• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have bought Ben's books.

But here in South Africa, they cost more than 80 dollars each - which is pretty expensive in a third world country. Our firearm market is just too small to be cheap

True. That is cheaper. But I prefer my training book to be made of paper.

I did buy Brian's book electronically, and that worked great - but it's not the same as working on a book full of drills - then I prefer paper. Maybe I'm just old.

We also pay about twice as much for guns as you guys do in the USA. Then we have to wait around six months for a licence to take possession (if it's granted). You have it good over there (apart from California, of course)

I've never taken dry fire serious, but now that I'm trying to take pistol shooting serious I've tryed to up the dry fire. It's nothing new to sit in front of the TV and pull the trigger once and rack the slide and repeat trying to focus on a smooth trigger pull. The problem I'm having is once I pull the trigger (striker fired guns) It's just not the same. I've tryed to just keep going and keep pulling the trigger but it's not even close to being normal. If I shot a glock I'd get a SIRT but unfortunately I don't. Will pulling a dead trigger do anything? Does it really help. I'm Leary to spend the time setting everything up and following a program currently.

I've never taken dry fire serious, but now that I'm trying to take pistol shooting serious I've tryed to up the dry fire. It's nothing new to sit in front of the TV and pull the trigger once and rack the slide and repeat trying to focus on a smooth trigger pull. The problem I'm having is once I pull the trigger (striker fired guns) It's just not the same. I've tryed to just keep going and keep pulling the trigger but it's not even close to being normal. If I shot a glock I'd get a SIRT but unfortunately I don't. Will pulling a dead trigger do anything? Does it really help. I'm Leary to spend the time setting everything up and following a program currently.

What gun do you have?

Here is what I did with mine:

VP9 and M&P9 pro. I can pull a trigger all day long smooth as butter when there's no releasing of the striker and it's totally different then actually pulling the trigger. I haven't tryed this on the smith yet but the HK does send the trigger back home but does not reset the actual striker or anything. So yes I could do what the guy did in the video and run around pulling a 1.5 pound trigger that has no "wall" or break but how is that going to help when it normally has a 4.5 pound break?

It helps because the trigger break is only about 10% of your shooting. Most of your speed will come from moving the gun between targets, moving yourself between positions, and indexing the sights quickly between targets. If you can get a quick, smooth trigger pull, then these become the important part. If you can't get a smooth enough trigger break, then you need to work on that as an isolated skill in dry fire in addition to the other drills

It helps because the trigger break is only about 10% of your shooting. Most of your speed will come from moving the gun between targets, moving yourself between positions, and indexing the sights quickly between targets. If you can get a quick, smooth trigger pull, then these become the important part. If you can't get a smooth enough trigger break, then you need to work on that as an isolated skill in dry fire in addition to the other drills

I thought about this all night and after you posted your response it pretty much says what I was thinking. I was so hung up on not having a trigger to pull but there is more to dry fire than just the trigger. Thanks for the reply. Gonna start some serious dry fire!

The M&P has a trigger return spring, so you can just pull the trigger over and over. I think the HK is the same way.

Glocks, and the FNS leave the trigger to the rear after you press it (unless the gun cycles), so there are all sorts of methods to rig them to work more like the M&P.

BTW, I thought that NLT was supposed to be releasing an M&P SIRT. You may want to check into that.

I thought about this all night and after you posted your response it pretty much says what I was thinking. I was so hung up on not having a trigger to pull but there is more to dry fire than just the trigger. Thanks for the reply. Gonna start some serious dry fire!
The person who gives that much thought to my comments is my wife, and when she does, it's usually bad for me.

The M&P has a trigger return spring, so you can just pull the trigger over and over. I think the HK is the same way.

Glocks, and the FNS leave the trigger to the rear after you press it (unless the gun cycles), so there are all sorts of methods to rig them to work more like the M&P.

BTW, I thought that NLT was supposed to be releasing an M&P SIRT. You may want to check into that.

Right, but it's still just a ~1lbs pull that doesn't resemble and actual trigger pull. I was getting hung up on that but now I think I'm past that realizing there is much more to dry fire than trigger control.

They have been saying a M&P SIRT is coming for a while. I'll beleive it when I see it.