yet. Gimmie a little time. The last classifier I shot was Steel One, I got a 69% with a miss if that gives you a idea of my potential. My next skill to nail down is transitions.

Hi guys,

is it good time for Bill Drill, at 11 meters (I think it is 10,89 yard) have 3,80 s.? Of course 6 A in target, 1. shot was for 1,32. I am in IPSC second seson, B class shooter in Standard.

I just did the Bill Drill for the first time. It was towards the end of my practice session.

I did ten draws from 3 yards--the high was 1.12 the low was .87 with a bunch in the .90-.93 range-head shots 9 As one B.

I did ten more at seven yards. The low was .92 with a bunch in the .95 range- all body As.

I did the bill drill in 2.04, all As. 1.04 draw. 1 second for the remaining 5.

I am a high C shooting an STI Edge.

• 3 years later...

Just wondering what kind of time everyone is running the Bill Drill in. I think I remember reading on this forum that 2 seconds was about standard keeping them all in the A zone...From a surrender draw, I only running 2.5 -265 keeping them all in the A zone...Shooting a Dawson Edge .40 in limited..Just trying to get a gauge my progress ..I've only shoot IPSC at 4 contest several years back before getting out..Now that I'm back in, I'm working hard to get up to speed...

That's a blast from the past for me though.

No lie! From that thread:

I am a high C, maybe low B shooter. I shot some Bill Drills today with my Glock 35.

I would figure my "par" time at 2.50 seconds. First shot was a little under 1.20. All Alphas.

My fast run was 2.19.

Yeah, I knew I'd regret posting that....I guess I was struck by a C-shooter (no, not anyone here, or regularly here) shooting 1.4* drills, with sub .7 second draw, etc. My words were too strong, and I apologize. :(

It's not so much dishonesty, as just ONLY hearing from those who *can* shoot < 2 second bill drills, but I think this is true of most of the "skills." Strictly from reading that thread, you'd think 2 seconds is reasonable for some C shooters, and by natural extension pretty average for B and A shooters.

It's like the threads on the plate rack. One might think cleaning the rack in under 3 seconds is a pretty average feat, but in stages I've seen that feature a rack, *some*, but not most, are shooting those times.

By definition a Bill Drill is one target 7 yards surrender start.

I have made great strides in shooting them from 5-50 yards in my development

I tend to do they at various distances as well, it's a good way to gauge how fast you can go and keep them all in the A-zone at any distance.

What distance are you shooting from? Doesn't that make a big difference?

The standard for a bill drill is usually 7yds.

To the original question:

I don't do a lot of bill drills...just a few here and there. With my Limited gun anything much over 2.0 means something happened like a bad grip, etc. I can usually do a smooth 1.8 to 1.9 cold. With my Open gun I'm faster and get noticably better groups. I only got back to shooting Open a few months ago so I don't really have a "par time" with the Open gun right now, but I know that a 1.8 is really easy with the Open gun. I'll add that when I do bill drills I'm not looking for the fastest time...I use them for timing and try to get my splits absolutely identical and I do actually get some where the splits are all the same...pretty cool! I remember one I did a while back that was a .98 draw with all .17 splits for 1.83 total...nothing spectacular, but I think being smooth like that will eventually cut the times down more than if you're at the ragged edge to start with.