Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressor for a Pistol

PHolsted

I have an AAC Evo and am very happy with it. I use it on several handguns and my SBR AR-15 in 9x19 that I had threaded 1/2x28.

From 20-30 feet away you pretty much cant tell the difference in cans. Ammo and powder choice has a lot to do with it.

I don't like the Gemtech multimount or Tundra because they clearly used the Evo as the template (The AAC pistons and adapters even work in the Gemtech's.), I won't reward them with my money for borrowing someone else's design, though it should perform like the Evo.

So if you own a 1911, who was it built by? I hope it wasn't a manufacturer who "borrowed" the design.

OTOH, comparing two sealed cans makes it somewhat difficult to accurately claim that one was based on the other. And as you are surfing for info, keep in mind that some websites have an obvious bias.

Also, it's not surprising that two cans of the same diameter use the same thread pitch for their mounts.

It's not the actual "can" part that bears more than a striking resemblance - it's the Nielsen devices used on the cans. As stated, the device used on the Gemtech Tundra and Multimount is so similar to the AAC Evolution Nielsen unit that the pistons from one can be used in the other. I'm not aware of such inter-operability between the Nielsen devices used by any other manufacturers (e.g., YHM and SWR aren't the same, and neither is the same as the AAC or Gemtech either).

Nothing to do with thread pitch, either - threads are standardized across the board, more or less. We're talking about the designs of their boosters.

BTW, you can't seriously compare any such case to 1911s or ARs, because those two designs are openly published (at least in part due to their use by the US Government). It's not like AAC went and posted their Nielsen specs out there and said "hey everybody, this is how we make our boosters". <_<

Testing shows that the Tundra actually meters the best out of the smaller-diameter cans, though the difference between the top performers is very slight. Based on what interaction I have had with Gemtech (and experience related to me by a friend, who has a Tundra pending, actually) - which has been very good - I would have no qualms about dealing with them, depsite the curious similarity in their boosters.

More on topic... still waiting for word on my F4 for my very own Trident (and Spectre)...