Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Vinci

Merlin Orr

Woods and Water in Tuscaloosa AL has the Vinci for $250 off regular price right now, which makes it just over a grand.

I went in there to buy a 24 inch M2, but saw the Vinci. I didn't know the status of the extensions, so I decided to come home and see what I could find out.

Tim, you think you guys will have them into production by April 2012? I ask because that's when I finish grad school and will start shooting again.

BSG

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit up Gunbroker--that's where I found mine. It's a bit worn from hunting use, but nothing I wouldn't do to it myself in 3-gun (and have already done to my M2).

Actually, last I checked, Gunbroker had a couple of brand new 24" Vinci shotguns for around $950, buy it now.

Biggest reason I got the Vinci: the barrel is fixed to the receiver in a nearly free-float fashion. I have trouble with my M2's barrel and foreend coming loose when the mag tube nut loosens, resulting in larger slug groups and POI shifts. Also, the barrel lug design results in POI shift as the barrel heats up and expands, but most stages are short enough where this does not matter.

It's when the foreend comes loose that big problems start. This can be solved by running a barrel clamp, but barrel clamps themselves cause slug POI shifts.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started working on my Vinci.

The lifter has a special design that doesn't need to be welded up--in fact, it'll mess up the feeding if you change the geometry of the lip, which has a V-shaped guide that keeps the tip of the shells going into the mag tube from underneath and aligns the shells with the chamber from above.

The bolt release lever and charging handle don't need replacement, and the magwell doesn't have to be beveled out.

In fact, the only two changes that appear to be absolutely necessary are extending the mag tube and beveling the front edge of the mag tube (the end with the captured follower) to stop the tips of shells from catching on the edge.

Optional improvements: polishing the lifter to mirror sheen, trimming the magazine spring, and replacing/polishing the follower. It is possible to bevel the bottom forward edge of the magwell out to improve loading, but you must be very careful not to bevel it too much, or it will expose the edge of the mag tube, which--if too exposed--will definitely catch the fronts of inserted shells. And because of the way the tube can spin, it is not possible to simultaneously bevel one side to match any beveling of the magwell--at least, not without pinning the mag tube so that it doesn't spin and ruin the alignment of the beveling. I don't know if such pinning is possible or not.

---

I LOVE this shotgun--outstanding engineering and EXQUISITE ergonomics.

However, there are a few things that make it problematic for 3-gun:

1) The deep magwell means that you'll have to push shells up higher into the receiver than with an M2 if you use weak-hand reloading. This could be solved with very aggressive but careful beveling on the sides and front, watching the bottom front edge carefully. Otherwise, it forces you to be more articulate about your weak-hand-loading, with more emphasis on the first two fingers than with an M2.

2) The safety in front of the trigger is fantastic for stage starts, but it's equally terrible for putting back on safe before dumping into a dump barrel. I haven't figured out any way to do it (for righties with a right-handed Vinci) that doesn't require two hands--either:

a) bring the forward hand back and use its thumb to pop the safety on

or

b ) use the forward hand to rotate the shotgun to 3 o' clock so that the trigger hand thumb can reach forward and pop the safety on

Pros:

1) As compared to my M2, I'm not getting as scraped up due to the wider magwell opening and lifter design. I don't know what it is, but I can practice weak-hand loading for longer without my left hand getting raw, and this is without any additional beveling. My M2 has been beveled, but for some reason, it's harsher on my hand.

2) The near-free-float design of the barrel improves slug accuracy, especially as the barrel heats up.

3) That shell release catch is AWESOME--easy to press and far more comfortable than the old design. This really matters for practicing loading, if you typically unload your M2 by cycling dummy rounds through the chamber.

4) BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT OVER THE M2: the bolt release catch doubles as a shell release that allows you to strip shells right out of the mag tube. You just rock the bolt release catch backwards (and the design of the release is crucial to this, which is why you won't be upgrading it), and the shells pop right out into the front of the lifter (with its new design). Then, you push the lifter up with your thumb, and the shell pops into your thumb, allowing you to catch it and remove it. (Either that, or you can cycle the bolt, which will dump the round downwards without loading it into the chamber.)

5) My 24" Vinci weighs about a half-pound lighter than my 21" M2 with Nordic +5 tube. That's not exactly a fair comparison yet, since the Vinci doesn't have a +6 tube yet, but the Nordic tubes aren't that heavy, so my Vinci will still be lighter and easier to point.

Edited by dchang0

I have been keeping an eye on the Vinci for a while, just waiting for an extension to hit the market.....

I never paid much attention to the Vinci Cordoba or Vinci SuperSport as the barrel length is more then I want but then I noticed they both ship with Benelli's new Speed Bolt "a bolt inset with tungsten, designed for faster cycling, and handling loads as light as 7/8 ounce".

My M2 bolt was lightened and this seems to be going the opposite direction(it could still be lighter then standard), any input from anybody who may know? ...and is anybody lightening Vinci bolts yet?

Supposedly the tungsten insets result in a lighter overall bolt, so no, the laws of physics aren't being defied here.

I haven't read any hands-on reviews of the Cordoba that go into any detail yet--just a bunch of usual "I love mine" kinda posts, etc.

Edited by dchang0

morning lads, ive had mine for a year. i have never had any problems with mine. i cant put links on here yet as i not made enough posts but go to photobuket and look for vincishooter and youll see mine. i brought the mag extesion with the gun, then put a perspex extension on that so i now have a 10 + 1. to load it i use the chameleon double stack belt, a very well made belt.

@vincishooter:

Did you get the mag extension in the USA? If so, where did you buy it?

@everyone:

In light of the overturning of the sporting purposes rule, I've emailed Benelli USA when they'll start importing the factory 9-round magazine tubes, but they've not replied in over a week.

Please help by calling, emailing, or otherwise bugging them to import them into the USA right aways--thanks!

@vincishooter:

Did you get the mag extension in the USA? If so, where did you buy it?

@everyone:

In light of the overturning of the sporting purposes rule, I've emailed Benelli USA when they'll start importing the factory 9-round magazine tubes, but they've not replied in over a week.

Please help by calling, emailing, or otherwise bugging them to import them into the USA right aways--thanks!

bugged Benelli via email today :devil:

bugged Benelli via email today :devil:

Good deal. One cool thing about the OEM tubes is that there is a spot in the supplied case for the factory extension tubes, designed to accommodate one tube of any of the OEM lengths of 3, 5, 7, and 9 shells.

I emailed Benelli Italy too, just in case. They responded well to me the last time I emailed them.

Edited by dchang0

I shot my Vinci in the 3 Gun Nation Championship Event and it did great, I love this gun, I used a tube I had made, but I know that work is in progress to get some commercially available, so Vinci lovers jsut wait a bit longer and you should be all set

I did have

C-Rums weld up my lifter for me as well, as he does on the M1 & M2's, absolutely no way to hang my thumb now

I'll problably shoot this in most matches from here on out as I have a couple length tubes for it now

:cheers: Stand by

I was just emailed a reply from BenelliUSA today- statded that due to the ATF restrictions, yada yada yada, no extension tubes are planned for US. I emailed back with the "What about the Nov 18 law changes" question...we'll see about a reply.

I love my Vinci for duck hunting, but would love it even more if I could make 2 quick changes (add a longer tube and a pistol grip) and use it for 3gun. Any idea on when NORDIC is finishing their testing? I think the last post from them was back in October....I'm happy to help with testing if you can get the part sent to me in Dallas.

I was just emailed a reply from BenelliUSA today- statded that due to the ATF restrictions, yada yada yada, no extension tubes are planned for US. I emailed back with the "What about the Nov 18 law changes" question...we'll see about a reply.

WOW, Does anybody at Benelli use a logical thought process when it comes to what parts and products they offer???

Here is one of my recent exchanges with Benelli, hopefully somebody higher up will make this "right"!

Me:

Hi, Thank you for your time. I have a few more questions. Are Vinci barrels available yet? If so, how much? Can I buy the lightened Vinci Speed Bolt to put in my Vinci? What I really want is a Vinci Cordoba with a 24" barrel.

Thank you,

G

Benelli Customer Service:

G,

Extra Vinci barrels are not available for sale. That is the serialized portion of the gun and due to ATF regulations it would be like buying a brand new firearm. We hope this information helps.

Thank you,

Customer Service

Benelli USA

Me:

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me, I understand the barrel is the serialized portion of the gun, it's not a big deal to fill out paperwork with another purchase, I successfully managed it the first time.... Not selling separate barrels defeats the whole point of how modular the Vinci is from the very beginning. For example, it is no different then buying a stripped AR-15 lower receiver. I still have to fill out paperwork to buy a "part" when I purchase a lower. No offense but Benelli is missing the boat on this one. If you sold separate barrels you would have the opportunity to tout the Vinci as the only platform/shotgun a customer would ever need to own. With the November 18 law changes regarding imported shotguns and extended magazines you could be offering a completely modular or "Double Vinci" package system that could go from high capacity tactical or 3 Gun shotgun to upland bird gun or sporting clays shotgun and what about your customers who simply need a slug barrel?

Regards,

G

end of emails thus far

As much as I want a Vinci, Benelli may have just killed it for me, I would have to buy 2 of them, may as well keep my over under, God forbid I ever need a slug barrel in the future, 3 Vincis, I don't think so. I understand it is more then just a "barrel" and would not be inexpensive. So what was the point of even making it modular? Benelli could have designed the coolest travel case in the world for a "Double Vinci" package.

I think you are spot on with the Double Vinci idea. Great marketing and product design ideas you are sharing with them. Tell them your consulting fees and have them hire you as a US Brand Manager for Vinci/Super Vinci products. Sales would increase, I'm sure. :cheers:

I'd have been all over that package!! Seriously, I'd drop the money on a 21st century shotgun package like that. What amazing flexibility!!

Are the barrels captive to the receiver and that's their hangup? All this seems silly in some ways.

Oh well......