Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best gunsmith nobody has heard of?

R. Batt

Nobody has mentioned any gunsmiths from the northern Rockies. I'd love to have a local gunsmith, but maybe we are the one place in the country that doesn't have any.

Only one I can recall is Dave Lauck in Gillette, Wyo

otherwise you got ( cool revolvers ) John Linebaugh and Freedom Arms in Wyo. also.

When I lived in Boise..I sent all my stuff to Gary Kimball in Colorado Springs.

Edited by eerw

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve Moore builds guns for a boatload of Colorado shooters including Ron Avery.

He does not work in a store and does it because he likes to build guns. Great guy and reasonable prices.

He lives in the Denver area.

Steve builds a good gun..He is in Littleton..also down in Pueblo West is John Brandstatter. he does a really nice 2011/1911 and ARs and bolt guns.

Looks like Colorado might be my best bet for "local." I know that there is a guy south of Missoula, MT that used to build guns, but I think that he got back logged and quit taking orders. I think his name was Joel. He was the FFL for the 2007 Open/L-10 Nationals. At one point Gentry Custom had built a few guns, but I don't know if they still do. I think they're in Belgrade, MT. I haven't heard anything good, bad, or indifferent about these gunsmiths.

Thanks for all the replies. All these gunsmiths combined with the big name gunsmiths give a guy a lot of choices when looking to have a gun built.

Bob Serva and his crew at Fusion Firearms. Had them build me a 9mm and 40S&W Single Stacks that run like champs. Am having him build me an STI wide body type with a cut down tac rail as we speak. Great bunch to deal with and build quality.

• 1 month later...

JimJoyceCustom.com

Jim Joyce is a shooter and gunsmith that takes his time and does it right. Excellent fabricator. If you can think it, he can make it. Lives in W. Virginia and shoots all over South and North Carolina, Virginia, W.Virginia. His single stack mag wells are unreal! He built a single stack .40 for me that shoots into one hole and runs like the proverbial sewing machine. Fast turn around time too.

I wont say coz its a secret. I think it boils down to how much they

charge, reliability, and quality of their work. Besides we are all gunsmiths right?

We will do what we can to the builds of our project gun and send out the other fittings

that we can not do. Why? coz its FUN! I also think that its part of being an IPSC gun freak too.

BIIIIIG props for Craig maroviov, he originally built the Bill Davis PPC bull barrel revolvers, I heardthat he did the entire John Pride series, as for rifles??? wow he is secondto none when it comes to making a custom remington 700, he also does a great job on building up 10,22's too...but as he is a 1 man shop, he is about as behind as most good one's are, up to his butt in alligators waiting for someone to drain the swamp

Rick McDowell in Osceola, Iowa. He is great with any gun.

It's true, I've seen some fine work that Rick has done, and they all run great. Also, in eastern Iowa, Dick Becker is a whiz with Paras. I didn't know that Paras had a reputation for sometimes being less than reliable until I started frequenting this forum, because at his club everybody shoots Paras and they all run great! He's a salty old codger, but I suppose that's why he's so good, been working with Paras since they were frame kits. He's no slouch with other guns, either.

Edited by Revopop

Rick McDowell in Osceola, Iowa. He is great with any gun.

It's true, I've seen some fine work that Rick has done, and they all run great. Also, in eastern Iowa, Dick Becker is a whiz with Paras. I didn't know that Paras had a reputation for sometimes being less than reliable until I started frequenting this forum, because at his club everybody shoots Paras and they all run great! He's a salty old codger, but I suppose that's why he's so good, been working with Paras since they were frame kits. He's no slouch with other guns, either.

+1 on Dick Becker. He re-did the trigger on a used para of mine and it is so sweet diabetics can't come withing 10 feet of it! :surprise: