Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressor for a Pistol

PHolsted

I have a few suppressors one for my 223 AR and another one for 22 Rim Fire. I also have RRA AR9mm and have been wanting to get a can on there for a while but when I get one I also what to be able to use it on a few of my pistols.

I have a few 1911 9mm, XD 9mm and a M&P 9mm.

Any suggestions as to what pistol a can would work better on and what can that would be easy to change from the AR to a pistol?

Thanks

Patrick

I shot a suppressed M&P 9, we put a storm lake barrel in it that was threaded 1/2x28 and it ran perfectly. That is the same thread pitch of alot of AR-15s so it would have been easy to twist off one and on to the other. Sorry I don't know the brand of can used, but with my 147gr minor load it was very very quite.

Been looking for the same thing regarding a 9mm Suppressor that will work with a 9mm AR and a Pistol. Check out the AAC Evo 9. Rated as one of the best plus the booster version (thread pattern works on AR & Pistols as Dan said) will allow it to work on about any pistol you can get a threaded barrel for plus they include a solid spacer to disable to booster function if you wish to use it on a rifle/carbine. Best of both worlds!

Whatever you do, don't try to use a 9mm can on a .223 (and obviously not a .223 can on a 9mm). The .223 pressure will cause the can to fail immediately. 9mm AR's normally have 1/2 x 28 and it would be fine to interchange but I wouldn't guarantee a 9mm will be threaded 1/2x28. I've seen my share that are 9/16x32.

As far as cans that will work, several manufaturers make them. Gemtech Trinity or Multimount (they changed the name 2-3 years ago) and YHM Cobra are the two I'm familiar with. I really like my Gemtech. It works great on a Glock 17. All three of the guns you mention will either require or benefit from a recoil enhancing device. Linear Inertial Decoupler is the name Gemtech uses. They're all variations on the Neilsen device and add recoil to the gun. Since the suppressor is hanging off the barrel this is to allow tilting barrel guns to function.

Also you may want to be cautious about YHM. They are under orders from the ATF to not sell they're various mounts without a suppressor attached. Basically the ATF is saying that every part of a suppressor, including the mount is a suppressor. As far as I know YHM is the only company the ATF has given this directive to. Not sure if they're using YHM as a test case or what.

Also you may want to be cautious about YHM. They are under orders from the ATF to not sell they're various mounts without a suppressor attached. Basically the ATF is saying that every part of a suppressor, including the mount is a suppressor. As far as I know YHM is the only company the ATF has given this directive to. Not sure if they're using YHM as a test case or what.

So would this mean that the 4 YHM QD mounts are now un taxed non serialized and illegal suppressors?

So would this mean that the 4 YHM QD mounts are now un taxed non serialized and illegal suppressors?

No clue, I doubt the ATF thought that far ahead. But try buying another one from YHM if you don't believe me. For awhile they had some info on the website. They seem to have taken it down, but the Cobra mounts are no longer listed. FWIW, it didn't seem to apply to .223 QD mounts or mounts that could double as flash hiders, just the stuff that was only for cans, like the recoil boosters. I think the way ATF worded it was if it had no other use than to function as part of a suppressor.

YHM has already filed suit aginst the ruling, all the other manufacturers are holding their breath or signing on.

Up to this point I would have suggested the YHM 9mm Cobra M2 Modular Suppressor.

It works with pistols, rifles and autos, but now you can only get one mount.

What does the ATF see different between multiple QD mounts and multiple threaded barrels?

It's based on the definition of a suppressor. I was a little incredulous at first but if you read what the statute says, it could go either way. The difference is that threaded barrels have purposes other than sound suppression. You can put flash suppressors or comps on them. The parts ATF is coming down on only used for sound suppressors, like the LID device or mounts that have not other purpose than to attach sound suppressors. The QD mounts that double as flash hiders or muzzle breaks seem to be exempt, for now.

The SWR Trident is arguably the best 9mm Can out there and should work well on any of your pistols with the L.I.D. If you do not want to mess with a L.I.D. then a Beretta 92 would be a good choice...but the L.I.D. is a lot cheaper than another pistol.

A whole lot the the 9mm AR's are threaded 1/2-36

Yea, most 9mm ARs and their flash suppressors are 1/2-36 so that you can't screw a standard 1/2-28 .223 suppressor or comp and blow the gun up. I had my 9mm AR barrel threaded 1/2-28 when I had it cut down so I could use a can on both it and a pistol.

-rvb

Any part of a suppressor is a controlled part and cannot be possessed by an individual. this includes the baffles, spacers, end caps, etc. The end cap is considered the part that holds the can together. Any adapter that screws into the end cap to attach it to the barrel is not a suppressor part and can be sold individually. That is why you can't buy different end caps to fit different barrels but you can buy different adapters. That's also the reason why you can't buy replacement parts such as baffles, you have to return it to the manufacturer for repair. As mentioned above, the Colt AR's in 9mm are usually 1/2-36 and most of the aftermarket 9mm uppers are 1/2-28.

I picked the evo 9

A whole lot the the 9mm AR's are threaded 1/2-36

This is correct and not just colt, for example model1sales 9mm uppers are also 1/2-36.

I just noticed the adapter I got with my AAC M4-1000 has a YHM logo on it.

My 1k also came with the YHM mount but the 3 prog "tuning fork" mounts that came with the 2k and 762sd don't have anything stamped on them.

I would argue with the SWR Trident as the best, best for the money maybe.

The Trident has been top dog for a while. However, one must also realize that there are, in effect, two "classes" of 9mm cans - those with 1.25" OD and those with 1.375" OD. Obviously, the latter has an inherent advantage over the former due to a larger volume.

1.25" OD cans include the AAC Evo-9, the Gemtech Tundra, and the SWR Shadow-9. The Tundra meters better than the rest.

1.375" OD cans include the SWR Trident, Gemtech Multimount, and the new AAC Ti-RANT. Prior to the appearance of the Ti-RANT, the Trident always dominated in suppression. However, preliminary testing of the Ti-RANT is placing it on the same ground as mid-range .22 suppressors! :surprise: Of course, the price tag on the Ti-RANT is far greater than the cost of a new Trident.

I myself have a Trident waiting at the dealer for me... (F4 should be back soon, hopefully).

I just noticed the adapter I got with my AAC M4-1000 has a YHM logo on it.

My 1k also came with the YHM mount but the 3 prog "tuning fork" mounts that came with the 2k and 762sd don't have anything stamped on them.

AAC's Phantom flash hiders were stamped YHM because they licensed the phantom flash hider from YHM. As part of that agreement, they put the YHM logo on the phantom even if they were made in house, which most of them were.

AAC no longer produces the phantom design because it has been surpassed by the Blackout, so they no longer have to pay for the Phantom design license. The Blackout is a better design to reduce flash and it is tougher.

To the OP, I would recommend the SWR Trident or Evo 9. The Trident is more quiet, but I haven't shot the latest Evo yet. I run my Evo on all my 9mm's including my STI 2011, Glock 17 and my 9mm AR15 SBR. I typically use the piston thread mount, but I use the 3 lug adapter for my AR. If you have the money, the new AAC Ti-Rant 9mm would be sweet. http://www.silencerresearch.com will be releasing its yearly 9mm review. I don't like the Gemtech multimount or Tundra because they clearly used the Evo as the template (The AAC pistons and adapters even work in the Gemtech's.), I won't reward them with my money for borrowing someone else's design, though it should perform like the Evo.

Edited by Chris Martin

I don't like the Gemtech multimount or Tundra because they clearly used the Evo as the template (The AAC pistons and adapters even work in the Gemtech's.), I won't reward them with my money for borrowing someone else's design, though it should perform like the Evo.

So if you own a 1911, who was it built by? I hope it wasn't a manufacturer who "borrowed" the design.

OTOH, comparing two sealed cans makes it somewhat difficult to accurately claim that one was based on the other. And as you are surfing for info, keep in mind that some websites have an obvious bias.

Also, it's not surprising that two cans of the same diameter use the same thread pitch for their mounts.

And no, I don't have cans from either company. Just seem to see a lot of people parroting the bias from one particular website as if it were the undisputed truth. Maybe it is, but I'm not going to take internet conjecture at its face value.

As to the OP's question, I'm very happy with the Trident 9. It works well on a number of host guns, and the thread mounts can be ordered in a number of different thread pitches to match whichever pattern your barrel might have.

DSC07899.jpg

DSC07423.jpg

DSC07203.jpg

Edited by Garrett