Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using the Nordic Components Comp?

tolson68

The only one I have seen is the one on the Nordic website. It's 0.750 OD with no taper, two side ports and four top ports. At this point I'm open to any suggestions. I've been considering the Nordic, POF, FSC, Ops Inc, Surefire. I am also looking for a comp for my 6.5G, which currently is running the Sabre Gill brake, but I'm tired of eating dirt when I shoot prone. The price of the Nordic has me intrigued, but only if it is also effective. If anyone knows who is selling the Nordic Corvette for the 308 that may work for my 6.5G if I can get 9/16 threading.

Kind Regards,

T

Edited by tolson68

I have shot the small Nordic comp alot....and I'll say....for what it costs,it is hard to beat. Now the Corvette comp is a larger version,so my logic is only gonna say it works even better. The small Nordic is far better than the Sabre Gill.

I have a Surefire on a gun that I use a suppressor on and it works well....but my preference in comps for competition is the SJC Titan.

I know CPWSA(cpty1) sells the Nordic and SJC Titan.

I may go with the Nordic Tactical for my 18" build, but on my 6.5G Sabre build I need to find a 9/16x24 threaded brake to replace the gill brake. I called Tim at Nordic and they don't make a 9/16x24 threaded version. The only ones I'm aware of are the Ops Inc and FSC Custom. Any others that I should consider?

I may go with the Nordic Tactical for my 18" build, but on my 6.5G Sabre build I need to find a 9/16x24 threaded brake to replace the gill brake. I called Tim at Nordic and they don't make a 9/16x24 threaded version. The only ones I'm aware of are the Ops Inc and FSC Custom. Any others that I should consider?

Henry Avant of SAW Custom makes great comps. Call him at 478=986=4156 and talk to him. Since he builds his comps in small batches, getting the threads you need should not be a problem.

Henry Avant of SAW Custom makes great comps. Call him at 478=986=4156 and talk to him. Since he builds his comps in small batches, getting the threads you need should not be a problem.

+1 to Henry....hes got a pretty effective design and he can get you the odd thread pitch for the Grendel.

I ended up cutting the threads off my Grendel and threading them 5/8x24 for the same reason you are having issue.

• 1 month later...

You might get Tim to sell you one unthreaded and have a local guy thread it in the pitch you desire.

I use the original smaller Nordic comp on my 16 inch 5.56 and I'm very happy with it-it works suprisingly well and cost me $39. Its also quieter than some. The most effective comp I've used (on a different rifle) is the Rolling Thunder, but it's about $100 and can be used as a paint stripper...

Well, it is called the ROLLING THUNDER and not the 'tip-toeing mouse fart'.... <_<

Rollin Thunder just plain rocks! But that said, I do like the new corvette comp I've got, and it just may find a home on a 16" middy that I'm playing with...

• 3 weeks later...

I just mounted a Nordic tactical comp on an 18 inch mid-length very light weight iron sight rifle and it actually pushes the muzzle down and slightly right. I was very impressed. Some judicial modifications should flatten the gun right out. It is also small, light and looks pretty good on that particular build.

I took my Corvette out and did a Bill drill with it at 15yds, the muzzle easily stayed on target, and the sights were always able to be tracked. BTW, its a 308 Corvette, and prior to this last drill the gun definitely had a tendency to drift right, Tim suggested drilling a port at 3 oclock and that took away the drift.

I also did head shot pairs out to 35yds, and was pleasantly surprised by the ease of return for the second shot.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Also, noticed that I could see a very pronounced muzzle flash even in daylight using Federal XM193.

Uhmmm....Been using the XM193 ammo. I don't care what comp you use.....you WILL see flash!!!

What is with that stuff? We've got video of some REALLY impressive fireballs coming off of the XM193 ammo.

Trapr ......that made a HUGE difference in the comp, didn't it? I never thought that an 1/8 hole could do that much to stop side movement.....what an eye opener :surprise:

Also, noticed that I could see a very pronounced muzzle flash even in daylight using Federal XM193.

Uhmmm....Been using the XM193 ammo. I don't care what comp you use.....you WILL see flash!!!

What is with that stuff? We've got video of some REALLY impressive fireballs coming off of the XM193 ammo.

Trapr ......that made a HUGE difference in the comp, didn't it? I never thought that an 1/8 hole could do that much to stop side movement.....what an eye opener :surprise:

Tim:

At Area 6 MG when we shot together I was using XM193 and you were using XM193F. At chrono I noticed your bullet speed was quite a bit higher than my own and if I recall correctly you were using a 16 inch barrel as was I. My rifle chrono reading was 3015.

Because of the impressive fireworks out of your comp, when I returned home I attempted to determine the difference between my ammo and yours and could find nothing definite. About all I learned was that XM193C means "civilian". Maybe the "F" means failed since it is loaded so much faster than the military specs.

And to be sure, the fireballs coming off of your comp against the stage with the black wall were indeed impressive.

I've mentioned this before....and I am hoping it is in the instructions, but....the thru hole in the Tactical comp is 6.5mm (.260") If you notice that your comp is dipping down too much for your liking you can open up the first port (the baffle right after the 3 holes drilled radially in the comp) to 6.8 (.270") or 7.0mm(.280") and that should bring you level. as for going right....it is little tricky but like Trapr mentioned, drilling a hole at the 3 o'clock position will stabilize the comp for right handed shooters.

FYI.....this should work with all comps as by drilling the hole bigger, you are allowing more gas to go through the hole, decreasing the pressure on the baffle that would be diverted to the side and/or top holes.

I personally have a CTR-02 with an 18" rifle gas system on mine and I've noticed that at 100yards....my muzzle stays on or dip ever so slighlty. Which I think is great as one little benefit to a little dip is when you are shooting rested....the forearm never leaves the support (IE....2x4 cross members). I have little or no right movement with my set up....of course, everyones mileage is gonna differ there.

Now on my 308 corvette comp...like Trapr, I did the hole in the high pressure port at 3 o'clock and yes, it settled the gun right in.....like almost perfect.

OHHH...almost forgot....I made a cool nifty little comp for my deer hunting AR.....bsically a tactical comp with no 2nd port....only the the 3 radial noles and a .255" dia exit hole. Not much for recoil reduction, but no more noisey than an A2 flash suppressor......no muzzle rise either. However.....shooting that XM193(F)......I get such a huge flash coming out the top that I couldn't see anythign anyways.......good thing I don't use that stuff deer hunting!!

Edited by TRUBL