Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum Gun Finish

Silver_Surfer

What is the toughest finish for an aluminum Frames? I have a Para P13 and want to remove the sharp edges from the frame. I know this would mean removing the anodizing in some areas. I want/need a finish thats tougher/stronger than the factory anodizing. Ibond? NP3? ect.

Thanks! :cheers:

I did search :ph34r:

Accurate Plating & Weaponry hard-chromed an aluminum framed custom 1911 for me a few years back. It looks great! Some platers won't touch aluminum guns, some will. It's a little more expensive, I'm pretty sure because they have to plate it with electroless nickel first.

I also have a Commander that got looking pretty shabby, so I had a guy bead-blast the black anodizing off the frame, which left a soft matte silver-color that looks really good and has held up perfectly fine on a carry gun. (He left the rails and interior surfaces--the areas where the hard anodizing might actually be doing something--alone.)

Edited by Carmoney

Look for a shop to hard anodize (MIL-A-8625), then you can Ionbond it to add color if needed. Ionbond is a hard finish but according to Ionbond, aluminum will still need to be hard ano'd prior to coating, otherwise it will dent underneath the finish. If you hard ano it black, no need to Ionbond it.

Look for a shop to hard anodize (MIL-A-8625), then you can Ionbond it to add color if needed. Ionbond is a hard finish but according to Ionbond, aluminum will still need to be hard ano'd prior to coating, otherwise it will dent underneath the finish. If you hard ano it black, no need to Ionbond it.

+1 on Hard Anodize.

Before you bead blast it talk to your Anodizer. The type of bead material can cause some minor issues with anodizing. They can chemically strip your current anodizing. This is what I do when I need to re-finish an anodized part.

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...